Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cammer: the real story of the legendary 427 Ford sohc v8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Don't know if you've seen it or not, Bill, but there's a thread on here somewhere that I posted back in 2012 with lots of entries from members with some interesting photos and stories about these killer engines. If you can find it and link it here all of the info could be viewed in one place............Don.

3. 69supercj

69supercj

Did the cammer come with different styles of heads to choose from? Just noticed the pic above has the sparkplugs entering at the bottom of the valve covers as opposed to the top, which is common.

4. 69supercj

69supercj

Disregard, I just read the first bit of the article and found out that the early motors had the plugs on the bottom side. Never knew that before!!

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Great read!!! Thanks for sharing. As far as the head I understood that they experimented with the spark plug location.

6. unkamort

unkamort

I was a car crazy 10 year old when the cammer appeared on the cover of hot rod... after that there was no redemption.

Attached Files:

seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  7. In 1966 I was working as parts manager for a Ford dealer. One day I got some literature from Ford regarding SOHC engines that were available. The dealer price was around 3 grand which was about the same price as a new car. Don't know if they were off loading all the leftovers or what. Wish I could have bought a couple dozen and rat holed them for 50 years.

Deuces likes this.
  8. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great article as usual, I always look forward to your threads. They are always very informative with great pictures.

turboroadster likes this.
  9. I found that part of the story fascinating -- they spent untold hours perfecting the combustion chamber shape, only to learn it didn't much matter.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. The September 1994 issue of Super Ford magazine has a definitive article on the development of the Ford 427 SOHC Cammer engine. The article goes into great detail of the changes made from the first series, which had the spark plugs on the lower side of the valve covers and canted valves to the second and current series which have the spark plug tubes on top of the valve covers and opposed valves (Hemi) which increased the horsepower output over 100 more than the previous series.

11. Attached is a scan of the Super Ford Mag. article. Enjoy

Attached Files:

Deuces, 550Coupe and loudbang like this.
  12. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Here are some stroboscope videos of valve testing showing the spring oscillations and valve float on a SOHC.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  13. Last part of article

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. frank spittle

frank spittle

\'65 SOHC.jpg I found this very interesting Bill. It is proof at least one was sold to the public. Wonder where it is today.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  15. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Those videos are nuts!

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

63 Ford Indy Engine.jpg [​IMG] The two best engine magazine cover shots ever..IMO..

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Thanks for those links, loudbang.

Deuces likes this.
  19. Damn they are one sexy looking engine. What were the production numbers??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Darn good question but Ford never released a figure.

21. I don't know if Cooper actually owned the car or if it was a courtesy loaner from Passino.

22. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I figured the valve action would be a hell of a lot faster at those rpms..... :rolleyes: