Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 Desoto 5 window coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HILLBILLY HOT RODS, Aug 7, 2012.

1. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

This is my sons new purchase its a rare 1939 5 window desoto , i will be helping him build the coupe this will be his first old car project he has had alot of imports and now he has seen the lite lol

I now that we will be channelling the body over the frame and we will build a 2x3 chassis for it with a dropped axle .

Heres some pix we took of it when he bought it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. metal man

metal man

So, it's all white then?

3. Great project! Send us some more pics when ya get it home....

4. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

We will post pix as we go this is all we have rite now .

My son is 23 yrs old and i am really proud that he decided to to this build .

5. 41 C28

41 C28

Cool, keep the pictures coming.

6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Excellent! I'll definetly be watching this one... I have a couple 41's.

Good luck finding parts:D. Cant be any easier for the 39's than the 41's....

7. Good start for you and him to build a neat car. Get him hooked!

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Keeping fenders...yes?

9. metal man

metal man

That could be a very cool custom....

10. 35desoto

35desoto

I have a 1939 Desoto S6 coupe tucked away also. Mine is a Custom which in reality means it had plusher upholstyery and twin lights plus twin horns when new. Build numbers are about 498 for the customs and 5500 for the standard coupe - this does not take into account the other rare MOPAR coupe which a 1000 bodies were built and sharewd between Chrysler, desoto and dodge. I just cant remember the name of that body at the mo. 1939 was strange year - shared many mechanicals as a 1938 yet was a one off body year - 1940 was different again. I love them - think they have the best of Ray Dietrich's art deco styling - long swooping lines. Shame he resigned mere months after Walter P Chrysler's death

11. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

I have a 39 Chrysler I;m lowering and putting in a v8 and I like that when done I will never see another at a show.

12. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a decent body and it has some nice lines towards a custom.

13. TexasDart

TexasDart

and you passed on the pinto delivery for this....

14. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

I could probably hook you up LOL if you really want it :D

15. charlieb66

charlieb66

Be ready to answer the question a thousand times. What kind of car is that? Leave the emblems off, it drives them crazy.

16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

17. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The stock headlight lenses are occasionally available on the Bay, but pricey. It was the last year before sealed beams and the shape is weird. But they help make that front end cool. Look for other complete 39 Mopar ones you could graft in?

If the frame is not rusty, it should be ok for a V8. There should be a X- member in it for strength.

Front end, if not rusty, is IFS and can be used, add rack & pinion if you want.

An early Dakota is a good donor for these. Graft to the original frame with good fit & keep Mopar / Ford wheel pattern. Later ones have 6 lug wheels, earlier ones 5 lugs.

Ford 8.8 rear from an Explorer is the right width & later ones are all disc. Also 5 lug, same wheel pattern as stock wheels.

Good luck with parts! Some Dodge interchange, some Chrysler. But little from other years.

Post more pics too - dash, interior, underside. Let's see your starting point. Should be fun build, not a lot of catalog stuff available.

18. douglasarthur

douglasarthur
    from Tacoma

I have been trying to finish my custom 39 desoto for a few years now :).

I also have those stock headlight lenses and driver quality rings that I didn't use in my build. You can pm me as I have quite a few stock parts I didnt use.

What I thought was neat when I got it was that they came with ifs, coils and shock mounts. So you can chop the springs if ur building with a low budget. There is a huge x member, I got mine with chopped springs and a largly scraped x member as it hangs down about 3 inches below the side rails. I boxed the frame and put in an Art Morrison centerframe uweld kit in it. 2x4, I highly recommend it. The 8.8 from the explorer fits perfect. Lokar makes the lines that will go from your stock e brake handle back to the rear.

Good luck with the build its a beautiful car (my favorite) and has some of the best body lines in that era.

19. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

Well my son bailed on this build so i bought it from him and started tarring it down , i'm gonna put a sbc in it and a gasser tube dropped axle in the front with parallel leafs.

Heres some pix

Attached Files:

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks good so far.. Cool body style...

21. I always like to see early MOPARs being resurrected. I'm biased since I have a '39 and a '46 Plymouth Business Coupes. Keep us posted on your progress.

22. gatz

gatz

too bad your son bailed on it....woulda been a good project to learn on.

what is the gas filler neck from ?

[​IMG]

23. You got a nice Desoto there,;) what's wrong with a nice 318, 383, or 440 ???:confused: Even a Ply flat 6 is cool, :cool: but not a Chevy !!! :eek: Sorry but Chevys belong in Chevys. JMO.
    I'm building a '48 Ford, you won't see a C in it, FLATHEAD all the way.
    Good luck with the build, praying your son sees the light and decides to get back in the project.
    All the best, :)
    Wes

24. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Looks pretty cool. Are you planning on racing it as a gasser? If so, a lot of the nostalgia gasser groups require the look of the early gassers: non-lowered, non tubbed, non-4link rear, etc... I'm building a 39 Olds coupe gasser and checked the rules of most of the gasser groups before planning my chassis. Anyway, looks sweet.

25. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

26. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

Did a little more work on the chassis , i Z'ed the front frame and tacked the spring perch mounts still lots more welding and fabbing i will post pix as i go.

I have a sbc motor for now but in the future i would love to put a blown 392 hemi .

The is going to be a hot rod i'm not building it as a legal gasser more of a street machine to play with .

Thanks for all the info and comments good or bad lol its all good.

Anyway heres some pix enjoy , i'm loving the looks of this beast.

Attached Files:

27. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Man, you have got that sitting exactly where it needs to ride, love the stance, wait until those fenders go back on at that hieght, your boy will wish he never pulled out of the deal.

Did you see the link to the 39 DeSoto headlights i posted above your post, they are on e-bay.

Kenny.

28. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

Thanks Kenny i did check them out and thanks for the compliments on the car.

Mike

29. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

Today i squared up the frame and welded the new front section to the rear frame then i set the wheelbase and made some plates to hold the leafs in place , tomorrow i will weld the front leaf hangers into place and mount the body at the front (firewall) then i can roll it out side and get a good look at it.

Here's some pix of todays work

Attached Files:

30. kennkat

kennkat

Yes, "rustednutz" is correct.... but heck even in "real life" things like 4 - links and disc brakes did not happen until the late 60's early 70's....
    I have a customer that owned a "state of the art" (Pat Foster/Ronnie Scrima chassis) Anglia Gasser in 1967 and it had front disc brakes when "almost nobody else did" and His 1966 "Winternationals" winning 41 Willys did not...:)