Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Wheels still at the powder coaters. Tonight we made up new flanges for the quarter windows. The racers who "built" this body for racing simply torched out most of the old window mounting flange. Jimmy and I whipped up a pair of new flanges with the brake and shrinker/stretcher to accommodate glue-in glass from behind..Also gives me a base to screw my garnish moldings to. Before we can install them, we need to remove the last vestiges of the old, torched-out old flanges....hopefully this Friday night.
    An added flange will give a place for the headliner and it's bows to mount..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looking good Rocky , Still need to stop by some time and check it out in person,, Tim Jones

3. Each side has 7 different pieces, counting the garnish molding...what a pain in the ass! Thanks a lot, stock-car racers, for torching my car apart.
    I still need to make a mock-up window from 1/4" plywood and include the butyl and gasket between the glass and garnish to set the offset between the two halves of the new flange. Then, well weld the halves together. 34windowflange1.jpg 34windowflange2.jpg 34windowflange3.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  4. Looking good!

5. It's amazing what a man can do with a shrinker/stretcher,the quarter windows are looking good. HRP

6. Amazing stuff brother!!! Keep after it. Tim

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice job on the window framework. Stuff like that can really take time (that you dont always plan for)

8. Al.....the added flange at top and bottom of "outside" flange is for the garnish screws to screw in to, the upholstery to attach to and the top flange will be drilled to accept the top bows for the headliner. Yeah, I know, it's hard to visualize but when it's all in place, it'll be apparent. Hell, I may even mount one of my chromed coat hooks to that flange too.
    The outside piece will be welded to the inside piece which will in turn be welded to the body at the inside of the window hole...see? Simple!

9. got the ravaged 34innerquarterwindow.jpg 34innerquarterwindow.jpg lips cut off the inner 1/4 window openings in prep for the new glass mount flanges.

10. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Looking great, I,ve just fixed the same problem on mine.

11. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Nice metal bendin Rocky. Getting closer

12. Got one side done on the quarter window flanges. The bare metal part welds into the lip on the inside of the quarter window. The glass, represented by a piece of 1/4 inch plywood in the photos, lays in the bare metal flange after it's welded in to the body. The glass has a piece of black rubber mounted around the outside edge to protect it against the bare metal flange on one side and the surface of the garnish molding on the other. The garnish snuggles up against the glass's rubber gasket and holds the glass in the car...simple, no?
    I brought the flange home to grind the welds so it fits up flat against the inside of the window hole and the glass rubber will fit flat against the flange after grinding. We still haven't welded the corners into the garnish moldings yet...coming next Tuesday night when we'll also weld the new flange into the window hole...then we'll make the other side and weld it in.
    When that's done, we'll go on to the other 4 items on my list which are a lot less complicated and less time consuming. When we check off all the 5 34quarterwindows8_14.jpg 34quarterwindows1_8_14.jpg 34quarterwindows2_8_14.jpg items, it's time to bring my baby home to my garage where I'll build the chassis. I'll be able to go out to my own garage to work on my 34 any damned time I please. I won't have to drive 15 miles to Jimmy's body shop to work on it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  13. The plywood "window" has a rubber gasket all the way around the outer edge of it...doesn't show very well in the photos
    34quarterwindows4_8_14.jpg 34quarterwindows3_8_14.jpg 34quarterwindows4_8_14.jpg 34quarterwindows5_8_14.jpg
    The last photo [fuzzy] shows the gap between the garnish and the flange for the door panels and the headliner to fit. They'll be pinched under the garnish moldings.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    english gent and Hotrodmyk like this.
  14. I'm back working on mine again after a long hiatus. Doing similar stuff with the windows. Lots of work for sure.

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great work guys, can't wait to see it done,, Tim Jones

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

looking good get those 5 things checked off and that sucker back in your garage! everything goes faster in the rocky good time cave haha

17. It's been a long time since I've posted but I've been busy workin' on the car. Got the MoPar wire wheels back from the powder coaters a few days ago. Jimmy and I got the quarter window housings welded in place,got my quarter glass cut and checked that off my list BUT! While standing around shooting the shit, I happened to peek up under the windshield frame to see a giant void under it at the top of the car.... We forgot to finish out that area before installing the windshield frame! Got one side done and still need to finish out the other side.
    Scored a master cylinder adapter to bolt a modern M/C to my old 39 ford pedal assembly. 34quarterwindowfinished.jpg 34wheelsdone.jpg 34windshieldpost2.jpg

Hotrodmyk and daddio211 like this.
  18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Rocky -- great to see the progress!

19. Slowly but surely. HRP

20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Lookin awesome!!

21. Rusty

Rusty

Cool too see some progress

22. Got the driver's side of the windshield hole finished and repaired the passenger side also. I can check THAT off my list. Still plugging away on this body and I should be bringing it home to my own garage before the snow flies. {Fingers crossed!} 34WScornerR.jpg 34WScornerR1.jpg 34WScornerR2.jpg 34WScornerR3.jpg

23. Great to see the progress! Thanks for the call the other day.

24. Finishing up the last things on my list. Note the half-checkmark next to #4. Jimmy says he hasn't ground the welds yet and so it gets only a partial check mark. We welded a piece of 1/8th inch in where the hinge use to be to keep the inner structure complete. 34list.jpg 34doorhingepatch.jpg 34doorhingepatch1.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  25. Have the passenger door off now, finishing up a few partial welds and repaired a few rust holes in one of the door tops. Made patches to fill depression where we deleted the top door hinge and installed them both in the door jamb and door itself. Can't tell there was a top hinge ever!
    More work tomorrow night.

daddio211 likes this.
  26. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Nice to see some progress.