Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

HRP,
    Paul posted on the Meltdown's fb page that they were considering not doing the event next year.

And as we all know,that would just be a crime!:(

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I agree there are some things to fix like waiting 3 hours in the staging lanes to watch the big gasser groups making 2 passes because of the schedule . 2 lanes consisting of about 10 cars got skipped over in the rotation, same type deal the year before also. But not enough to cancel the event.

From FB

As of right now the 2015 event is on hold. We need to sort things out. There seems to be a lot of whining about how things went this year and it is really starting to take the fun out of it. We hear lots of positive things but the negatives keep dragging us down. We need to have a meeting to sort it out. We will update everyone when the time come. Please hold off on pre-registrations. Thank You.

3. As we all know, as with all venues, growth can create problems with participants and spectators alike,I hope they can come up with a way to continue the event,,,if not maybe the North Gassers can come to Greer,South Carolina and do The South verses North Gasser's event. HRP

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Now that would be badass!!!

Scott

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

great here I am thinking about going and they are talking about cancelling

6. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Don't fret plumbid......she looks like an "airhead" anyway......hehe

Wait!....on second inspection I'm thinking she may just have a stick up her ass..

7. OldColt

OldColt

Hmmm ... Somebody keep an eye out for a long skinny car under a cover in Quain's shop. May have "Grand Illusion II painted on it if ya' peek.

--- Steve ---

8. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Saxon I've got a couple to get off my camera yet I'll try and get them to ya??

9. "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor????" "It aint over till we SAY it's over!!!!!

powrshftr and beebee78 like this.
  10. some tracks at big events use run cards. the cards have a square for each day. every time you make a pass they punch your card. depending on the size of the event you get either 2 or 3 passes per day thats it. it eliminates some guys running over and over again. when the card is full for the day you park it. with all the cars in the staging lanes its hard to keep track of every car. the guy running the staging lanes no longer has to mentally keep track of 500 cars. the card does. at most races you are either in the show or you make time runs not both. this would also cut down on some groups getting more passes than others. i have nothing to complain about i was spectating. i just thought i would offer a few ideas i have seen work at other shows i have attended. keep your heads up guys

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

For the amount of cars entered I thought it went pretty well. They announced that if you had made 2 passes to not run anymore on Saturday so everybody had a chance to run. They were keeping track with the computer in the tower by the car number. I did see a few cars that were "lapping". I didn't think the wait was that bad considering. Then I figured out the rotation and just knew to watch for the cars in the lanes that ran before my lane. The wait wasn't nearly as bad once I figured this out. I know there were a few complaints about the Camaro that ran, and there are always guys bitching at an event that has criteria to enter. I say Screw them if they don't like it put their own show on. This is one of the best nostalgia drags in the country. The staff went WAY above and beyond to accommodate needs most other events don't even think about. I will be sickened if they decide to drop this event because of some whiners. This thing sets the standard for events of this kind PERIOD.

12. there where somethings that i saw, mainly the Camaro running and few small things, but the total event made up for the small things. the people that are complaining are just being to picky in my opinion, overall I thought it was a great event and i cant wait until next year.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well enough of the drama.
    We had a great time tuned my crap from a 13.28 to a 12.98 in four runs. Not so bad for an old hillbilly.

I had my head under the hood on saturday and didnt here the no call and got sent back but that was just an excuse to start drinking I was not going anywhere I was camped. And we had steak and lobster on the kooky grill.

My bud showed up in the 48 AD that I had a big hand in. It was good to see it again.

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

I don't think there were many folks havin' more fun than you and me that weekend...Heck,we knocked almost two full seconds off our collective times...!Whats more fun than going faster..?:D

It was great meeting you as well,just wish there would have been more time to hang out.

I guess that's the only change I would make to the Meltdown if I had to change one thing:

I would make it a month long!:D

Great job guys,you have the admiration and respect of all who attended.Please don't get discouraged,because what you are doing is the only light at the end of an otherwise very dark,year long tunnel for many of us.

God bless every one of you who have a hand in the creation and execution of this event.

Scott

15. Hey, when it's as good as the Meltdown, they can't get enough!

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is awesome! They even included a few pictures of my car. My dad and my stepson will be pleased that their photos were included.

Thanks again for everything Paul, you guys worked your asses off to make a fantastic event for everyone. It really was the event of the year!

Scott

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well thanks for that Scott now my tune up does not sound so good.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Help brother! You already had yours running pretty sharp! Two not that much eat off a car that already runs great is a pretty big accomplishment in my books. The only reason I was even able to shave so much ET off mine, was because my tuneup was garbage, and Gary the carburetor doctor was able to save me from myself! LOL

I am definitely planning on camping on site next year. I missed all the fun this year!

Scott

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

redlineracer42 now you are just showing off
    I will get there someday but for now it will be a jack and photoshop for me tell I get some more OPM.

