Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 60-62 chevy truck bellhousing & Ansen pedals-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mullskull, Jul 27, 2014.

1. mullskull

mullskull

i've been told that the simplest way(if there is such a thing) to accomplish what i'm planning on doing is to run a 60/62 c10 v8 hydraulic bellhousing behind my SBC to accompany a set of Ansen style swing pedals in my 28/29 roadster...

the question i have is would a hydraulic bellhousing(passenger side clutch fork window) from another year work with that set up?
    to be more specific what is the reasoning for running this specific bellhousing? is it as simple cus that's what year master cylinder is used in the pedal assembly?

and if anyone has one that they wanna sell send me a PM-

i realize that i may be making this complicated....

thanks in advance-

rich

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You could easily run a slave cylinder on a bracket on the left side of any Chev bell housing, too. The down side to my mind with the truck bell is that it is cast iron, and it has the huge saddle pads built in for the trans mounts common to those trucks.

Lots of companies make the slave and bracket for the regular Chevy stuff... Look in your speedway catalog.

3. F&J

F&J

Chevy made that bell for space reasons on one of their earlier trucks, i believe a big truck in late 50s. Then was used on 60-62 pickups. That bell only saves you from having to make a bracket to hold the Chevy slave cyl.

Make a strong bracket to bolt to a few existing holes on the driver side and use a common bell.

The Ansen pedal bracket is not what I use, because it forces you to modify the internals of the 60-62 master cyl. That is because the original chevy pedal linkages are reversed under the dash, and has the right side bore as the clutch. Ansen is opposite.

Ansen pedals also require a strong firewall to prevent flexing, OR tie the pedal bracket into the dashboard for strength, like the Chevy pedals did. I use the Chevy pedal setup as it makes it simpler for me.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn good point F&J, that needed to be said. That whole deal is best if you can triangulate the steering column mount, the firewall and pedals. Other wise you find yourself going through firewalls pretty quickly.

5. mullskull

mullskull

It's good to know my instincts were on target, those rear mount tabs and cast iron were the two major reasons for inquiring about other options...

I was also concerned with the fire wall flexing, I was planning on having to do some modifying to keep the firewall flex down to a minimum-
    My thought was also that the 2 piece stock firewall would be a stronger starting point as well, figured that seem where the upper and lower firewall would be pretty stout.. That and the fact that I'll be leaving most of the stock gas tank in place, so there will be plenty of metal to use to brace up the pedal assembly..

Also, I'm still gathering parts, plenty of time to figure out logistics..

FJ what pedals do you use??

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback!

Rich

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Those cast iron bellhousings are amazingly strong. Even the C60 dump trucks used them. The good thing is if you don't want to use the frame mounts, they can be cut off and ground smooth. I believe that the older bellhousings (fork on the RH side) had a provision to mount the slave.

7. F&J

F&J

Quote: "FJ what pedals do you use??"

I've used 60-62 truck pedals in two different 1932 fords, but I am postive you will not have enough room in a Model A with stock tank. Brace up what you have, and don't try to find the chevy pedals.

8. mullskull

mullskull

a roadster is so damn light to begin with that the weight of a cast iron flywheel house shouldn't matter , to me anyhow-

F&J... i just cut the back of the tank out(firewall side) , the gas tank turns into a gauge panel, and storage....so there may be room.. but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it-

9. 327Eric

327Eric

The 60-62 Chevy truck bellhousing was popular just because it was a cheap hydraulic clutch setup for a time, no more, no less. I've hoarded them for years, but when the time came to build my Studebaker, the passenger side opening , and pedal setup didn't work. I ended up with a floor mounted wildwood clutch master, and a hydraulic throwout bearing, with a 65 Chevy truck bellhousing(drivers side throwout opening)