Register now to get rid of these ads!

Round 6 Sydney

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Aug 17, 2014.

1. spanners

spanners

What can I say. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    We had 4 HAMBsters front up for round 6 of the championships series. It was good to see Joe there after a lengthy layoff due to medical issues but he'd lost none of his edge.
    The first 2 qualifying runs saw me against Al in the Chev powered machine but I left him snoring on the line and took the win with a 14.5. I'm not sure why the time was that good as I'd been running 14.96 at Willowbank, Qld the previous weekend, did nothing to the HAMBster but it ran sweeter. I even had the same tank of fuel from the weekend before.
    Joe was up against his son Jeff but as his car hadn't run for a few months his fuel pump wasn't working right so Jeff took the win.
    Next qualifying run had me against Jeff with Jeff taking the win.
    A 4 hour wait for the first Chicago shoot-out had me against Al again with the win going to me by half a car length. Joe and Jeff were up next and Joe was on the money.
    Unfortunately as Joe and Jeff finished their run the rain started so that was it my friends, WASHED OUT AGAIN.
    You'll have to excuse the video as I forgot to take my car camera so the only ones are the videos the missus took on her digital camera.

2. 14.5, awesome result from the little grey, certainly a credit to you. Good to see you guys at it.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

3. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are sure rock'n down under! You might want to consider letting your wife take all the video in the future. I personally like these types of shots, not just cockpit only views. Those are great too but your wife's allow the viewer to see the action in both lanes.

4. Old28

Old28

Great videos and you guys have some great tracks to run at. Keep the pictures coming.

5. spanners

spanners

Thanks for your kind words. I've passed them onto my wife who is planning to upgrade to a camcorder type unit so that she can zoom in on to the cars.

6. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't wait!

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Really enjoying your latest vids. Very nice strip, too. Well appointed, and not overbuilt, still has a good country feel to it. Wish I could come race there. :cool:

8. spanners

spanners

It would be good if we could get some sort of "cultural exchange program" going. We'll bring our cars over to race and then on the return trip, slot a few of your cars into the container to race over here. I don't think there would be any dramas finding places for you to stay, at least on the East coast.
    We might even be able to apply for a Government grant to help towards costs. Well, the politicians can do it, why can't we?:D

9. I love the idea spanners, albeit I suspect the polly's would have already spent the budget.....that aside, Mokan next August? ;-)

Cheers,

Drewfus

10. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An International HA/GRster Fest! Great idea! I hope Old6rodder picks up on this idea. The SDRA and NWVD guys could be invited and maybe our Maple Leaf associates will come down. A single year may not be enough to put it all together though. I sure hope that it comes to be. I would be a real shot in the arm for the category.

11. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

I wonder if we could get a good deal on a container to send a whole bunch to Mokan. That would be so cool, then the Westies could maybe make out east for a trulie international meet.

12. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Nigel, that would be a great incentive for us to get it together to get to Mokan

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. spanners

spanners

Don't you love it when a plan comes together . Well, not exactly together but at least run up the flagpole and see who salutes.
    I'm in.

14. certainly a logistical and expensive flagpole....although a while back I did wonder how many 'partially disassembled/flatpacked' HA/GR's could be packaged into a 20' container, as it's not unrealistic to unbolt the front and rear ends fairly easily, allowing multiple to be packed side by side and if fitted into a pre-organised frame with room to spare if doubled over the top.

15. spanners

spanners

I'd say first problem would be number of cars going, next would be ensuring our cars would be certified to race in the U.S.. I'd hate to get over there only to be told " stick it back on the trailer , you ain't racing".

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Depending on the meets you select, it'll be different. That said however, I think your sanctioning organization's already stricter than the NfHRA where it handles our cars. We run under slightly less stringent rules than the fast boys at most meets here, due to our limited speeds & ets.

Also, for any small items I've no doubt what-so-ever that our guys'd find ways to get y'all up to snuff. :cool:

17. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

A high space 40 footer is only about $3500 each way. Double height you would get 8 cars in one container I recon.

18. Apologies' if I'm being a bit 'reserved', as I'm only going off previous importing experiences (3), but the kick in the guts is the 'other' charges that creep in and each time have almost doubled the cost, taxes, fees, and the fine details.
    On face value I feel that the opportunity is awesome, and if worked through as a group affordable if planned ahead, the biggest challenge is probably working through the detail, and then everyone coming to the party.
    Certainly worth going through the numbers to see what it would add up to make it a reality, as we'd also need to get ourselves there and back, with time to join the dots. Will talk to a friend who sent his car over to Bakersfield and back, and see what he recommends in hindsight....