Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **1941 Plymouth Business Coupe Mid 40's Early Custom Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BloodyKnuckles, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Well, here I am a year later. I got this car and have not had the time nor the ambition to work on, what I feel will be, my dream. I've had a vision for many years on what kind of custom I would ideally want to build. I built and drove a '51 Plymouth as a very early 50's custom. What I caught myself doing was swaying heavily on late 40's styling but it's tough to go backwards with a 50's car.

I've grown to love 30's-50's Mopars and I have always loved 39-42 Coupes. So when this one came about I was very excited.

With this custom I would like it to appear as if it was completed in 1944. I would like it to be an understated yet classy car.

With all of that said, here's what I picture the final product to be;
    1.) Proper 40's era custom height, not laying frame or dragging bumpers. Most people would tend to think it will need lowered to follow current trends. Perfect for me.
    2.) Black walls with a 2 piece, full wheel cover. Lyons or Flippers are an option but I do have a set of '41 Cadillac caps that I may modify to work with my idea.
    3.) 1941 Buick Grill. I have a LaSalle and a '42 Buick grill but the '41 just seems right.
    4.) Welded front fenders to eliminate unwanted seams.
    5.) Removed running boards and molded rockers
    6.) Front and Rear fenders will have the "ribs" removed but the top of the wheel opening "speed" line kept.
    7.) '40 Mercury or '41 Studebaker taillights with another option being bumperette lights.
    8.) The Car has been wedge chopped but if a metal roof will be kept, the front A pillars will be extended and the rest of the roof re-massaged.
    9.) Possibly install a Chrysler 2 piece rear window from a late 30's coupe which I have.
    10.) Ultimately, graft a convertible windshield header and latches and construct a padded Carson top. White, of course.
    11.) Interior is tastefully done with a distressed dark brown tuck and roll and a black rubber floor
    12.) Some chrome accents including garnish mouldings and dash items.
    13.) Gloss black enamel paint.
    14.) Buick Skirts.
    Items I'm kind of stuck on;
    1.) Headlights. I have a few different sets of '40 Ford aftermarket "jeweled" bezels. Just not sold on anything just yet.
    2.) Cat's Eye auxiliary lights mounted on the front bumper
    3.) License plate placement
    4.) Engine. I've had great luck with Mopar flathead 6 cylinders but I've already done that. I have seriously considered a Ford Flathead v-8, Cadillac Flathead v-8, Buick OHV straight 8. I do have a Desoto Hemi but it is from '53. Just a bit too new.

So, there you go. I've got my work cut out for me and my fellow Iron Lords but there is enthusiasm to bring this thing to fruition.

I hope to include pics soon. Any bit of vision, opinions, concerns are encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

BloodyKnuckles

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles

Old-Soul likes this.
  3. exterminator

exterminator

Nice coupe.I like the idea of the hemi,but you have to build it your way.

4. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of great ideas, Boobie, and I know that you're the guy that can get them done. You didn't mention the existing windshield... I don't think you can leave it with that flush look glass installation and hit your build date; maybe search out some stock trim and cut to size? Also, as I look at the side profile, I'd love to see the bulbous look at the front of the hood reduced by wedge cutting the hood from back to front (0 to 1 or 1 1/2"?) which keeps the hood fitting in the stock location and the nice looong front to rear trim staying stock. I know that this a ball busting bit of metalwork (even for Jeroma or Damon) as my friend Tom Farrell has done this on a '40 Ford hood recently. I can take you by his shop so you could discuss it first hand with him.

Whatever you do, I know it will be well thought out and executed. Guess I better stop by now that its over at the clubhouse...

vic

5. 64grand

64grand

Beautiful!! Great color choice!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Thanks Uncle Vic! I appreciate your input. I absolutely will change the windshield back to a stock type. I'd like to see the work done on that '40 hood. It makes sense. You do need to come by more often.

Thanks guys!

BloodyKnuckles

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Anxiously awaiting your build. You will have the best early custom around.... until Benson builds the Merc!

8. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Standin' By.........

9. skooch

skooch

I like the stock headlights on the 41's

10. coupe man

coupe man

Nice car to start with.For headlights on mine I used 75 chrys cordoba units.

11. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

We'll just have to see which club can build a better custom ;)

All kidding aside. I really look forward to Ron cutting this car apart and building his dream car. There aren't enough early style customs in our area!

@minamyer

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  12. missysdad1

missysdad1

+2 on angle cutting the hood, but I think that'll only get you half way to where you want to go. Consider dropping the grille area a couple of inches as well, and pie-cutting the fenders, etc. to make it all work. This is what need louvers ? did to his '48 Plymouth coupe with great success.

The hood portion of the side trim spear accents the nose-high look it's got now, so I'd consider shortening it - but once the fenders have been dropped the full-length trim may actually improve the profile. Be a call to make once the heavy cutting has been done.

The '41 Buick grille would be perfect and would actually help lose some of the nose-high look.

If it was mine to do I'd be looking for some convertible doors and a cowl section right away and forget about trying to make the current chop look better in a '40s kinda way. I don't think it'll happen due to the reverse nature of what's already been done. Besides, if you cut it off carefully you might be able to sell the whole works - cowl, top, doors and rear upper body section - to somebody who can use it on another car. The idea of a Carson-style top on a short-roof body like yours is absolutely perfect.
    Oh, one more thing. I'm not a big bag fan but I make an exception when it comes to early customs. I was marginally involved in the construction of the Junior Conway coupe by Jivin' Jer and recommended that he divert from "authentic" during the construction of his clone by including bags expressly for the sake of driveability and ease of trailer loading. He chose instead to be authentic and static-lower the car, and as a result it rarely gets driven and is a boogerbear to get into and out of his trailer.

