Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Gentlemen,

Here's a link to my favorite shots from Four Ever Four's Antique Nat's, Mazooma's work..
    Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. Old28

Old28

Thanks for the link old6, nice pictures from the "Pit". That new "Down Under" hot clutch is working real well and turning you into a serious nostalgia bracket racer. Keep it Up.:D;)

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Here's a link for Primer Podcast's video of first round quals (thanks, Rex).

The 'Brick's at 0.46 & 5.20, but the whole thing's well worth watching.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Eli's been by the last couple days, and has finished up the nose art. :cool:
    First meet for it'll be Butch's August ANRA, weekend after next. :D

Tink 7.jpg

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

COOL! Nice job on the details.

6. bobw

bobw

Love the nose art. Having this thread come to the surface caused me to re-view the Antique Nationals videos and the Podcast. Sure looks like a great time. The Brick looks so good in motion.

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

How did you run at ANRA?

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Mixed weekend. Car ran great Saturday (though I didn't), but broke on the last run, so Sunday was spectating only. :rolleyes:

The weather was hot, but once again there was a decent breeze mitigating the heat the whole weekend. The evenings and nights were cool and star studded. It's always nice to get to see the Milky Way up there, due to the city's lights we don't get to see it down here in L.A.

Only two of us HAMBsters were there, so first qual on Saturday we decided to use for T&T, and run for HAMBie on the second. Fortunate, as that first run I couldn't find second gear with a GPS and a Sherpa. When I finally did, the race was already logged in the books. Kay took some videos from the sidelines, but we'll need to work on the techniques with that camera a bit yet.
    Here's the GoPro from that run (feel free to ignore the shifting).

Second run I did better, but Jeana rushed it a bit, catching the scarlet uh-uh from the tree. I then managed to do something to the timing gears about half way through third while chasing her down, and the 'Brick was really popping and spitting as I pulled off the strip. There's now about 30* of slop between the crank and the cam. I won't have time to get down to the garage 'til next week, so I'll let y'all know what I find then.
    And here's the GoPro from that one.

Jeana went a round on Sunday against Joe Barton and his new car, then gave it up to another crimson eye on the second.

Here're a couple pit shots.

ANRA III \'14 001.jpg ANRA III \'14 002.jpg

The thing atop the Dodge is a wing tank I sold to a friend up Fresno way, we transferred it to his trailer at the meet. He's going the motorcycle engined LSR car route with it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  9. spanners

spanners

You might of trashed the cam bearings allowing the gap. Unusual though.
    I watched the videos and the car is sounding good in the first run, still sounded good in the second . I've lost count of the times I've missed a cog.
    One thing I did notice is when you downshift at the end of a run you get a bad gear clash. Try giving the engine a sharp rev just as you pass through neutral as if you are double shuffling and you might find it meshes smoother.
    Keep us posted on what damage you find.

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Maybe you got your Gremlin wet?

11. spanners

spanners

64 DODGE 440, now you're showing your youthful age. (polite wasn't I ?)

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

No need to be polite. Dick (Old6rodder) and I have been hanging out and messing with hotrods for well over 50 years now. Every day that I get up is a good day. Had a big wake up call over 6 years ago and it's all bonus time now. Loving every day and enjoying every bit of harassment that comes my way. :p

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I do know how to tap'er half way through a downshift, but sometimes I just get lazy and let the poor old synchros do all the work.
    OK, it's really most of the time anymore. :rolleyes:

Hadn't thought of cam bearings, but I doubt they'd produce that much slop. My guess at the moment's that the drive pin on the cam sprocket's either broken and/or wallowed out badly. Perhaps due to an insufficiently tightened Jesus bolt.
    I've been using a double row aftermarket timing set, primarily for it's ease in re-clocking the cam, but can go back to the stronger stocker set if necessary. Also, should it be the pin, I can add more of'em when I re-clock a stocker.

Polite? That's spelled too closely to "police", and we avoid both out of long habit.
    Hell, we're acerbic enough with each other that on-lookers sometimes think we're about to start swinging. Maybe came close once or twice over these (mumble) years, but haven't yet. :D

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Second guess.

I've been told of multiple keyway crank sprockets that broke a keyway separator, and showed exactly the symptoms the 'Brick's exhibiting. Never seen it myself, but it certainly covers the points.
    Hope to get a peek next week.

15. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Love the Go-Pro video........that's so cool having the engine along side you!

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, but I'm working on a pair of 3 cylinder distributors to put on the slant so I can make believe I have two engines like you. :D

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

When you get the results of your exploratory surgery on the Brick post some pictures of the results. Don't forget to save the broken bits for to "Offerings to the Gods of Speed". :rolleyes:

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Welllllll .....

I got this week pulled from under my feet, so will have to wait 'til next Monday to dig into the 'Brick.

However, I did finally manage to get Kay's video of our second run Saturday to upload to YouTube.
    Here 'tis (such as 'tis). :D

Actually, here're all three in what they call a "playlist". :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  19. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

I am working on my camera work, honest.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

So ......

Finally got to dig into the 'Brick. The upshot's that My first guess was mostly right, the Jesus screw on the cam sprocket'd loosened up, and that sprocket'd backed out enough to come off the drive pin.
    Fortunately there was no damage, and all I had to do was add a star washer to secure things, then paste'er back together.
    Alas, nothing worth pictures. :)

That drive pin's a bit short to my way of thinking anyway, so perhaps over the winter (if we have one here this year :rolleyes:) I'll cobble up a longer one.

21. spanners

spanners

You do know that the chewy, I mean gum, that you're masticating (my big word for the day), is mean't to be applied to the sprocket to lessen the chance of it becoming unattached.
    Good to hear there's no major damage but I bet you'll be keeping one ear open for strange noises for a while.

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yes, I will. And NOT the deaf one. ;)

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

They're both deaf. o_O

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Only around my wife. ;)

25. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

I heard that!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. spanners

spanners

Of course you heard that. It's only males who have the hearing problem, or at least, I think that's what I heard.

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

The 'Brick's all loaded up on'er trailer, the motel's booked, the schedule's firm, and I'm ready to roll.

I dunno, perhaps I should wait to pack my toothbrush. o_O

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Are we there yet?;)

30. siderod

siderod
    from Lacey, WA

Also loaded up and almost ready to go looking forward to some good racing.