Register now to get rid of these ads!

History FOUND! Kaspers "Ghost" from Milwaukee....1937 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Centurion9, Jul 25, 2014.

1. thunderplex

thunderplex

...I'll say it. It's ugly. But that's just my opinion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. carbrainiac

carbrainiac
    from atlanta

I checked the ugly box too----I guess Ill find him the original front end and a crate motor as he first wanted me to do.Whata shame.Anybody want to buy a 55'265 corvette with 4 rochesters?As for the fishing trip--I caught a few.

3. I don't know if all the smart comments are coming because of the "its ugly" comments but keep in mind that it is the feeling of a few, not all. Some of us think the car is cool especially with it's history. I think this thread is close to going the road C9 was trying to stop. You also have to admit the couple day Craigslist ad with no price, a list of trades, and pictures of the car partially taken apart isn't a set up for success. Why don't you guys post it with a current condition, a price, some good pics and less smart comments and maybe you'll get more interest. You'd be surprised what this place can do for you. You'd be really surprised what the internet can do. Give it time. I wish I had a place for it or the time but I don't. It would be sad to see it lost to history but in the end it's ya'lls car.

4. carbrainiac

carbrainiac
    from atlanta

I agree, Carolina.Its too late not to clean the car---and Lamar is at it right now.The interior is not even water damaged and is looking GREAT! There are some cool hidden chrome pieces under the car that will be brought back also.There is absolutely no rust on the body and the owner received a period correct glass kit with the car that he wants to install.I said FINE.We will have pictures of the 37 when the cleanup is complete.There is alot of crazy details that havent been revealed.This car will be for trade only.Nobody has even offered him a pool table yet.I am ready to move on with this thread in a positive manner as well,in hopes that the right shop will get this car.cheers to all.

5. Hope to see some clean up pics in the future. I'd love to window shop! Maybe second thought limiting it to trades only. I think you limit your market. Again, just my opinion, it's your and Lamar's call. Good luck with it no matter what path you take.

6. Ok, the car's cool to some and not to others, I believe we all get and understand that. Talked to a few guys that remember the car and got mixed feeling about it to. It's weird and strange, but i kinda dig it.
    Making a hugh list of ideas to trade does him no good, I can only assume he's hoping to get an unbelievable trade for it.
    That car is a project, and will probably get a trade in' project value'. Does he have a dollar amount he's willing to sell for, or approx value for a trade? I will gladly bring my slate topped pool table down in November when i'm down there, hell i'd add a new set of balls if that makes the deal, just let me know so i can bring the trailer with me. I'd half ass consider trading my 28 chevy, but to me my chevy is worth way more and i'd have to see a nice pile of dead presidents.
    I did put my 28 for sale or trade for a late model Rolls....funny no one offered me a Rolls....see what i'm getting at?
    Lamar.....is know for W blocks?

7. hallrods

hallrods

I just talked to the original builders son Don he is going to check out this thread he didn't know it was for sale or trade.

catdad49 likes this.
  8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Freakin' AWESOME!

The HAMB did come through!

9. lchambers

lchambers

I am actually the current owner of the 37. I have more pictures of the car if any of you guys are interested. I am dismantling the entire car to clean it and put a little life back into it and make it a little more presentable. After it's cleaned I will be putting it back together as it is. As for you guys that think I'm looking for a small fortune your wrong. I am an honest person and like to treat people fairly. I had this car posted to Craigslist because I am a trader. I did not know that so many people actually cared about this car at the time and after seeing how it brought back memories to many of you I decided to remove it. Not because I want to make that fortune but because I want to put the car back where it belongs. Most of you guys have been very helpful and I appreciate. To all of you guys that think the car is ugly as hell well your right it is. But it is still a piece of history so I will do what I can to keep it that way.

GABOY

10. F&J

F&J

It ain't ugly...it just represents a small piece of Autorama history and it's many "unusual" ideas. That is why we come here, and that is part of why these TWO sections were created on HAMB forum menu.

