Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for you painters

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36tudordeluxe, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Am using a single stage acrylic enamel (PPG DELSTAR) for spotting in small repairs but I end up with a "ghost ring" around the repair area where the new paint apparently eats into the old paint; wet sanding & buffing doesn't solve the problem. I was told how to avoid this problem but lost my notes. I believe it was suggested after laying down the final coat to come back and lay a light coat with only 10% color with hardner. Does this sound right? Have tried using "blend" in a spray can but got nothing but serious runs, later noticed directions said for clear coat.

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Enamel by it's nature is a poor blender at best. Spray complete panels, save time, material and money and achieve a flawless repair first time.

loudbang and GEEZZER like this.
  3. Did you seal and prime the repaired area including the overlap?
    ^ very had to blend enamel, but it can be done.
    How old is the paint job?

4. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Paint job is about 10 yrs. old; I do prime and seal in that order rather than seal & prime, could that be an issue? The area is where rear bumper brackets pass through to the frame, very small area about 6sq. inches each side.

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What color and type of paint?

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

As said, it can be very difficult, sometimes impossible to pull off a flawless blend on enamels. They cure so hard, it is very tough to get the new paint to completely melt into the old. The ring you see is the thinned out new paint just laying on top of the old.
    I've done blends where I've had to, but painting a whole panel is preferred. To do a blend, I usually paint the area until I have good color coverage. Around that area I will mist a coat of reducer (the same you're using in the paint) , the slowest I have around. Wait around 10-15 min, and do another to be sure if is going to soften up, 2 coats will do it. Then put another coat over the repair, but go farther out, into the "misted" area. Follow this up quickly, with another mist coat to melt in the new paint. Another mist coat, even farther out, followed by another paint coat, again, going out a bit further, and again, another mist coat to melt in the new paint. Let dry, and then VERY carefully buff it out. If you sand or buff too much off, you lose the blend. a light scuff with 1500 and light buff does it for me.

7. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Used to be a piece of cake with the old lacquers but the tree huggerstook care of that for us!

loudbang and GEEZZER like this.
  8. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

The color of the car is in the thread here. Here's photo of repair area.

Attached Files:

9. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Back in the day , we would only blend acrylic enamel @ the sail panel after a 1/4 repair or replacement. Never looked real good. Mikhett is correct, the only good blends were done with lacquer or acrylic lacquer. Back then quality standards were nothing like today. Kinda retired but still fool around with paint a little [45 yrs experience] . I'd use modern bc/cc , its far superior, Delstar was never @ the top of my list when using mostly AE. Although, a friend of mine told me yesterday, He's giving me 2 gallons of black lacquer. [don't know what brand] might have to find something to put it on

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What type of paint are you blending into?

11. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Get some enamal clear, and after you achieve color coverage over primer/sealer , wait twenty minutes, clear the whole panel go slow and take your time it wil work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!