Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some stainless cleaned up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHIPPIE, Aug 2, 2014.

1. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Here's the deal - I had some brushed stainless steel floormats & door panels laser cut - bad news is, the stainless suffered some minor scratches during the process and I need the scratches gone before the install ~ not to mention it's driving me frickin nuts!
    ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME?
    Door panels are 12" x 14" and floormats are about 12" x 22". Custom fabbed for 3/4 scale roadster.
    Any assistance in locating someone who deals with this type of stuff is greatly appreciated.
    THANKS HAMB'Rs!!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406957592.378343.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. redo32

redo32

Red ScotchBright. Elbow grease, steady even pressure, back & forth, back & forth and back & forth. If the scratches don't come out you may have to resort to sand paper, maybe 220 grit and finish with ScotchBright. It won't match the factory machine finish, but is good looking if your careful.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Yip red scotch brite, just made some stainless handrails for a customer this week and that's what I use to blend in the finished end caps and mounts to maintain the even brushed affect.. Works a treat..

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

X2 on the scotch brite. And you can use it again and again after the install as the scratches and scuffs will never stop coming. Gary

5. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Thanks for the info - has anyone ever clearcoated their stainless? Can it be done? Anyone done it and what were your results?
    Thanks again HAMB'Rs !!!

6. Yip I've used a product over here made by Wattyl called Incrylac clear laquer, it's good stuff as it etches to the metal, if it's in a high wear application it may not be to durable though..

loudbang likes this.
  7. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

I'd prefer to use a power attachment to do the work for me - anyone have info on what to pick up to polish it with a drill attachment? I have the attachment - just not the product to use that will buff out the little scratches...
    Thanks HAMB'rs!!

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Check with the DeLorean restore guys.

9. flthd31

flthd31

Did quite a bit of stainless finish work for a hospital equipment manufacturer. We used these Bear-Tex wheels whenever doing flat stuff like you have. They will take all of your surface scratches out. Puts a nice even grain in (with some practice) that you can quickly make finer by finishing with scotch-bright wrapped around a wood block. I don't have a source but they are quite common. Made by Norton.

Attached Files:

10. I work for a company that does a lot of custom Stainless steel work. We use scotch brite on an inline sander to blend scratches and welds. It works very well.