Some negative Nancy's come onto the "traditional customs" or the "traditional hot rods" sections and tell us how they HATE what they see in these threads. .............................................................................................................................................................................................................I will remain calm... :) ...........for now

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  11. dkasprzyk

dkasprzyk
    from wisconsin

12. dkasprzyk

dkasprzyk
    from wisconsin

Me and dad dug up a few photos from "Back in the day". As you can see I did all the body work on the Pearl at a very young age. I let Butch help out too

catdad49, Stogy and koolkemp like this.
  13. F&J

F&J

Great pics.

Thanks for posting them up.

Lookat the sour face on the guy that got stuck blocksanding... :)

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

I figured you were the body guy, but I was not sure.

Daddy Deville and catdad49 like this.
  15. lchambers

lchambers

16. dkasprzyk

dkasprzyk
    from wisconsin

I'll tell you what, it sure was cool growing up in that shop with all the greats hanging out talking cars and drinking PBR's

17. dkasprzyk

dkasprzyk
    from wisconsin

Oh and by the way, day says that the warranty is off on that interior

bowie likes this.
  18. lchambers

lchambers

The interior is still in near perfect shape. Just a little dirty

GABOY

19. dkasprzyk

dkasprzyk
    from wisconsin

Yea all in all the whole car is not too bad. The lead work help up well. Thank you for posting the additional photos.

20. lchambers

lchambers

No problem. If you guys decide you want the car back it's yours. I would like to know who it got handed down to. I know the guy that owned it when I got it went missing and left it abandoned in a wear house for many years. I got it through the family.

GABOY

21. lchambers

lchambers

^^^Thought well spoken.^^^

GABOY

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

get it running and enjoy it, it's a part of the era and it's BITCHINN

23. Part One.....Due to a sloppy edit on my part. you get a little mixed up version of two longer posts. I apologize for that. It will surely make sense if you care to stick it out until the end. My Original intent was to share what I considered the potential for a great story. The discovery and possible restoration of a significant car and a reconnection with a well known team for Milwaukee whos time has been unfortuately pretty much forgotton out side SE Wisconsin. People all that I respected and admired and whos work made me thrill everytime I turned South of Oklahome Ave. onto KK Ave. I would drive my Wife down there and we would stand in awe at the upholstry work Carl was producing, while much of it has either Striping my Butch Brinza, or perhaps some paint by Vince. Cars by Bill Block, Jerry Killberg, Carl himself and Guys I never had the pleasure to meet in my repeated trips to the Shop as a young man....They all complimented one another and the result was often another nice SE Wisconsin Custom Car....Better than the one I was driving, and probably better than the ones many of the HAMB Members were driving, if they were driving at all. I sincerely hope this works itself out in the restoration of a car I really liked. I've had at least three times on this Forum where members have taken a newly discovered time capsule from that era, and took them apart via a pissing match. I was raised to say nothing if I couldn't find something nice to say. May some of you had that same unbringing. Personally, I think it would be a lot nicer here from guys new and old to welcome them with new-found cars and point out a nice thing or two before the third post ends up calling somebodys car ugly, not too attractive, a POS, or some other thing. I have the ability to insult somebody without a lot of direct verbal slapping, because though I don't think it's always needed, some of it comes across as an invitation to take your shitty car somewhere else....We're too cool and educated to appreciate your stool sample. We think that way not because we're risen from the ranks out of the Shop and into the Head office where we now mail our ideas down to the real "workers" in the shop, but because apparently too many cold Winters and broiling Summers on concrete floors and gravel with no paying money has caused us to lose our sense of reason altogether. Dude, I hate Barris, you hate him too right? Just the speeches of sour grapes, not of Custom Car builders who are supposed to be both tougher and fairer than that. It may not be "exactly" what you meant, but it's close enough. I would appreciate everyone getting a side of respect for Members here, if for no reason other than to discipline your mouths so we can get the most from a new guy with a new opportunity. If you are unable to do that, try sticking your head under your pillow and screaming about how hideous or stupid posters are until you get it figured out. Wait, I'll save you a day or two. The folks who post those cars are often just as excited as you are, may no more than you do, have more money and plans than you have, and could even, when those cars are completed, find you moving your own unfinished shit box to a back row for a few shows until you "get right" It's an easy thought, I don't think its too hard, and sometimes it takes a sincere effort to control your mouth, but everybody can benefit from it. Maybe not the Insurance Agent I went ballistic on this afternoon in Minneapolis......I think I left him with the impression that all he had left from me was an offer to hurt his knees with a baseball bat. Some of you have left nothing but a bad taste in the mouths of those seeking support or answers right here on this little Forum. I thought we all wanted Membership to promote good vibes, encouragement and tools and suggestions to build a better car for the good of the Hobby......It's a thought worth considering. Some of you just like to pull down and critcize and have not yet learned to address a perceived flaw in a design or in mechanics to draw attention to something that could be improved upon. Its a skill, but it's not that hard. It involves about a 3 minute delay on your tongue and a motive that helps a builder rather than reenforcing an often well know tendency by other Forum members to be the Ass known better for his opinions than his willingness to help.....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    catdad49, djweaz, Hot Rod Nut and 3 others like this.
  24. Lchambers, welcome and thanks for coming on. Hopefully if this thread doesn't get shut down you can keep us posted on the clean up of the car and where it ends up. I for one find it an interesting car and would like to know more. Like how the hell did it end up in an abandoned building for so long! Thanks for trying to preserve it. Who knows, maybe it will go back home. Wouldn't that be an awesome ending to the story!

