Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Merc help

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by eok1121, Aug 15, 2014.

1. eok1121

eok1121

I'm in the process of customizing my 1950 Merc and I am in need of some new side view mirrors. Looking for suggestions on where to get something that is paintable and good looking?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Painted mirrors?

saltflats likes this.
  3. U-235

U-235

I don't think painted mirrors will go over very well.....this is supposed be a traditional forum....painted mirrors reek of 80s and 90s......stock mirrors from one of the suppliers will work just fine, and, you only need one...!

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Painted mirrors go quite well with square headlights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mercurys are special, they are not making any more of them. If you are not up to this level I suggest keeping it stock.
    [​IMG]

5. Slopok

Slopok

Nothing painted will look good!

6. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

If that's what you want then do it.This is a pair of 70's GM's on mine.
    Sorry that I didn't have the imagination to chrome them or hang them off the top of the door like others would like. mx2.jpg

40fordtudor likes this.
  7. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

Yep painted mirrors aren't for me but its your car and I think you should build your car.
    There is alot of people on the hamb that aren't traditional but are building some great stuff
    and I love seeing all of it. Good bad my opinion is still the same, Gene Winfield put hydrolics on
    a car before a lot of us were born! Was that traditional?? my car is on a chevelle frame, I got it that way,
    it drives champion and its my daily driver. Its got peeps on it and they aren't the best. I wouldn't mind
    something that works better that would work for all you purest guys that tell me im doing it "wrong"!!
    Give me a break, custom and hot roding is making the car cooler or faster, the way you want it not some dick head on there high horse!!!!! You guys make this not fun. I am part of a 1947 coe build that got kicked off of here because
    its not traditional enough for this forum!!!! It was kind of funny how many people were following it;
    its too bad really.

Jenkkiauto and tudor30 like this.
  8. TJratz

TJratz

Well Said fittyford, well said.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those Camaro mirrors do not look right on that 51 pictured above. I have a good view here from my high horse, I can see everything.

what does Gene Winfield putting hydraulics on a car have to do with ugly mirrors on otherwise cool cars?

pecker head likes this.
  10. threewindow

threewindow

A restored car is a restored car . A custom is what you like. whats the problem. Maybe what I should say is what i like. Lighten up, a restored car is just an antique.

11. Hard to go wrong with a $29 peep mirror.

12. threewindow

threewindow

A 51 mercury is an ugly duckling that can be turned into a beautiful kuston easier than any other car.

13. Peep peep....Sorry those mirrors go hand in hand with 70s caddy tailights on Mercs.

14. threewindow

threewindow

Theres no such thing as a good looking rearview mirror. They all look like crap on a kustom. Just kind of need one. I would like to hear some good ideas thats not just a slab of chrome. If I hauled it on a trailer guess I wouldn't need one.

15. Maybe 60's f100 mirrors

16. banditomerc

banditomerc

You have hit a nerve!....STOP!

17. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Here's a shot of those no imagination peep mirrors on a 51 they worked OK. All eokll21 asked was for "suggestions" so he could see somesort of options for HIS car.Not a "Custom" but I took the Peeps off my '40 and addded hinge pin mirrors because I can see whats behind me/coming up to pass. For a 40 the cowl mounted mirrors "look the best" but everone says you cannot see out of the passenger side. Just my 2 cents

18. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

missed the upload

Attached Files:

19. banditomerc

banditomerc

here is a peep mirror that works great for me on a daily basis,....lol...eok1121, are on a 'Traditional Customs'site afterall.You mean you didnt expect the lashing you're getting?in the end it's your car and you will do what you want to it..enjoy

Attached Files:

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Although everyone has a right to build his/her car any way they please, this particular site is for hot rods and customs built in the style that were built in 1965 and earlier. But don't take my word for it, read what Ryan says:
    "The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That's right; TRADITIONAL. If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum."

If you want to run those less-than-attractive late-model mirrors on your Merc, go for it! But don't expect to get very many "atta-boys" on this particular forum. :)

pecker head likes this.
  21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

22. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

If you mount the cowl mirrors here no problems on passenger side. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408553588.672542.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

23. bottom feeder

bottom feeder

you don't need no mirrors

24. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

This is so true. I like other stuff, and it took a while for me to understand the culture here as well... but if it doesn't fit in with what Ryan said then it really doesn't belong here.

25. atomickustom

atomickustom

Oh yes you do!
    I drove my car on one trip without any and it was all good until I tried to merge onto a highway. I could NOT tell if there was a car coming up behind me on the left or not! Scared the crap out of me. Put the mirror right back on when I got home.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Ya. Peep mirrors on a Merc are dumb.
    like in my avatar.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First suggestion is to go to the front page and READ what Ryan wrote about this being a "traditional hot rod and custom" board and any and all should fall within that criteria.

That said the Camaro/Mustang style painted mirrors just don't cut it here. They just don't look right on a proper traditional custom 49/51 Merc either.
    From experience on my old 51 Merc peep mirrors at the top of the door frame are about useless even though they look right.
    [​IMG]

Why not something simple like a mirror for a 57 Chevy? Ebay item
    260401995177 as an example. Clean, fits the time period for a traditional custom and they aren't too spendy.

Or a simple 60/61 or so Ford Falcon mirror that is small, round and has a stand that slants back rather smoothly
    191443465816 Again as an example.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015