Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Classy Kustoms Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

Having to bump this up with HAMB'er its-a-nick 's beautiful Buick. Now, this is class!

[​IMG]

2. I was wondering the same thing.

3. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

here's a couple pics of my 61 coupe, last year I nosed and decked it, shaved the emblems, handles and locks, made the tube grill and painted the roof to match the interior, re chromed the bumpers and polished all the stainless. added the bias looking radials and 57 caps. not the greatest pictures, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 and rockable like this.
  4. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I know this is a Ply. 53 or so? What year is it??

5. '51-'52
    I had to take a double take. I almost thought it was my old one but it's way to nice!

BloodyKnuckles

6. CadMad

CadMad

This is aphotoshop styling proposal that the maestro, Rik Hoving, came up with for my 39 Cad. My jo CCC-39-cadillac-quentin-hall-08-w.jpeg 1939CadillacQuentinRH19-vi.jpeg b is to turn it into a reality.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  7. CadMad

CadMad

Talk about pressure..... 1939CadillacQuentinRH15-vi.jpeg 1939CadillacQuentinRH02-vi.jpeg

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

^ Beautiful! I think the first version is the best; get at it!

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

I agree with 50fraud, 1st version but with the sombrero's, beautiful caddy.

10. jcs64

jcs64

yup, bloodyknucks, got it right, its a '51. And he should know since his old one was just as nice! every time I saw his, it always made me look twice :)

jeff

11. Hey Quentin, let me know when you want a hand.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

So, please explain to me willbe, what YOUR definition of a 'kustom' is...

FWIW, I don't think a set of wheels on ANY stock car a 'kustom'...

R-

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It does have a 57 Chevy grille in it.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL Stan...ooops, guess you're correct. I didn't look past the letters on the hood and trunk...(and that's as sarcastic as I can get...!!!)

R-

15. willbe likes this.
  16. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Remind me what side trims these cars are wearing...

I know they're different, but my brain won't cough up the name of either one...

17. 'Mo

'Mo

Unless I'm mistaken, the top car has '54 Dodge trim.
    The bottom car (Chuck DeWitt's) has '52 Buick (top piece) mated to '53 Olds spear.

18. Eric H

Eric H

Correct.

19. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Thanks guys, I just couldn't pull the answers out of the old grey matter.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Over 70% of modified vehicles that are built today are lowered, have custom paint and have custom interiors. And most of them don`t fit this thread either.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh, YOU don't owe me anything...but I can see that got you on the defensive. I merely asked you a question...and I never said anything about chopped tops...but I contend that Buick is as close to a stone stocker as it can get and not a custom...a true custom, at least, would have the emblems removed...hell, the grille isn't even modified... and neither are the taillights...wheels do not a custom make but thanx for your post.

70% Stan...70% of this thread...???

R-

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  22. A custom car is a passenger vehicle that has been substantially modified in either of the following two ways

1. a custom car may be altered to improve its performance, often by altering or replacing the engineand transmission
    2. a custom car may be a personal "styling" statement, making the car look unlike any car as delivered from the factory.
    Although the two are related, custom cars are distinct from hot rods. The extent of this difference has been the subject of debate among customizers and rodders for decades. Additionally, a street rod can be considered a custom. Traditional Kustoms is a oxymoron.
    For you know it alls! I simply posted pictures of what we call a customized (custom, not Kustom as they did not exist then) "leadsleds" IE chopped channeled radically altered bodies were at the other end of the genre, but all were considered "customs."Kustom is not a traditional moniker, but since the heading said Kustoms I'll withdraw my pics to end this pissing contest you started.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Beg to differ once again willbe...the "K" was added to customs by none other than world famous George Barris, to denote a modified vehicle, some time in the fifties. From Google: "Bob Hirohata admired Sam's style and brought in his '51 Merc for a full custom job. Sam finished his car so it could be shown at the 1952 Motorama. It turned out to be the sensation of the show. George formed "Kustoms of Los Angeles," which was initially restricted to Barris customers and later became "Kustoms of America." The group grew out of weekend custom runs which George help put together. He started the "Kustoms of Los Angeles" club, IF that don't make 'Kustoms' "traditonal" then I certainly don't know what is...

Stick around, you may learn something "new" from all us smart asses...

No one forced you to remove the pix of the Buick but while you were removing it, you should have removed the post #771 as well...

R-

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  25. Dude let it go you are just looking silly now. The car you posted, while very nice, was in no way a custom or Kustom as it pertains to the scope of this message board.

26. CadMad

CadMad

Peace ,love, harmony.Had a productive week on the 39. starting to look a little like Rik's rendering.

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 and Eric H like this.
  27. I stand corrected but, where I grew up the "57(built by a friend of mine) would have been called "customized" hence a custom. In upper midwest I'd never heard of a Kustom and didn't 'til the r rods became popular and that culture. And Barris wasn't the idol he is now for those that read about or grew up on the west coast in his early days and rightly admire much of his work. I like most all rods and customs no matter what ya call 'em even many "R R's". I grew up in the forties and fifties and state what was happening in my part of the world then and didn't learn about it by reading about it.
    [/QUOTE]........You're a "special" smart ass ain'tcha, were you there or just read about it. Different parts of the U S had different likes, styles and nomenclature and custom was spelled Custom. I didn't read it, I was there! That's not to belittle most of what Barris built. To compare all tradition to California is only part of the history.

28. Guys and possibly ladies, as I am speaking in generalities, let's let it be... Internet arguments never make one or the other look good. Let's refocus to the topic and show some nice photos of the kustoms/customs. I love this thread, just not the arguments.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Olson and Eric H like this.
  29. TurnpikeCruiser

TurnpikeCruiser

This is awesome. Similar to the direction I want to go with my new Merc one day...