Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. a fire burn out would not be era correct. bruce larson mr. chevrolet usa-1 performed the first one in a camero around 1969 by accident. don't hold me to the date. if i did one who knows what kind of crap i could have taken by the 1966 police exemption or not.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. powrshftr

powrshftr

I saw a race car with nitrous burn once and it was VERY unpleasant.
    Just concerned for the safety crew that's all.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

A few things:

-If vinyl lettering was banned,my car and 75% of the other cars would be booted

-if the monster tach is down where it's out of line of sight it's not such a huge deal,but it is nice to see a vintage tach (I ran a borrowed Autometer this year while my Sun was at Williamsons for repairs)

-no matter what kind of semantics you use,a car is whatever the model year is,not the build date.Wow.

- Playing 'Devils Advocate' never wins you any friends on either side,it just pisses people off.

In short,everyone needs to re-fucking-lax(!) and let the MDA run their absolutely awesome event.

THEIR event.

That WE are LUCKY enough to attend.

I'm not debating a fucking thing......I'm already prepping for next year!!!!:D

Scott

4. you must not have gone back to the posts i mentioned. playing the devils advocate does bring issues into the light to be discussed. i don't know about you but I'm not worked up. positive change can come from discussion. yes i agree most cars would be booted. i was just using those things as a example. a example of how far could things go to make everything look right. i know its not the majority here. but there are a select few making noise. i have no problems with any of the things i brought up. thats why all of us need to first look at our own cars before bashing what others have and bring. again my point here is tread lightly on the rules and complaints. the mda has a great thing going here.

5. Well put!

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Just heard from a little Bird that I may be getting a match race next year....Keeping my fingers crossed!:)

The wick may need to be turned up a bit on the Ol 289 to run with this Dude....;)

Scott

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

OK guys back to are regular scheduled program.

I did all the cheap stuff I could think of for a better ET (I am not a big money racer) and this was the first time this car has been in the 12s. I was having fun working on it to launch without a 2 step.
    I guess I should put the car on some scales to see if I even have a clue as to what I am doing.

I let my buddy drive the car on the first two passes on Sunday (you may have notice the burnout and staging was a bit different) and now he is bit buy the bug bad and cant stop talking about it.
    My last pass the car developed a bad vibration so I put it on the trailer didn't want to be that guy if you know what I mean.

But its hats off to the MDA guys great show hard to think someone had a bitch at all.

Think I will get my Chevelle out of the weeds and brink it next year.

8. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

500+ cars and talking about 1 camaro. Loosen your ties gentlemen, it's a party not a board meeting.

9. captmullette

captmullette

amen.......

BHoover and enloe like this.
  10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I agree it is an awesome sight to see and the fans would love it trust me

11. Great, great event!! You MDA folks knocked it outta the park!

Use a PM for a "my point is...." volley.

powrshftr likes this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's some solid advice right there.:)

Been watching YouTube videos all afternoon....Um....Aaahh....I mean um...WORKING!Yes,working...Anyway,I am already getting antsy for the 2015 event.Had a conversation with somebody this morning about a Match race that should be a real crowd pleaser...I absolutely cannot WAIT!!!:D

Scott

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Looking forward to next years Meltdown already but you guys know of course, the HAMB drags are just a few short weeks away too.

14. Im sure they would. The biggest hurdle to over come is a track letting you do one. They usually dont mind a rosin burnout. It does make a huge mess and the starter is sticky for a week or two. But the fire burnout is a huge liability. There are a lotof things that can go wrong. From a dropped cigarette at the wrong time to a spectator getting too close the potential for a disaster is huge. They are fun to do. Its like stabbing the gas and driving right into the center of hell. Flames and heat every where. I laugh out loud some times thinking about the silly crap we did. Fun times for sure.

15. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

yeah, roger that..
    i don't want to, but will do it.. detonated a piston out of it last year, killed a rod bearing too
    dang it!

stupid detonation. pretty sure the same person who invented detonation, ..invented rust.

oh. here's a video of me killing the valve

be good !

16. Looked good. While its down for repair look into the msd box. Also make sure the big end of the rod is still round. The pounding can make it go oval. measure the width of the bearings to make sure they didnt grow in the middle. The bearing surface may look fine but may be out of spec on the width. I have done it. Timing is killing that engine under boost. A meth inj also helps.

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks for the link got a nice smokey burnout pic of mine on there with my wore out posi lol.
    The news is really getting out!
    I did notice in the writing it said no nitrous , I thought I remembered earlier Meltdown's where it said can be left on the car but not operational. Thats why I mentioned it earlier.

18. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Tricky Steve that coupe is awesome, I could see on my video a puff of smoke. It sure looks fast! Get that blower figured out so I have another person to ask advice from. Look forward to seeing it run next year.
    How much trouble have you had with the law running them zoomies?

19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Tricky Steve Racer x is correct with the thought of the boost timing controller I use one in my Willys and it sure saves a lot of parts lol I was real hesitant but I'm sure glad I bought one I haven't gotten the complete hang of it yet but I can even feel how much better my truck runs and it stays a bunch cooler as well I dig your coupe hope you get it sorted out

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

wrenchbender you going to your ride lined out for the HAMB drags?

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

If things stay lined up like they are yes it will have a fresh new heart plans are to have it running by this weekend

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Kool hang in there.
    I will be heading down early Friday morning to go to swapmeet then to host hotel.

If it gets down to the wire and you need a hand give me a shout. I only go to the swapmeet for the exercise so can skip it. I am a few hours away coming from Hartsburg.

