Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Re: How to un-chop a `32 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sailingadventure, Feb 13, 2014.

1. merc53pu

merc53pu

I wish I had of known about your roof raising project earlier.
    Over the last 20 years I have chopped several 32 & 34 fords. I believe I have all of the pieces we cut out saved up in a 5 gallon bucket somewhere.
    Looks like you've done an excellent job.

2. Nothing wrong with "look what I can do" posts.....what I need is some of those "where the hell am I gonna' make some money" posts....so I can give you something to "look what I can do" for me, please. :) You guys are amazing. Real deal craftsmen......and to be honest with you.....nothing is more frustrating then watching someone like you "work".....and then try to find the same kind of capable "craftsmen" locally. Having said that, there is always a premium in discovering someone with your talents, deservedly so. BUT AGAIN, trying to convince some of the morons one typically finds in these endeavors, that no matter what THEY think....they will never come close to your level of talents, and my level of satisfaction. Hence the appearance of a sometimes bald spot above each of my ears, and black and blue between my eyebrows....with me ripping my hair out....and banging my head upon the nearest solid wall.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. Hill_County-rodshop

Hill_County-rodshop

Nice work, but I would've left it chopped! Guess the ole sayin' is right....opinions are like a-holes everybody has one.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's some great work there - keep it up !

5. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

OK, here are a few pictures of the exhaust system. Steve bought some "U" bends to make the turns in the pipe and cut them to fit, kind of like making a set of headers. After tacking the pipes together they were TIG welded. The pipes have flanges to make possible to remove them when needed. The flanges were not welded on the end of the pipes, but a couple of inches back and the pipes slipped into the mufflers for a more air tight seal. Heat shields were made by welding a couple of bolts on the pipe where needed. A piece of the pipe was cut out and spaced with lock nuts.
    The upholstery of the seats is on hold while practice continues with the new sewing machine.

001.JPG

002.JPG

006.JPG

Meanwhile, the fenders are being prepped for paint.
    007.JPG

009.JPG

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice sedan, basic traditional hot rod with quality work. Thanks!

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This car is turning out great... Very nice work, guys!

Malcolm

8. ken1939

ken1939

Outstanding work. I do appreciate you fixing this chop and letting us in on it.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a few more years, you guys might actually get good at this. ;)

10. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

002 (800x600).jpg 001 (800x600).jpg 002 (800x600).jpg 003 (800x600).jpg 027 (800x600).jpg 030 (800x600).jpg View attachment 2773431 038 (800x600).jpg 032 (800x600).jpg Well, it`s been some time since I`ve updated this thread, but we`ve been busy. Steve is just about finished with the interior and here are some pictures.

The interior is finally finished and now it`s time to get the fenders ready for paint.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  11. brady1929

brady1929

12. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Looks like you guy's figured out that sewing machine,look's great.

13. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Things sometimes move slowly around here but the car is finally roadworthy and has been driven some to shake out the bugs. Here are a few pictures of the `32 as it is now. We were moving things around the shop this morning so I took a couple of pictures. The videos were taken in January. Steve`s working in the fenders and hopes to have the car completed soon. Mooving Day 011 - Copy.JPG

Mooving Day 013 - Copy.JPG

Mooving Day 019 - Copy.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Very very nice. I see the glass has a blueish/ greenish hue. can you fill me in on what glass you have used?

15. Harps

Harps

Great to see it on the road. Love the video and picture updates.

16. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

I think it`s just the way the camera recorded it. It`s automotive flat laminated glass that was cut to the patterns Steve made. The glass has a green tint.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Loved how you did the top - and a very good thing to think about (having something solid to glue the material too! ) Was wondering if you'd ever thought about an 1/8" piece of other material - like a poly/plastic type stuff? I guess the top material should never leak, so it doesn't matter . . . just pondering out loud!

Great post!
    B&S

18. Very, very nice. I'm curious, what was the donor car for the 3 speed overdrive?

19. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

It was a `51 Ford. We used a transmission adapter, but what a pain in the ass it was to make the clutch work with this set-up. Ford disc, chevy pressure plate, and we put in the wrong release bearing the first time. Pulled the transmission, replaced the bearing, still wouldn`t release. Pulled the transmission, saw that the hub on the Ford disc was too long to let the release bearing push the pressure plate down far enough to release. Had to cut the hub down. Re installed everything, still wouldn`t release, SHIT! Then we played a little with the clutch linkage ratios, made another arm for the cross shaft, still wouldn`t release. Then I decided to put some very thin washers between the pressure plate and flywheel. This would reduce the pressure plate spring pressure a little, but not enough to cause a problem. It also moved the contact point between the release bearing and the pressure plate spring back and gave enough travel to work. SUCCESS! And then we moved on to the next problem. The car would go into low gear once and reverse once, but then it would lock up. What the hell is wrong now? It seems that when the used shifter was taken apart the last time, some dumb-ass (ME) put the spring that pushes the shifter into 2nd gear when shifting from first to second, on the wrong side of the shift arms. Now the shifter worked, but the transmission still locked up when shifting from first to reverse. After another sleepless night, I pulled the shift plate off of the transmission and realized that when I built the transmission, I had re assembled the low and reverse arm on the wrong side of the slot in the reverse gear. This also engages the part of the overdrive that allows the car to back up. Finally everything works , should have used a 5 speed, but this is a traditional hot rod and we wanted it to be period correct.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great work !......

21. banginona40

banginona40

22. scotti32

scotti32

23. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Great thread from first to last. Fresh save...

24. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

25. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

26. Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That sounds good, like a small-block should! Outstanding. Love all the vintage corvette parts, like the engine mount and nine fins, really nice. I think the chop is right on the money. What a nice car, beautiful work.

Had to listen again, what sweet music...

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Really like the aqua pinstriping...I'm guessing the cam is an 097?

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

From kinda "ratty" looking to an absolutely gorgeous auto- nice job. A+