Register now to get rid of these ads!

spare change and leftovers

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by duke182, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Not bored at all, I think we all started off with piles of parts and every one you collect is that much closer to having a race car. Keep at it and keep posting pictures, it's fun seeing it all come together.:D

2. ScottV

ScottV

Not boring me either Duke ... I just wish mine wasn't stored so far away, I got a bunch to do on it !!!

3. duke182

duke182

thanks for the encouraging words ya'll.
    i hope to have more to share soon.

4. Old28

Old28

Duke, We all started in the same place, just keep doing a little each day and it will happen. Some days I just sit there looking at the parts and building it in my mine. I am having more fun building this car than my last one that ran 8.20's and if this one runs high 12's I will be a happy camper.

I will say that at first I was not going to do a build thread on the car as I am not all that good with putting two written words together, but I did and it is a lot of help on questions and you will get a lot of encouragement from people. Put lots of pictures even if the are of the parts only, we love pic's.;)

5. duke182

duke182

i know that i am a long way from needing a trailer but i have a candidate.
    i have a newer flatbed with a tool box etc but i really think it would fit this type of car to be hauled on something a little more basic.
    recently i lost the use of a chicken house that i had been using to store some of my junk.
    included in that junk was an old single axle trailer that my dad built to haul a race car that he and a friend built many years ago. i think i will rebuild this trailer and use it to haul spare change and left overs where ever it goes.
    sorry for the crappy picture

Attached Files:

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool, I like the idea of home built trailers for the home built cars. :p

7. duke182

duke182

well here are a couple more pieces for the pile.
    the switch came from a battery jumper box and the bottle
    is from the left over pile.
    it is not the one i posted earlier.
    this one was used as the fuel tank in an anglia project years ago and then as the fuel tank for an injected flame thrower set up.
    i found it and figured it would save a little time and effort.
    i started cleaning it up and made a mounting strap.
    a little more work on both and i will be satisfied.

Attached Files:

8. duke182

duke182

was a little bored and thought i would use my limited artistic ability to put my vision of an ha/gr on paper.
    this is the basic idea of my plan.
    hope you enjoy.
    suggestions or complaints are welcome.
    next step: nhra rule book just to see how the pros do it. lol!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  9. Old28

Old28

I like the idea's you have put in the drawing. If your rails are 3x2'' rectangular I would run the holes in the frame the full length, but if you are going to run an un-boxed frame I would not put any holes from the front of the motor to the rear axle. There is a lot of torque from the inline 6 in this area. You may want to think about boxing this area. I love the look of a drill frame and axle setup.;) Keep getting those parts together.

Do use the NHRA rule book for driver area (Altered Spec). Have fun building.:D

10. duke182

duke182

old28
    the frame is just the channel type from an old pick up truck.
    i intend to remove the stock cross members and build my own tubular pieces.
    i also will most likely use your idea to box the frame from the motor back.
    even so i may still add holes to this section on the outside of the rails.
    i know the holes will not take away from the vertical strength of the rails and i figure the cage will add to the tortional rigidity, so i dont think a few holes will cause a problem.

11. Old28

Old28

Duke -- That will be a different type frame and will be interesting to see how your plan comes together. If you box the frame from the motor to rear end I would cut all the holes you can both inside and outside for the great look and to save a little weight. :)

Remember cross members and X bars keep the frame in alinement. Don't count on the cage structure to do that job, it is there to protect the driver only, but your right that it will add some rigidity to the whole package. This is only my take on an idea and the only one that matters is yours. ;)

You got a real good plan and your headed in the right direction. Hope you can start building real soon. Best of luck.:D

12. ThingyM

ThingyM

Duke.. I just thought I'd let you know that you have to have 2 straps on your gas tank.. They will not accept a single strap... Just little things like that is what your going to have to watch on your build....

13. duke182

duke182

old 28
    the holes will definately be there to lighten things up. if i see enough strength in it to drill the inside i will. i am a big fan of lightening holes so they will be used throughout this build.

as far as crossmembers go, i agree, they are what will provide strength to the frame. i intend to make them from round tubing for strength and weight savings.
    i also intend to build the frame no wider than necessary to hold the drivetrain and the seat.
    i want to keep it long and narrow except for the stock axle requirements. my ideas might take more work than some but i figure i'd rather spend a little time than a lot of money.

thingyM
    thanks for the heads up.
    i figured as much on the straps. it only makes sense that you would want the tank as secure as possible.
    that was the only piece of strap on hand at the time.
    i will have to find or buy another to fab up a second one.
    then i think i might drill and polish them for a more finished look.

14. duke182

duke182

here is a pic of one of the bodies i mentioned in another thread.
    i am contemplating modifying this one to use on occassion.
    also is a pic of some old boat anchors i picked up recently including another stovebolt motivator that will most likely donate to the cause at some point.

Attached Files:

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool! Another HA/GR with a Bucket!

