Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to save from 37 flatback

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bambbrose, Jul 16, 2014.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

37 slantback/fastback/flatback cars came in both Tudor (desireable ones) and Fordor (parts cars for Tudors/Coupes) versions.
    Any of these would give you a usable front axle , spindles for your A and a banjo rearend if that is what you want/need. Spindles are 37-41 Car and Pickup, 42-48 Car an 42-47 pickup spindles are good too.
    Do some heavy reading to get a knowledge base for doing your first hotrod. That will save you alot of missteps, both monetary and otherwise. Get after it.

bambbrose likes this.
  2. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Thanks for answering my question with detail and taking the time to educate! I'm reading up as much as I can, but of course when a deal comes up you have to jump and don't always have time to do your homework.

Picked up the 41 ford this weekend. Body is actually WAY nicer than I expected, but still it is missing so much interior, etc that I don't think it's worthwhile to restore or flip this 4-door sedan. I'll be parting it out.

Got the suspension, two steering columns with steering box, juice brakes, pedal set, driveline and banjo, and my 16" wheels all for the roadster.

All said the entire car was well south of $1k so I'm happy as a lark.

Loading her up
    photo 1.JPG

Brought along my little helper

photo 2.JPG

Home in the garage

photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

3. rjgideon

rjgideon

I have a '40 front axle. If you split the bones and have a relatively narrow chassis, you can do a "Rolling Bones" style front suspension with perch pins through the wishbones using a 31" Model A spring pack. The trick is that the wishbones angle in and that makes up the width difference between the earlier Model A axle and the '41 axle. Getting those perch pins out is a real PITA, and mine wasn't as rusted.

I think you got a killer deal on all of the frame components for your '27. Did you get the flathead as well, or is it missing?

bambbrose likes this.
  4. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

No motor or trans, that would have been an insane deal if they where there.
    I'm going to start soaking the parts in PB Blaster. I'm sure she can soak for a few weeks before I give it a go and try to unbolt everything. Fingers crossed for that day.

I've read up a bit on the perch on bones setup. Could work for me but I need to draw it all out. I am trying to keep wheelbase small but have enough room for everything too. Lots of 26-27 T roadsters end up too long after you stuff a big motor in them.

5. camerl2009

camerl2009

that body is in good shape 4 door cars get no love they too can be made into nice looking cars

patmanta and rustynewyorker like this.
  6. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

someone will surely want the front cap off of that 41, at least..

bambbrose likes this.
  7. rjgideon

rjgideon

The best way to stay away from the too-long look is to not use a Speedway Model T frame kit. :) I think my wheelbase will be about 108" That may be too long for some, but I want to make sure I have room for a mechanical fan in front of the engine. The oil filter also sits real close to the front crossmember at the front of the engine.

8. rjgideon

rjgideon

Guys on eBay will buy that rear window frame for botched chops as well.

bambbrose likes this.
  9. camerl2009

camerl2009

a little chop on the top some lowing and throw a nice paint job on it it would make a nice looking car but know guys who would fight for a body in that shape what we get here is nothing like that

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I still think that would be a good family street rod candidate. Heck, the door handles are already halfway to shaved!

There's a lot less hours removing parts involved in selling the frame and body too!

11. Southfork

Southfork

Is the Model T truck body you pictured available? Did you ask about that?