Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever changing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sunflower, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Well,
    Just wanted to show some pics of my 31 roadster, it`s kind of a rolling project. I alter it every year to be more what I like. Last changes 16 inch rear wheels and cooker excelsior rear tires and a monoleaf spring.
    I`m not really happy with how the lines of the hood follows the lines of the body, either I have to lower the grill or tilt the body to the rear, I will probably lift the body of the frames anyway. If I do that I have to cut down the top of the rails and straighten out upper side of the rails. The recess in top of rails would probably end up 1 inch in rear and close to 0 in front.

Any comments on this approach??? Good advices and suggestions welcome, since I´m pretty new in this game.

2014 side.jpg 023.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Just a guess, but I am betting that is a stock height 32 radiator and grill. Which as you can see results in a upward hood. I'd get one of the radiators meant for a model A on 32 frame and trim the bottom of the grill shell

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. I like it a lot,,,do you have enough room to drop the shell another inch? HRP

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice car, I like the look of those tires. Bob

5. I have the same problem due to my car being sectioned. The hood actually is 3/8" lower than the cowl but "looks" the opposite. It really doesn't look bad but lowering the rad/grill is by far the easiest. Cool car...Tim

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When you look at a ruler or a tape measure an inch seems so irrelevant. But when it comes to the profile of a hot rod it becomes a make or break deal if your anal at all about the final product. Case in point, Park two '32 Fords front to front .......one with all stock dimensions and one with the radiator/grille shell dropped 1". Unless you've actually perused the difference it's amazing the difference to a critical eye. Absolutely nothing wrong with the way Henry built them, it was/is done thousands of time. After you've seen one with the dropped shell everyone after that will appear to you to be "not quite right", kinda like the hood is heading uphill from the cowl.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's all she needs.

8. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Another help would trim your hood , more like a 32 hood ,, I trimmed mine , it allowed everything to fit and align better, the rad I used allowed me to lower shell as well ...

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice looking roadster

10. Well thanks for all the input, really appreciate this.
    I will look into this radiator thing, I need to do a C notch in the frame since the lowering of the rear end limits axle travel. At the same time I would like to get rid of the wood distance pieces between the body and top of the 32 rails.

Any good advices on this thing out there??

11. Found some threads about the Walker radiator, is that the best option??

12. Now I fouind this"The Model A on 32 rails requires a custom hood. Don't make or buy one until you have everything the way you want it."
    Well I just made that hood 2 years ago, you learn as long as you live. And you learn faster on HAMB!!

13. Thanks nope, nothing to spare!

14. flthd31

flthd31

2 inch chopped radiator would work fine. As for the part number you've listed...not sure. The walker radiators for flatheads used to have a "FH" in the part no. That one you mention is BZ-491-2-20 and doesn't mention flathead (2 tubes top and bottom)
    I ordered a 2" chopped rad. directly from Walker for a similar build. They are pricy...hell, it cost more that the coupe body I'm using it with but I think they're worth it. Looks perfect and all copper.
    Your car looks great and will be just right with that shell lowered. Might have to relocate that front license plate.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nice looking project

16. My 2 cents; that car has a really nice period vibe that would be horribly interrupted by a modern aluminum radiator. Get in touch with Brassworks and have a chopped 32 radiator fabbed up; they have many of Ford's original blueprints and the work I've seen from them is very nice.

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Great looking car. You are being to hard on yourself. Don't we all pick our cars to pieces?

18. Hi,
    After being over run by what I think is called life I am back at the project. Lifted the body of 2 years ago got that Walker radiator, rebuild the frame with new 4 " kick up. The engine will be a tuned 8ba with 3 strombergs. Newer done this before so its a lot of learning on the way. Also moved the front cross member 2" forward. Did a lot of research on pinching etc. In the end I found out tha I needed to lover the body in the rear and therefore make the frame narrower at the same time I did the kick up. After all alterations I only had to lower the shell in front 1/2" to make it line up perfectly with the body, made the first test lining yesterday. The fram will be smothed and properly welded after all testing with body is made. I am not trying to build a particular style but are influenced by the rolling bones and Miller race cars. I don`t know where it ends up. WP_20170422_21_20_01_Pro.jpg 15974834_1726577097367690_4076337835303049795_o.jpg WP_20170422_21_21_16_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    dana barlow, waxhead and kiwijeff like this.
  19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking very nice, I love how you did the c- notch/ kick up. Looks like it came from the factory that way, very sanitary!

sunflower likes this.