Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Mike's Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ford Mike, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Haha you guys must know by now I don't update this thread with every little thing. I need to wait until I have made some good headway first! It's getting a little better as we speak

2. Yeah yeah. Every 'little' thing. Sure.

sko_ford likes this.
  3. Looks great Mike! I love seeing the progress on IG

4. snot275

snot275

The headway you just made on IG seems pretty significant to me! Looks great buddy!

5. Yeah, it looks great!

6. Thanks guys!!!

7. That color is rad

8. A little update since I'm kind of letting this thread fall behind...

I am at a point where I want to steadily improve the car without fully disassembling it. I saw someone on here used a Farmall tank and I thought it looked pretty cool so I found one for real cheap and tried it out.

[​IMG]

I cut it up, sandblasted the inside, welded it half way back together, and thats it. Never finished it but I did find a super awesome gas cap for it. I'll wait to post that until I finish the tank.

I also got started on some headers. This was the start of the drivers side...

[​IMG]

As usual I didn't finish the header project and just slapped the drivers side together. The passengers side currently has a stock exhaust manifold.

Mel also had me paint the roadster before submitting it for The Race of Gentlemen so I did a quick rattle bomb that turned out far better than I expected.

[​IMG]

Numbered and ready to race.

[​IMG]

Lots of people asked me if the number 85 mean't anything. I think I added this somewhere else in this thread but this car has 5/15/29 stamped on the tank. That generally was either the build day or the car was build shortly there after from what I've read. We got this car running again on 5/15 or 5/16 this past year for the Jalopy Showdown which was basically 85 years from the build date.

Zach Suhr invited me a few months back to come run with the roaring roadsters at the EMMR Convention. Luckily I was able to have the car in running again after a quick trans swap a few days before.

The pits...

[​IMG]

A few pics I lifted off HotRod Jen's Facebook page. (Sorry Jen, these pics are so cool I had to share!)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Had a great time hanging with some awesome guys and gals. Wish I could have stayed for more runs, really looking forward to next time!

I had a semi serious ignition malfunction and ended my day after one run. Something was shorting out in the generator causing it to drain the battery and not produce enough juice for the coil. I got home and swapped it, now its running just as strong as ever.

My focus has somewhat shifted but I still plan on making some more upgrades to it before its beach run in October

26 T Ford RPU and gwhite like this.
  9. Wow wow wow! Freaking loving this!!!!!

Now, down to business...so you swapped the coil? What coil were you running? What coil are you running now? And what's with the Sugar City Speed Shop decal? Isn't that the two-bit operation run by @JeffreyJames? (Just kidding JJ, love your stuff) :D

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  10. Actually the generator was shorting out. That intern was causing the battery to drain as the car was running. Eventually the battery and generator weren't making enough power for the coil so it was breaking up at anything over idle. Its currently running a modern epoxy coil. Eventually I'll back date to something more correct to the era but its honestly way to fun like this at the moment. JJ has supported me quite a bit during the build, he's a good guy, most of the time that is!

11. That is just so damn cool!!! JW:D

12. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm glad you were able to make it down and have some fun with us on the race track... The car is progressing great and turning into something to be proud of.

Keep up the good work!

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

You know this is one of my favorite hot rods right now, right?

14. Majo

Majo

This is a beautiful traditionally built roadster. I like this.
    Dirt track racing with hot rods is better than formula 1. :D

Majo

15. Mike, sorry if you've already covered this, but is that your stock '29 hood? Looks like a good fit to the later grille shell. Did you do anything special? Car looks great in action!
    Thanks,
    Jim

16. Jim its a completely stock hood. I had to modify the grille a TON to get it to fit but I finally got it and it was worth it in my opinion. I guess it fits pretty good because I'm only running rear latches on both sides and it never blew open going to or coming from the track

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    gwhite likes this.
  17. Thanks bud! It's slowly becoming more and more refined.

Woah man theres got to be cooler cars out there besides this heap! Thanks for the kind words

Thank you!

18. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Car looks awesome man! Looks like its a blast to drive.

19. Man life's been a real blur since I updated this thing last. To be perfectly honest I don't even remember what I did to it, I know finishing the exhaust was part of it, but at any rate it made it to The Race of Gentlemen and ran like a top the whole time. Heres some pics, all rights go to their owners, I didn't take any of these pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and the Flyers also invited me to the club prior to TROG, still really excited about that. The numbers were painted on Friday night by my bud Anthony D huge thanks to him and Tuki. They made the car into a race car.

[​IMG]

I've got some issues to address as far as suspension. And the fact that the car is too low and basically has none but I've got it sorted out in my head. I just have to knock out some work for some buddies before I jump back into the roadster but I've got some plans to finish the car and make it drivable. I have a solid direction to I want to go and it pretty much only hinges on me finding the right parts. It should be pretty cool come next spring...

20. It's pretty cool right now!!!

Tuck likes this.
  21. Olson

Olson

It's a great feeling seeing young guys like yourself jump in on this stuff with such great enthusiasm...nevermind the fact of how damned freaking cool your car is turning out to be. I love it!

22. Looks like and old timeeee Hot Rod right there!!!

23. Great shots, glad to hear the ol gal ran fine. I'm jealous, wish I could have been there!

24. Damn cool and great pics. You have really captured the back then factor, top job !! JW :)

25. So you're tired of going fast and you're going to swap in a 'banger, right :)

Love this car and seeing all the updates on IG. Glad to hear she ran well at TROG!

Tuck likes this.
  26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

how about posting your IG address so we can see the pics, purdy please

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hardly any out there with the soul you've instilled in this one though.

28. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Was checking it out Sat at TROG car sits just right not to low by my eye.