Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 merc. vinyl roof /complete top

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bsa_bob, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Heres another side to the coin. Carson padded tops have aways made me look closer at 49-51 Mercs .I i have seen or heard that this would be the only way to make it more kustom and to get away with this problem.Seen quite some who have done this @ lima ohio kustom kar show in the fall. any NAYS on this idea????

2. Slopok

Slopok

Carson top style would be way better than just a vinyl top. That would totally cure your problems while looking good as well.

3. :):):):):):) thats had crossed my mind. thanks for the inspiration bob s

black or White? ----Slopok!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. There is a lot more to doing a Carson top than just whacking the top off and replacing it. The top is a major structural part of the car and when removed something has to be done to the body and frame to replace all the integrity that is being lost by removing the top. Why not just get it fixed properly? There should be no reason that it has to be redone every couple of years if done properly.

5. Ido agree to what you are saying but i am getting older all the time./ retired. and the right guy could do this Carson top. i'd be really happy no more bodywork for along time

NO! NO! You missed the point Iwould do A fake top no sheetmetal loss at all. This kar is to nice to start another chopping session on it. but thank you for the vigillance in my topic bob s

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  6. wish i could load up pictures again

7. Slopok

Slopok

Don't know what color your car is but I have only thought White always looked good!

8. Its that dark blue metallic--found on the S-10 extremes. Black might bring the kool factor bettr than white? i would think. The 49 ford red convert i did 11years ago, the black hartz cloth top against the red bottom.top couldn't be any other color once you see it--------JMO

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

If you have rust coming through the paint, then glue vinyl over that, rust will just come through the vinyl too.
    and it'll do it much faster than you might imagine under the right conditions, because the vinyl traps moisture where you don't need it.

10. No rust whatsoever the metall was well cleaned and primed . Theres no breaks in the paint just those darn bubbles starting to come up. It isn't terrible but its right at eye level wher it can be seen fairly easy thanks for the reply We here in michigan -15 degress last winter 5 foot of snow on the ground and more after that . My storage isn't heated and it got damned cold in there, bondo can't take that much cold, unless its a really thin coat on the kar. bob s jmo

11. Slopok

Slopok

Do a sample with a swatch of each first. But I think White would look bitchin with that Blue. My friend had a Merc that was a dark House of Color blue with a real Carson top that was white and looked great. Wish I could show you a picture. Blue interior to.

12. twochops

twochops

13. Slopok

Slopok

Now that looks good. Maybe because there is no chrome trim surround.

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

If it's not rust making the paint bubble, then what is?

Every time I ever dug into a paint bubble on a car it was rust causing it.

15. This merc looks good to me This is a vinyl top i assume? see the seams, but not a carson style type. Sure would take care of the top popping again bob s thanks loads for the picture
    You are probably right ,i am not denytinh that ..i figued the very cold weather and the stell sweating and shrinking between the bondo and the steel.

16. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

the vinyl top would cover up alot.....make the bodywork a little easier.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

There is never movement between the bondo & the steel unless the steel wasn't clean & rust free. Then there is always eventually swelling & bubbles. Rust takes up more room than the steel it came from & thus the swelling.

18. twochops

twochops

1102rc_06_o+leadsled_spectacular_custom_car_show+1941_buick.jpg Here's a photo of the front when it was in ROD and CUSTOM 1102rc_06_o+leadsled_spectacular_custom_car_show+1941_buick.jpg

Ulu likes this.
  19. Slopok

Slopok

The fact that the car above is a hardtop adds to the look. Don't think one with posts will pull off the Carson top look as well as that one does.

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'd like to see a P15 with that treatment.
    I really like the HT Carson look.