Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found this today....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txturbo, Jul 29, 2014.

1. redo32

redo32

Now you got me. I have seen pictures of factory prototype Model A 3 window coupes and at least one that got out & is now restored. But when you google Model A 3 window you get all the dingaling used car dealers listings that don't know a Model A from a '34. Maybe I'll have time to wade though them later. My first thought from the first picture was the old farmers cut down a lot of sedans for p/u and the chassis is definately '29 and the Fordor was the most logical. That's not saying that "junior" could have used the cherry '29 roadster body for his hot rod and dad put the '30 body on the chassis. But the 3 window thing is interesting, there were not that many metal shapers back then that could do what appears to be quality work and still make it look stock. Frank Kurtis did some amazing early customizing, but did total vehicles, not a stock looking conversion.

Porknbeaner..... as an Oregonian and an official "old fart" you know all about logger speak. My shop is just around the corner from the OK Tavern that Clint Eastwood called the toughest bar in the world when he work worked in the woods for Weyerhauser.

This 3 window is another HAMB mystery. It will be fun to see what we learn about it.

2. redo32

redo32

31 Vicky posted a thread that included these pics. The prototypes didn't have the upper quarter revel. img045.jpg ModelAThreeWindowtwotonejpg.jpg

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are absolutely right that they did indeed build this car in '28 and '29, but the cowl is physically narrower and shorter than the '30 and '31 cowl by a good bunch. Side by side they become very obviously different. The other thing to look for is that although the '28-'29 4dr cowl looks kinda like the '30 - '31 in that it's lacking it's coupe pillar, it does "scoop in" more radically that the '30 and '31s do, which also makes it fairly easy to I.D.

This car being discussed I'm fairly certain will turn out to be a '30 coupe body, grill shell and hood, with the rear windows filled on a '28-'29 chassis and fender unit.

4. This is very interesting, could it be a 30 sports coupe with a sedan rear piece fitted ? JW

5. txturbo

txturbo

I'm curious to get a closer look, especially on the backside of those filled in quarter windows to see what was done.

6. SASROD

SASROD

It looks like a 30/31 sport coupe body with the whole top being homemade. No drip rails, perfectly square back window that looks like a mitered frame on the outside, pretty rough looking roof above the doors and what looks like a wavy joint/seam above the belt line.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Definitely a 30-31 body, most likely a sport coupe as others mentioned.

8. Bart78

Bart78

Looks like it would be cool to get. I don't remember where I saw it. But I saw a a with the back section of a 34 sedan on it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So is it out of the woods yet ? :)

10. indyjps

indyjps

I'm most interested if the OP brought this home. The identification is fun as well, I'm learning.

11. txturbo

txturbo

Not yet.....waiting until 6:30 CST to go take a look

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can only see the first photo, were others posted somewere? I've got a '29 Steelback project so I've picked up some info on the Briggs and Murray built Fordors. There are several different sun visors used in 1929. Bob

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nevermide, I found the second photo, note the bead in the rear quarter over the rear fender, a feature on 30-31 bodies. The square corners in the rear window just seam odd to me. Look forward to better photos, GREAT FIND! Bob

14. txturbo

txturbo

Well... It's not as nice as the pictures. It was a sport coupe with a very bad chicken wire and sheetmetal top. It has all fiberglass fenders and the guy wants way to much for it.

15. noodles

noodles
    from New York

Dear tb33and one third , how many microballs do you use with bondo ?

16. microballs, microfibers or or microspheres......with epoxy. scarf like you mean it.

17. redo32

redo32

Well that was disappointing. But we had fun for a day!

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I still want more pictures. They are easier than reading. By the way, chicken wire is traditional.

I kinda like the idea of finishing out a sport coupe with steel, if it looked good with the proportions.

19. txturbo

txturbo

I like the idea also...and I may do that with my sport coupe....but this one wasn't done nice. I'll have some pics a little later...they are to big to upload.

20. txturbo

txturbo

image.jpg Here is the roof. Not so good looking in person.

21. txturbo

txturbo

22. txturbo

txturbo

23. Now that's hard case right there !! I bet the person that did that mod was so happy with how it turned out. :rolleyes: JW

24. txturbo

txturbo

Especially on a hot Texas summer day...

25. clem

clem

Or maybe that is why it is in the forest -

26. When you look at the pics from yesterday, its as if someone strategically place the leafs to camouflage the ugly. :)

27. I'm wondering if its a sport coupe with a really shitty roof job on it.. the roof even looks the same shape as a sport coupes soft top..

28. Yeah, not quite as nice as it looked in the earlier photos from a distance. Guess it was functional though. Well worth saving.

29. txturbo

txturbo

Yes....it's a sport coupe. He wants way to much for it. I made him an offer and he said he could part it out for more. So I said great....I need a starter and a generator...and now I'm waiting to hear if he wants to sell parts.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.