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for the thought but I have to have it ready to go by this weekend cause I'm headed to bonneville on tues and will be sliding into Joplin about 7:00 fri evening just in time to head to the hotel see ya at the drags

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You lucky dog. I need to get back out there man.

I have a OT car that I need to change some bars in and make it happen.

25. Price for us to get to the Meltdown Drags and back yo California, including food..,north if $2500. Being AT the Meltdown Drags & the way we were treated..,PRICELESS!!! Enough of the Camaro drama sheesh! I'm sure the MDA will have lots more ironed out in 2015. MDA Crew, keep doing what your doing, your headed in the right direction, and all the "powers whiners" will find some place else to smooth out their wadded little panties. If anyone out there thought were we running a two step for much of the event because our ole nag kept skipping & farting most the weekend, well, we were, sort of, but un-intentionally. I had removed the switch, and ground wire completely, but the "blue" 12v wire was still in place, just capped with another spade connector, and secured in a piece of nylon hose to keep it from zorking on anything. Well before we loaded the car Tuesday night, on out way out, I inadvertently grounded our main starter wire with the trans tunnel dzus button @ the 12 0'clock location, and smoked to relays etc. We got it all fix, but on the first run Friday, the car would barely do a burnout, and killed a flock of geese going down the track to a scorching 13.6something, @ about 90 ( I wanted to drive it into the river across the street! After realizing we had not dynoed the engine with my MSD box or coil, I wondered if my dzus button episode had seared our MSD's memory into the 4500 rpm zone where the low side/two step file wad still set, and it was trying to act like a high side limiter. We turned the low side dial 7700 rpm (same as the high side), and ran it again. This raised the rpm up to about 5200 before the miss showed up and we got a rip snorting 12 teen @ 100 for that, killed some more water fowl, and got our ass handed to us in the first round of the shootout by "Ferdinand" the Willys. What, I should have done next was turn both the low & high side up to their max 9900 rpm, in hopes for a 7000+ rpm availability, but that would have been way to easy, and in my severely sleep deprived state, I decided to chase jetting and clutch for awhile. That, got us down to an 11.41 @ 114 & change, shifting @5200, when it would start missing, only a second & 10-15 mph where I had hoped to be with this engine (409 pump gas small block). I wanted to drive the car to the nearest "glue factory"! The bright side was we got past Kip Hansberry' super bitchen injected rat powered sedan for a round win for the south, (that Dagenheim trans ain't gonna get it done Kip) and every time we touched the car, she was getting quicker.We only had one shootout round Saturday @ 4:30ish, and we were paired with the " Big Iron" '56 that was running in the 12.30's, so instead of tuning, we fixed some more oil leaks, took another turn out of the hat, readjusted the clutch pedal stop, screwed our beloved magnesium rear wheels to the slicks after they moved, ALOT!, (told ya it was gonna happen Marc), and relaxed! On that last round, I did a small dry hop, and the clutch slipped a little going into 3rd & 4th. When I got pack to the pits, I ran back to the starting line, to watch Quain, and the fast guys run. When I got back to the pits, there was some oil dripping from our scatter shield,(fricken oil leaks!), so I figured that's why the clutch had slipped, and we didn't get to do the Saturday run to Sams, cause I didn't want to oil down the new disc. I told Marc we'd investigate the oil leak in the morning, and if the bell housing was dry, he could make a couple runs. Saturday night, it dawned un me to turn both rev limiters to 9900, and I shimmed the clutch master cylinder with a couple washers for some more pedal free play so we could take one more turn out of the hat. The leak turned out to be the valve cover gasket, we fixed that, lashed the valves, & I gave Marc a quick driving lesson. I told him if the engine was clean in the burnout, it should run way better. He did a good burn out, staged the car nice, let her rip, for his first quarter mile pass in the 56 since we bought the car in 2004, and got his personal first 10 second pass! Anyway, that's why it sounded as if we had a two step for better than half the event.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well said Ric lets go drag racing.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  27. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

hi,at first , i made my own mufflers.(something i learned here on the HAMB). they were 140% ineffective..( i have previously made a set for a 355 chevy ,and they were super quiet on that thing,go figure) so i get on the interweb, find a muffler guy,and he swears ..these are what i need.. so i saw my headers off, take my mufflers out, install these mufflers (8X $120.00 =960$)
    weld my headers together, and i'm ready for bliss.. well, not so much.. it is what is is.. i tried ..
    on the way to work the other day, a motor cycle cop (city of 12,000) pulls up beside me.. the freakin' headers were about to blow his helmet off.. he never looked at me.. (wheeeew)
    the thing made a bunch of power on the dyno, but i messed with it, changed stuff, lost track of what i was doing.. blah-blah.. just went to the melt down with a good attitude..sort of forgot the tune up
    was a really nice ride there and back,with the A/C on ,>>>just took it apart,it tuliped two intake valves (doh)so, i gotta pull the pistons and check ring lands, bearings etc... stupid tune up.. grrrrrr.
    guess who's fault ??
    who cares.. next year... fire burn out, 1/2 track.. then 800' wheelie,and drive her up into the woods at the end.. that would be fun !! but then , i need a ride home... .. oh well....
    ha-ha!!
    thanks a ton for the compliments : )

30dodgeboy likes this.
  28. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

thanks a ton for the compliments !!
    thank you !!
    yeah, hope to get it figured out, ..and soon !!!!!

29. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Good meeting up with you Wrenchbender, loved the look of your truck..
    You're living the dream..............Meltdown, Bonneville and then the HAMB drags, you lucky dog.
    Have a great time on the salt.