Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tips on lowering 49-54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Aug 17, 2013.

1. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

OK, I know this has been covered before but I thought I would give you my personal experience to help someone else save some time. After reading many posts on this site I went ahead and installed some lowering blocks to the rear, simple and cheap, the rear was done. The front is a little more complicated. I cut 1 & 1/2 coils from the front coil springs and installed new shorter shocks. The stance was great but the ride was terrible. After 700 miles of slam banging I couldn't take it any more.

Here is what I did today and it is sooooo much better. First buy a set of Moog 8542 coils. I got them off of eBay for $52.00 with free shipping from Jegs. Next buy a set of Monroe 555001 shocks. Nobody here in Indianapolis had them in stock so you will probably need to order them. I got them from Oreilys auto parts for $40.00 for the pair. The original cut coils and and the slam banging destroyed the original bump stops so I would advise installing new ones while you're at it. $32.00 with shipping from National Chevy Association took care of that. Now cut the new coils by 1/2 coil, that should take about 1 & 1/8 inch off the height of the coils. This not only lowers the car by about 2.5 inches and brings the coils up close to the spring rate of the original coils.

I'm not going to get into how to install the coils. Get a shop manual or pull the one off the web for free. The job is pretty straight forward but any time you pull apart a 60 some year old front end it is a pretty greasy job but it can be done on jack stands with basic hand tools.
    Have fun and enjoy the way your car looks and rides.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

How about some pics?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I'll post some pictures before and after tomorrow.

4. dt50chev

dt50chev

Before tomorrow and after tomorrow?

5. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for the tip. The parts numbers really help.
    How are the new Monroe shocks better than the shorter shocks you were already using?

6. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Hey thanks for the tip, as of right now I'm tail dragging all over town wondering what exactly I want to do about the front end? This advice sounds like a plan. I put a 3" block in rear, what is common?

7. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Sorry for the confusion. The Monroe 555001 are the new shorter shocks. Whether you cut the original coils or use the cut Moog 8542's you will need a shorter shock than the originals. If you don't the shocks will become your bump stop and probably eventually break the bottom shock mount out.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  8. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Three inch blocks are about as big as you can go without a c notch in the rear. And especially if you are still running the original torque tube rear end. You don't want all your differential fluid running forward out of the pumpkin to the U-joint

9. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Here are a few pictures of before and after I lowered the Fleetline.
    DSCN2148.JPG

DSCN2599.JPG

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Very nice. Current l y I am just running lowering blocks in the rear. I like the stance. You made some nice changes.

11. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Thanks for the pics, I recently acquired a 54 and I'm trying to get a good look without crazy cash for air ride and notched frames.

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

C-10,

Nice car. Where did you get the caps in the second picture?
    Paul

13. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Look's really nice. What size block's did you use in rear?

14. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

15. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I used 2 inch blocks in the back. I always have a lot of "junk in the trunk" (tools, small floor jack, spare tire, small set of jack stands, a gallon of coolant, couple quarts of oil & a cooler) that brings the back down a little more. I believe in being self reliant out on the road.

16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

17. ALMAdeVENTA

ALMAdeVENTA

Thanks for the info. Gonna do this to my 49'

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Would you happen to still have the piece that you cut off your new springs. If so please upload a pic so I can get an idea on how much you cut.
    I'm getting ready to try this and don't wanna mess up.