Register now to get rid of these ads!

***U.S.A 1966 a Hot Rodding Trip of a lifetime.MANY pictures***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

2. Wow. Glad this thread popped back up, I'd somehow missed it before. Fantastic shots, story and trip. Just wow.

I saw the shot of the xPak and laughed. I had the trading card when I was a kid (still do, I think)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    kidcampbell71 and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

There's only one word that comes to mind when i see this thread, and that word is ENVIOUS.... Awesome!

4. flatoz

flatoz

5. What a trip.....today's reading and of course 45 years ago. Excellent show. Two thumbs up.

6. No book yet, ay? Googled what I thought would hit a switch, but only a link back to here. Would totally buy it too...just like everyone said 8 years ago. LOL just sayin'.......thanks though!! Awesome story, and pictures.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I love this car.

8. flatoz

flatoz

I had always dreamed of doing a book , but they take time and money and I have a young family, and both Dad and I are building another car each so focus is else where, but I would still like to document it a bit more.

Luckily for me, one of the guys on the trip told me that dad wrote a diary everyday, so it shouldn't be to hard to sort it out. He also did a map of exactly where they went and most of the slide I think were dated too.

On top of that, his memory for this trip is as sharp as a tack, I only wish it was that good as to where he put some of the hot rod parts I have given him to store that I want back!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. bt34

bt34

Awesome...great story..thanks...

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I wish I had seen this thread earlier, it's just fantastic. Thanx for the time capsule / trip. Gary

11. 80WTI

80WTI

Great thread wish i found it years ago.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A shot of "Back in the Day". You have one cool old man!

13. This is a great treasure, thanks for sharing with all of us...Tim

14. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

Really enjoyed this thread. It brought back many memories of 66 and that whole time period.

15. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Truly captivating - these pictures are invaluable. The story greatly enhances this time-capsule experience.
    I spotted one show rod "Little blue pearl", Plymouth Sport Roadster 1932 which is nowadays owned by a Finnish rodder, though I'm not sure if this one pictured might be the black colored clone built by Howard Armstrong.
    Little blue pearl was on ISCA 1965-66 show tour, so the time frame would be spot on. Screen shot 2014-08-23 at 7.15.19 PM.png

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This site is amazing and the inter-tie between the US and OZ is still alive and well at least in the Hot Rod world. I recently received a P.M. from Peter Swift advising me of the fate of a mutual friend who lives very close to him. Harry Wright, a New Zealand hot rodder who moved many years ago to OZ so that he could be near more hot rods, old4dlvr here on the HAMB, has been hit with dementia at the age of 64 and was missing for a few days on his way home from a swap meet. His future is not bright at this point. Harry and I have been friends for 20+ years and he has introduced me to Eddie Ford and I have stayed at his home in Chewton, as he has stayed with us when in California. When we were first hearing bits and pieces of what happened to Harry, out of the blue, Peter (who I knew of but never had the pleasure of meeting) P.M.'s me to bring me up to date on him. After reading this post and being close to the age of these guys, they would probably have driven through the Northern California town I grew up in and still live today on their 1966 trip. Fast forward to 2015 and we still have hot rods and friendships. Thank you Peter for your kindness and concern. Thank you HAMB for the inter-tie. Regards, USMERCUTE

17. Wow, this is an amazing thread!!!
    Thank you for sharing a great adventure and memory.

18. Wow, I missed this thread before now, and what a thread it is! Thank you for sharing the trip in the time machine!

19. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok....this is great!
    but I do have to ask........
    so you decide to take a trip to the US to do the "Hot Rod" scene......
    my question.......all the folks you met.......did you just bump into them along the way......Weiand, Scritch etc?
    There is definitely a book due with all of this!

20. Just found this thread for the 1st time. Wow!
    To travel back in time and ride along..
    Spring of '66 I was born. It would be cool to see the world then.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Glad this one got bumped back up, never seen it before. '66 I was heading into adolescence (12), car crazy, & chicks were becoming more interesting all of a sudden. Damn good times, thanks for posting this great trip and jogging my memory!

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Awesome stuff thanks for sharing

23. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a trip of a lifetime... thanks for sharing! Did that book project ever happen?

24. flatoz

flatoz

Baumi.

Not as such. Its been rolling around in my brain a lot of late. Even moreso as i was planning a US trip and am now here and visiting some of the places my dad went to.

We have been conversing via email and skype and his memories are still very sharp and vivid of his time here, even now 50 years on. So i think i would like to look into doing something. I did start to video him. So need to get back onto it. Even if i just get his memories down on video. Then sort it out later. To be honest even if just for myself.

As regardless of this trip. He also built, before this trip one of , now , Australia's best known early hot rods. It won some trophies and got into some mags. So personally i really need to document this before its too late. for family reasons if nothing else. Piero from mad fabricators did a bit on him in one of his videos. Luckily the old mans pretty fit for his age.

brad2v and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. brad2v

brad2v

To reiterate what's been said often, how did I miss this, and, wow, what a fantastic story and set of photos

26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yeah. Hey Peter- I remember meeting you and your girlfriend when you were over. That was when Steve was staying at Chuck and Nancys, I think.....

Hey MercUte....Harry and I go back a long way as well. In fact he sent the rudest Telegram when My wife and I tied the knot. Nearly 20 years ago now. I saw him when he was over last and staying with Mike and Judy Lawrence, but have not heard how he is doing of late....

27. Just went thru this thread and am also wondering how I missed this before..............although I must admit that I remember reading about this trip in the 1st issue, Winter 1967 of Australia's Custom Rodder magazine that Eddie Ford published.........brought back a lot of memories as I originally bought that issue at the local newsagent on the way to school back then..........lol........many thanks to Flatoz and especially his Dad for keeping the slides all these years.........regards, Andy Douglas

28. flatoz

flatoz

Well I got back up the farm and the planets aligned and got Dad to drag out the slides. I managed to get some more photos that weren't included in this thread and better shots of others. There are a lot more scenery shots and just general day to day shots as well. I have some of those here that are the more prominent places in the US as a comparison to now. I'll try and post them up in groups with explanations so it might take a few days so check back.

[​IMG]

Fred Steele's Center door T , Swifty standing in it.

checking out the Fall foliage in New England in Fred Steels A Tudor, chopped but they seats aren't lowered, made for a really bent neck. Fred and Eddie Fords standing next to the A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Covered Bridges tour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hershey swap Fall 66

[​IMG]

Freds company car parked outside the hotel at Hershey. Barry Fletcher standing at the door.

[​IMG]

29. flatoz

flatoz

Freds wagon, nice looking car this one.

[​IMG]

Hershey again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Steele Family residence

[​IMG]

30. It is a shame to have low resolution scans when it isn't terribly expensive to pick up a used 35mm digitizer such as a Nikon Coolscan. I used an LS2000 for my thousands of family slides and they're now on ebay under $100. Capable of quickly extracting all the resolution available within any focused slide.

Don't want to rain on your parade, the content is great but if this information if helpful to anyone, my pleasure and your gain.