Not that I think you'll ever trailer your car, but it will look better if you seriously lower it instead of just mildly as you mention above. A couple of inches of adjustability between "serious" and "mild" will make all the difference in the way the car looks and how well it will behave when you actually do drive it. Food for thought.

Great project.

13. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

sounds amazing, looking forward to progress pics!

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

We all know you are thee custom guy! I'm excited for everyone to get cars on the road. Yours especially!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  15. Wow im likin the sound of this! Early customs are great!

16. It's not about the best, it's about quality in numbers! I really hope Justin turns out what I know he can. We really do need more early customs. Let's get this ball rolling!!!

missysdad1, I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond with your opinions.
    I'm need to get the Buick grill in place to see how the hood placement will work out. The top is not chopped quite the way I would like for an early to mid 40's custom. We have discussed looking for a convertible cowl, windshield and door pillars. This may be rather difficult but well worth the search. I'm not sure it would be worth all the work to re-chop it how I would ultimately like so I do believe a Carson Padded Top will be put in place.
    Also, This car being built as early as I want, low ride height will not be an issue. It will be dropped slightly from stock but not low in todays standards.
    Thanks again for all your input.

Thanks brother!

BloodyKnuckles

17. So, a bit of an update.

I started disassembly of the front end to remove the Cadillac 500 to replace it temporarily with a Cadillac 425. After spending a few days swapping over parts I decided that all of this is a tremendous waste of time. I put it on hold to look for the appropriate engine.

Well, today I just picked up the replacement. I chose to use another flathead 6. It's what I know. This one is a complete unit with the 3 speed trans and both have been rebuilt and are from a restored car. The displacement is a whopping 201 cubic inches of fire breathing power! Look out!

One consideration I may make is the inclusion of an overdrive transmission. NO, I'm not using a T-5. While they are fantastic transmissions, there are many, many other options that I don't need to discuss here. I have chosen to use the trusty-dusty Mopar A-833. It's a 4 speed where 4th is .73 overdrive. I did this swap successfully in a '34 Plymouth that I used to own. It is a great transmission if you have an underpowered engine. 1st is low for ease of movement, 2nd is nice and close, there is a slight jump to 3rd but not too much and once you shift into 4th, the torquey little engines shine. Should be absolutely no problem to get 26-28 mpgs with this combination.

Before the "new" engine goes in I am removing the front disc brake set up, master cylinder, all brackets and pedals. A good friend will end up with all of that and I'll receive his all stock set up that will include; all brackets, clutch pedal, brake pedal, fully functioning and rebuilt drums and backing plates with a dual master cylinder. All of this makes me very, very happy.

So, as you can see, I have my work cut out for me for a bit. Progress.....

BloodyKnuckles

18. super pumped to see this come together. and it seems that your plan is about perfect to me!

19. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Looking forward to see your early kustom being built. Not many of them around on the HAMB or anywhere. Too bad you have to put a lot of work into "unbuilding" a modernized car instead of starting with a fresh stock car. Subscribed!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Just found this thread, looks like you have some great plans! Subscribed.

21. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that engine and trans from Tim T?

22. Good eye old man!

BloodyKnuckles

23. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Bloody, you've got some great pictures there, why not turn them loose with your plans to the PhotoShop guys on that big thread.

24. Thanks brother. I hope to not disappoint.

I do agree. The world needs more early customs. I'm not bummed about cutting this car apart because it was going to happen no matter what. The big thing to me is that this car was built by someone else so it's important for me to make it my own so that it's never mistaken for the previous version. The present version is nice just not my vision. Thank you.

Glad you found it too! Stay tuned.

I may just have to do that. Good idea!

BloodyKnuckles

25. Didn't see your build thread until today. I was curious why you wanted the cross member and front end stuff that is getting cut out of my 39 Dodge o_O If you are in a real hurry, roll your ass down here Sunday and we can torch all that stuff out. ( Saturday we are taking the digger to Paradise Dragway).

Or here is an idea - come down and go to the drags with us and crash at my place Sat night. Sunday we can cut that frame up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  26. Now that sounds like a fun weekend.

27. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Looks like great project. Hope to see you GG Charlotte show. Peace

28. j hansen

j hansen

Nice car,good plan.Subscribed!

29. A bit of an update.

I've been on a mission to located proper engine for the time period and have settled on another flathead 6. I need to prepare the frame back to original before I can bolt it back in. I will run the original, floor shifted trans. Both have been rebuilt with very low miles since. Also, I have acquired the appropriate pedals for the brake, clutch and gas. I will install a dual master cylinder but am removing the discs and installing drums. I know these Mopars pretty well and have always been pleased with the performance of the original braking systems.

So, the big thing is that I plan on making a 10 hour trip in October with my other Iron Lord club mates and friends to the Customs By The Sea in Wildwood NJ during the Race Of Gentlemen. This is a great goal for me. I work well under time constraints. I'm anticipating having it on the road and put some good miles on it before the trip.

Quick artsy pick of the engine;

[​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles