Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Down & dirty answer is no on both questions

2. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks For every ones comments. As far as the floor goes, I made the deal to give it back and thats what will happen. Sure it`s more work but that's what I agreed to so it`s only fair. Ive made every other piece for this damb thing I may as well do the floor too. lol

My next task to tackle is the rear cross-member. I'm going to run a Model A rear cross member because I have a quick change that I may decide to run. I'm still on the fence here. I don't have much budget and all I have is a quick change housing and lower shaft so I would need to come up with the rest. Or I also have a Columbia but it needs an over haul. Or just put my set of 354's in the 40 banjo and roll. Then build one of the other 2 over a winter but at least the car is done.

Any way,,With that I will be using a T spring with some leaves taken out. I did a bit of resurch on this before I got started and both the curbspeed coupe and I think the Jersey coupe grafted the model A center into the stock 34 rear cross-member. I liked the idea of having the stock mounting of the cross-member, so that's what I did.

Basically all I did was a bit of measuring and a bunch of cutting welding and grinding and this is what I cam 060.jpg 065.jpg 067.jpg e up with.

kiwijeff, Pufff and sko_ford like this.
  3. Looking good man!

4. That crossmember looks really really nice Brad.

I saw that pic, then my mind went thru that measure & set up process to get this where it needs to be - lots of fiddling to it

5. Is it the way the pic was taken or is that center off just a tad??? probably my blurry eyes this am!!!

6. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

She's all centered up burn out bob, must be the pic.

7. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Got a bit more work in on the hot rod. I worked on getting the pedals situated. I decided to go with a 39 pedal assembly. I got them when I bought the rest of my drive line. I was also able to borrow a set of orig 34 pedals from a friend to help with mock up. I was able to bolt them in the factory location and from there I was able to make a simple, cheesy jig to capture the location of the pedals. After that all I had to do was make the 39 pedals line up to the jig and the rest of the carand fab up a plate and bolt and weld it all up. 114.jpg 082.jpg It turned out really well. I had to make a pocket for the clutch pedal to fall into. So I boxed it for strength. Also the clutch pedal needed to be heated and bent inboard a bit. all in all no biggy

Brad

kiwijeff, Pufff and sko_ford like this.
  8. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Not too much "progress" on the old hot rod. I figured now would be a good time to get the the floor out and returned as promised. It was pretty easy just had to drill a bunch of spot welds. 092.jpg 095.jpg

kiwijeff and Pufff like this.
  9. great to see the progress. In regards to the rear 'A' cross member, do you think the chassis will sit a bit high in hindsight, and other than aesthetics, is there any particular reason why you didn't just use the full width of A crossmember? Reason I ask is because I'm shortly going to be doing similar with my 34, hence looking at where best to position the centre section and it's 'relative' height when compared with the rail.

Cheers,

Drewfus

10. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Drewfus
    "great to see the progress. In regards to the rear 'A' cross member, do you think the chassis will sit a bit high in hindsight, and other than aesthetics, is there any particular reason why you didn't just use the full width of A crossmember? Reason I ask is because I'm shortly going to be doing similar with my 34, hence looking at where best to position the centre section and it's 'relative' height when compared with the rail."

Hey Drewfus
    The reason I grafted the model A crossmember into the ends of the orig 34 crossmember was to retain the way it mounts to the frame rails. As far as the ride higt is concerned? I'm not too sure, I haven't had her on her wheels. I saw A few others do it this way and the ride hight looked pretty good. I was pretty torn too I hope it works out. I guess keep watching and see I'll have her on her wheels soon.

Brad

11. I like the rear crossmember graft...Looks great. How many leafs did you remove from the stock spring????

12. rat nasty

rat nasty

Looking good man!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Been a bit of a slow go as far as progress goes on the old hot rod, life seems to be getting in the way. But I did manage to get a little bit done on the weekend. Dug out some parts I plan on using for the front end. A friend hooked me up with a stock model A front spring. Thanks John! So I'm gonna use that. I want to do my best to get the front end down so I decided to reverse the eyes on the spring. Its super easy I just use an old brake rotor and my hydraulic press. Then I put some new bushings in the Eye's.

Brad

069.jpg 073.jpg

14. How does the old brake rotor get used in reversing the spring?

15. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

yea i was kinda wanting to see this also..

16. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Its pretty simple. I use a heavy duty truck rotor with a big hole in the center. I take The spring and mark it off every 2 or 3" with a marker line the full length of the spring. Then I press the spring into the hole in the rotor so it is deflecting down around an inch or so into the hole of the rotor in the opposite way of the curve. I repeat the process on each mark for the length of the spring. after the first pass the spring is usually flat. after the second pass your usually done. Takes like 15 min. I'm doing one for a friend tomorrow night I'll take a pick and post it.

Brad

mauler rich, loudbang and FlynBrian like this.
  17. 345

from Michigan

Yep!...another admirer of your excellent steelcraft!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. That beats a hammer and an anvil!!!

19. By no means is this an attempt to hijack your excellent work Brad.
    But I figured you might get a kick out of this.
    But about 2 months after I shipped you that rear clip I've been farting around with a project.
    First I tried to fix it , then I figured it would be better to not build off of shit and start over.
    Yesterday my buddy that helped me crate up your rear clip up stops by and says, " boy I bet you wish you kept it". He's lucky that I had both hands on a piece in the shrinker and only 1 foot on the ground lmao !!:)
    All sorts of screwing around, lots of scrap, countless hours, learning curves, tucking forks, tree stumps and finally a $1,100.00 deep shrinker. I won't show you the scrap pile but there's about 9 hrs into this 1 quarter top.

Attached Files:

20. Personally, I'm blown away by the skills some of you guys have. I hand built a few things on my cabrio but nothing like this...Tim

21. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks everyone!

Wow Steve nice work on that quarter top. I wouldn't have been able to pull that off.

Brad

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I am also in awe of the skills of some of these guys, a little jealous too
    I've always felt that I could do a lot, if I want to, but these guys make me feel a bit inadequate :(:oops:o_O:eek:

23. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Progress has been slow on the old coupe lately. It seems like summer rolls around and the shop time starts to evaporate. I was able to get going on a few small things. My wishbone's had a bow in them so I decided to fire them in the press and straiten them out. It went real well. They turned out nice and strait and didn't get all marked up in the processes. I also was able to get my rims painted and tires mounted. A fellow hamber/friend, Hamb-bone was painting some rims and offered to do mine at the same time. they Turned out great! Thanks! Then I mounted and balanced the rubber at work one night. 117.jpg 140.jpg 141.jpg

24. Geez. Where in the hell do they grow you guys? Fak? More like FAHWWWWKKKK !!!! Dude, you are amazing.......in a lunatic fringe kind of way.....and I mean that in the craziest sense possible. I dunno' even why I am on here anymore. You fukn' guys are way over qualified than my smilin' slobberin' cross eyed self. Unbelievable talents man. I may have to back the short bus over myself again. This forum should be a cable channel.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  25. I can't wait until you're done. This blows me away.

26. Southfork

Southfork

Did you have to fab a jig to hold the 34 bones in place while you pressed them straight? The picture makes me wonder.

27. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Southfork"Did you have to fab a jig to hold the 34 bones in place while you pressed them straight? The picture makes me wonder.|

Nope I just used my axle dropping jig. It's made of C channel so I just layed a plate across the top on one end and moved it until the peak of the bow was lined up with the ram on my press and pressed her down. checked it with a strait edge after.

Kidcampbell Thanks for the compliments, I got a good laugh out of that one fella lol

Brad

28. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

It was a good weekend for the hot rod. In Fact it was pretty epic as far as things go in my shop. A new piece of equipment arrived that should help the attitude of the old coupe. Ive always wanted a louvered up coupe. I got the opportunity to buy this press and jumped on it. I got it all set up and working nice. The only thing I notice was making the louvers nice and strait was tough with the alignment system that was in place on it. I got rid of that and added a laser line and it is Perfect now. Cant wait to punch the old coupe Full of ventilation.

Brad 172.jpg 170.jpg

29. Now its only going to get more awesome!

30. pumpman

pumpman

Holy hand job bat man, here we go!