C9, you did good on your part. I think it got the right people looking at this finally.

25. carbrainiac

carbrainiac
    from atlanta

WOW-----This is REALY getting good.Those pictures before and after are incredible.I would say this is THE HOLY GRAIL of a hot rod treasure find as it is playing out, and as so eloquently reiterated,we have to have respect for the effort,craftsmanship and focus that was required to build this car whether we like the looks or not.The car is really growing on me at this point and I thought about it last night, and asked myself " what is it about this car that I dont like?" The interior is a spot on creative masterpiece.Real 55 corvette matching numbers small block with 4 twos---REALLY?Period pearl lavender paint with lace overlays and pinstriping by BRINZA.I think the problem with the appeal lies in the front end for most people,but keep in mind,this was an experimental period.It seems nowadays we are all caught up in certain rules to obey in order to be COOOOOL."Well, thats no good because its a humpback----slantbacks are better."I am going to try to be more objective from now on and cherish my own opinion.I have learned something from this fascinating thread.KUDOS to Centurion and all that get it.

26. dkasprzyk

dkasprzyk
    from wisconsin

One of the reasons the car left the scene back then was because of controversy. Here it is almost 50 years later and after reading all the posts I see that there is still controversy surrounding this car. It is my opinion that things need to lighten up a bit on this forum. This being my first impression has me wondering why I would come back. Thank you to those that appreciate the car for what it was.

catdad49 and djweaz like this.
  27. lchambers

lchambers

Your right about that. But at the same time there is a lot of people that still appreciate the car for what it was and still could be. It was definitely different and that difference is probably what made the guys on here remember a car that I'm sure they have not thought about in decades.

GABOY

catdad49 likes this.
  28. carbrainiac

carbrainiac
    from atlanta

You know-----last night---I was thinking the same thing.6 posts in 7 years one guy said.Welcome to the forum?Too busy building, at least to me, important cars that I would never get done if I was soaking up ac and on the computer.check out my tan at badass .com

29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

What a nice survivor!!!! Our crew at Strange Days would love to get our hands on that! It speaks volumes of a time I remember well when builders actually did "off the wall" styling and presented it to a public that was receptive to far reaching customizing ideas. We went to car shows HOPING to see something like this. There's very little to see at shows now that'll actually turn my head.

Centurion9 likes this.
  30. [​IMG]

To give this thread some more "positive vibrations" - I like this car!
    The ghoulish front end is super cool - it gives the car a Munsters/Ed Roth/60ies monster kit touch.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    catdad49 and straykatkustoms like this.