Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Identify 39 pontiac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bombcru, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Bombcru

Bombcru
    from Cleveland

I picked up a 39 pontiac coupe. The price was right and had a clear OH title.
    Problem is I dont know if title matches car and there is only a vin plate on the firewall and not the frame cross member. the vin plate has cheapo rivets in it and paint does not match car.
    I measured the wheelbase at 117 hub to hub

What I can find is that
    a series 25 is 115
    a series 26 is 120

Tag on firewall says
    style 39-26278
    body 2547

Reason being it needs sheet metal and I was told the 25 can use chevy sheet metal but 26 and 28 cannot....

I tried going by pictures but seems 25 26 and 28 bodys all were the same???!!!????!!!?
    The motor I was told is a nailhead, it is a 2 barrel, I think its a 264, I assume it is bad from sitting.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 39-2627B = Deluxe 120, series 26 3-passenger coupe. 120" wheelbase, uses GM "A" Body.

Serial number is supposed to be on front frame crossmember behind radiator, typically P6EB-xxxxx (starting 1001), P can also be C or L depending on where built (P = Pontiac, C = California, L = New Jersey).

3. Don't toss those cab lights if they are glass, old truck guys will want them.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I don't think chevy stuff is gonna work, but, if you prove me wrong, I've got 4 real nice fenders from a 39 chevy for sale.

5. bigkev56

bigkev56

Hang on to the Alternator and Rectifier on Firewall, Very early and super rare.

6. AJNapierski

AJNapierski
    from G.V. CA

That is definitely a Buick nailhead so it is probably an early 60's hot rod, also the rear axle seems to be farther back than it should (might be partly the camera angle) it might have a different frame under it. If you want help with that nailhead go to this site: http://nailheadbuick.com/

7. AJNapierski

AJNapierski
    from G.V. CA

also its probably a 364

8. You might be able to hang a complete Chevy front clip on it but I don't think individual pieces interchange. most obviously the grille is very different and the side grilles are shaped different than Chev.
    Edit: Do those tail lights look like Pontiac? Kind of look like Buick to me. Is it possible to put a Pontiac clip on a Buick?

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That appears to me to be a GM "B" body, not an "A" body. It is the same roof doors, deck etc. used by senior Pontiac, Buick, Olds and La Salle. Chevy, and possibly the junior Pontiac ( model 25), "A" body is similar, but different in actual contours and dimensions.

10. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

The taillights do seem to not be stock. If you compare to the one's in the attached photo, they are different.
    John

[​IMG]

11. Bombcru

Bombcru
    from Cleveland

I am pretty sure they are glass, they are pretty cool loooking, i was actually thinking of buffing em out if i can and use em

My biggest issue is the floors, inside and trunk are shot. It sat untouched for years. from what i read the 25 uses same floors as the chevy but not the 26s or 28s

I have pics of the frame, At first i thought the frame didnt look right either, but it does seem to line up underneath, and it seems thick for a 30's frame, looks more like 46+ style X with weight reduction.

It would prob be cheaper to hang a complete front end off a chevy than to find the silerstreak and fender grills that arnt fubar'd

12. Bombcru

Bombcru
    from Cleveland

It looks to have a 50's chevy wheel, i kinda like it, its a orange and decent condition, needs buffed out but minimal pitting.
    I tried to get a pic of the frame but the light keeps distorting the camera. There was a bunch of spare fog lights? and car parts inside of it though, a glove box door also.... I believe it has a 3 spd truck transmission by the look of the shifter, has a flange at the bottom of the shaft going into trans.

I just dont know what I want to do with with the frame yet, since I have to do floors it would be opportune time to change the rear end out with something lsd and stronger and maybe narrow to fit wider than 7" wheels.
    Does anyone sell floor pans for the larger pontiacs or am I stuck making em?

The motor may be no good, someone tore into it and parts are just sitting in the bay, i just want to know if its locked up at this point, if not, bonus.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]