20. No man.....twas just such a great shot I HAD to share it!!!

21. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

The Meltdown started from an idea and wishing to re-create the past, a time many of us missed out on. Cars looking correct is only part of it. The MDA is a group of like minded individuals, they respect the past, respect the people attending, respect the track, respect the effort that was put into each car by its owner, even if you didn’t build your car, you still had to get it to the track! The biggest thing the MDA looks at is character, we always try to help guys who didn’t meet criteria in the past. We have never booted someone or told them to figure it out. At the end of the day some dis-respectful people make doing this not fun! So THANK YOU to the 98% of spectators and participants who understand what the event is about, what it takes to put it on, and how hard it can be to work on it all year long tirelessly and to have a handful of people take it away from all of us!
    SOOOOOO…..our solution is simple. We not only want to bring back the 60’s feel, and we think we have, we ask that you bring back the 50s and 60s respect that used to exist out there. It exists with most of you reading this.
    But to those individuals who choose to act childish, dis-respectful, or like a total DOUCHE, 2014 will have been your last year to attend. This is vacation for many, fun for all, and should be a true life experience. To the ones who acted in an un-professional manner please do not attend …..it is NOT THE EVENT for you!
    You have heard people speak to it, and now you are hearing it from us! If you feel the need to complain PLEASE volunteer to help for a day, this may change your entire outlook of the world. Or ask yourself, what does it take to put this on and organize this. Think about it! As guys who NEVER organized a huge event like this, let us tell you straight up…it is bigger and more time consuming than you can imagine!
    That being said the rules were put in place NOT to be a game, not to test the inspectors. They were put in place to get like minded racers together to race with cars like their own! If you feel the need to ‘test’ the rules or do it your way…..DO NOT attend! This goes for delay boxes, stutter boxes, wheels or hood scoops….the biggest things that we have issues with. IF you cannot RESPECT the RULES….you are telling the MDA and the fans “ I do not respect you and the event” Please DO NOT ATTEND!
    If you need a delay box or stutter box to race GO SOMEWHERE else……we are looking for driver SKILL…not computer accuracy. And god does it sound like crap!
    We feel that 95% of racers understand this, but the 5% that do not stick out to everyone! They want to run 1/10th faster or cut a .001 better reaction time. We have said it before and will say it again…..THE MELTDOWN is NOT about who is fastest, it is NOT about who wins or loses! It IS about reliving the past, paying tribute to our fallen family members, fellow hot rodders, friends who may have taught us the hobby, educating people who are unaware, and having a good time!
    The MDA is strong! We are committed to the event! We are committed to you! But even we need to take a step back from time to time and ask ourselves is this worth all the effort. AS of now…..YES IT IS! There will be a 2015 MD and many more…..we do need your help we ask you to educate your friends, have them read the criteria section there are UPDATES coming on the meltdown website, explain to them what this is all about. AND if you can tell up front, their personality is NOT what will fit in here…..encourage them not to attend! We are looking for the best of the best, and the guys and gals who “Get it”! We would prefer to have 400 period cars and friendly racers than 500 that do not get it!
    The MDA apologies up front for the few that not only take away the fun from you, but also from ourselves! We also apologize for any non-criteria things you saw, we already have a 2015 plan in place to ensure things are back on track. 2015 may be the year we ask people to go home who push the rules or play games!
    THANK YOU the Hot Rodders, Racers, Pin Ups, Spectators, Fans, and new comers we appreciate your SUPPORT, & respect, and all you do to help us make this what it is for all of our enjoyment!
    Respectfully,
    Koop & Paul
    Entire Meltdown Drags Assoc.

22. Well put! Sign me up as competitor # ONE!!!!

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will take # 2

24. rascal55

rascal55

WELL SAID !!!! It aint broke so don't try to fix it !!
    You guys did a fantastic job !!

25. Well put. Told in a way before political correctness. Vintage in your face communication i like that. This is a group i want to hang with. Sign me up as a volunteer.

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Agree well said, might want to keep the guy who opened up his trunk to turn the nitrous bottle on in the staging lanes out also. I wouldn't want to think about what I would be doing next summer without the Meltdown!
    You guys are doing an awesome job and looking forward to next year.

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

I wanted to draw attention to that too,as the rest of us work hard to build the best period appearing car we can,then some joker with a 14 second 200hp car is suddenly running deep in the 12's.....

I didn't bring it up,as I didn't want to be pissing and moaning about anything,but I'm glad you brought it up for one HUGE reason:

If that car got out of shape and ended up on its roof that guy could be in a world of shit,and drag the safety crew with him.

Without that giant 'N' and an arrow pointing down at the bottle shoepolished on the back window,the safety guys would have no clue that there was 1200psi worth of blue bomb in the trunk,with the line feeding any fire that might break out.

That guy thought he was being cute by running nitrous,but it was disrespectful to everyone else who tried to make it a period correct,fun event,and it
    Could have ended in a real disaster.

Glad nothing came of it,but it's something to be watched out for next time.

Scott

28. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I never made any complaints to any of the MDA members for the weekend, I didn't want to be "that" guy to bitch or turn someone in . I don't know what any of the other complaints were. Drivers meeting said the 3 main rules and one was no phucking whining. I'm just airing out a few thing I saw to make a better Meltdown for next year . Too bad you were out in the north 40 with your car I wanted to stop and say hi. I spent more time watching the races than I should have than walking around. Bill