16. duke182

duke182

hello ya'll
    i havent ben around much so i thought i woild drop a post to say hi and moan a little.
    things took a downward spiral in october so i have zero progress to report.
    the only news to report about the car is negative.
    i needed to generate some cash so i ended up selling the little red bucket body.
    oh well, i still have all the really necessary parts.
    now i just need time and money to align so that i can meet my self imposed deadline of summer 2012.
    i sure hope it 's a long summer.

17. duke182

duke182

Well, its official, I missed my goal of a running car
    For the summer '12 hamb drags.
    Its a bummer but sometimes life gets in the way of the other things you want to do.
    I'm down but I'm not out.
    when more progress happens I will post it.
    Until then thanks for letting me play here and hope to see you at the drags sometime.
    later.
    Duke

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hey, it's not bad yet. Some of the builds on here're a lot tardier'n yours. Some of the problems interrupting'em have been literally life threatening.

Hang in, and keep planning. It'll irk the heck out of the evil forces behind these interruptions. :D

Sorry, Duke, I just have this stupid Pollyanna outlook on life. :rolleyes:

Hope your problems dissipate soon. :cool:

19. Four Banger

Four Banger

Dick, this world could use some more people with your outlook! My parts pile is still a parts pile. Life has been working overtime to thwart my efforts, and the NHRA and my local track rules aren't helping. The locked diff/after market axle rule has killed my front drive plans. I refuse to do anything conventional, so I'm back to the drawing board. Hell, all I have to do is stick a small block in an old Nova, and as long as it's got all 20 lug nuts....I'm IN. Try to create something unconventional, and these guys think you're mounting an all-out assault on Motherhood, Apple Pie, and the American way...Sometimes I think I should just build what I want, and stick it under my tree out front and watch the pine needles cover it up. While that's happening, I can take Rocky's lead, and find an old air strip and invite some friends....I don't mean to sound bitter. I'm just....bitter!

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Having been one of the "near fatal delay" folks let me put in my $0.02. Don't let the idiots stop your dreams from happening. Keep at it, build what you want, innovate and have fun. If all else fails, when you get it running, load it up and bring it to Eagle Field and join in with the rest of us crazy people who believe that living drag racing as it was in the past is still possible. Our build has taken much longer than ever planned, but it will run and I'll gladly stage with you even if just to watch the back end of your car going away. It's not about winning, IT'S ABOUT DOING!:D

21. Old28

Old28

DUKE -- I am one of those medical wonders (I get up each day and thank the lord that my friends keep putting the good word in for me) This build has been great therapy for me and I have missed a lot of dead lines but it may be on the track this weekend. Keep your good outlook and add to the parts pile when you can. Your day will come, just takes time.;)

Don't have to be all about the build on your thread, keep us informed and in the loop about what's happening. We all like to talk cars & hot rods.:)

22. Four Banger

Four Banger

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I cannot believe the health issues, employment issues, and general issues that have screwed with me these past couple years. I'm too young for this nonsense. You guys are right, though. I have an outlaw track (1/8 mile) 97 miles East of Boise, and they welcome racers like me with open arms. If all I do is run a couple times a year there, and make one big trip to Eagle Field, my life would be good! The rest of the time, developing the car is my hobby, just as my old Honda 750 Chopper is. I ride it some....I work on it some...I smile at it A LOT. Hmm, my attitude is better already! Thanks guys...! Oh, and Tom...I think on a technical level, you'd need to be in FRONT of my car to see the back end.....

23. Old28

Old28

Four Banger, see just thinking about getting the car on the track has amped up you out look. Nice that you have a track that is game for this type of car. Getting through Tech this weekend at our NHRA track with my new car was a great feeling and a small step forward. Stick with it.

24. duke182

duke182

Hello all
    Ive been awol for a while so I thought I would drop a line to say high and update the thread.
    Once again I have little progress to report.
    I did get the frame moved to the shop and I did mamage to obtain tubing for my x-members. Including a removable dropped tranny mount.
    Among other parts I have been able to scrounge up are a suitable steering wheel, a custom fabbed steering column and a set of 15" steelies for the back. They will be attached to a 9" out of a 64 galaxie. It may be a little wide but it should be just about bullet proof behind a 235. I have also sourced a three speed from a 68 nova. Also included with that is all the associated parts and the pedals and hanger assembly.

Hopefully in the not to distant future I will be able to grace you with details and pictures of real progress.
    Until then
    Drive em fast and straight
    Duke

25. duke182

duke182

This doesnt have much to do with the build, if anything but I thought I would throw out this as a teaser.
    Its a few pics from one of my dads scrap books.
    I hope it turns out ok. Im doing this with my phone right now.
    If I get a chance I want to capture all the old pics digitally.
    Anyway I hope you enjoy

Attached Files:

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Nice. :cool:

27. Old28

Old28

Very cool shots!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Any idea on the time frame?:confused:

28. duke182

duke182

Hope arkansas
    Drag strip at the airport.
    Airport was built during ww2 as part of a proving grounds
    Was and still is the biggest airport in the state

29. duke182

duke182

I have pics from the late forties to the mid nineties showing his involvement with cars. From family trips as a kid to racing, rodding and customizing