Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need wiring diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MemphisRaines, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Guys i need a good, clear and precise wiring diagram for me t-bucket. I bought a wiring harness and the schematic that came with it is extremely vague and of not much to use to me. I have a one wire GM alternator, 70's GM column, universal ign. switch and a universal 5 prong headlight switch. I will be installing a mechanical brake lights switch as well. Other than lights and gauges that is pretty much the bulk of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did search here and the internet but have not found what i am looking for as per my setup as i have listed.

Thanks

2. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

you can call
    Watson's street works - www.watsons-streetworks.com - 866-859-0513
    and buy their Basic Auto Electricity book which has a pull out wiring diagram in it or
    PM your address and I'll send you a copy - sorry no scanner at this time
    later
    wayne

3. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

you can call
    Watson's street works - www.watsons-streetworks.com - 866-859-0513
    and buy their Basic Auto Electricity book which has a pull out wiring diagram in it or
    PM your address and I'll send you a copy - sorry no scanner at this time
    later
    wayne

4. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

PM sent. thanks for the info.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Another thing you could do is to draw your own schematic for the whole system, and scan it and let us look it over for you to see if we think it'll work, and suggest any changes you might need to make. It's easier to change stuff on paper before you start cutting wires

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

A wiring harness can be overkill.

Frame,body, & engine negative ground (black)
    1 wire alt. to bulkhead or batt.,one wire to lights, & one wire to ign. switch (red)

On the ign. switch everything is labled. Add fuses (for safety) on the red.

Oh yeah, don't use that 70's column, there's a lot of overkill there.

This is a basic idea & everything 12volt. Use a volt resistor if not a 12v ign. coil.
    Google Image search: "GM S.I. wiring diagram"

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I know, I know, this is for a bike BUT it does show you how simple the drawing can be done! Wish this artist would do one for a Hot Rod!

Attached Files:

8. Jibs

Jibs

Heres a generic one that I used for my t-bucket.

Attached Files:

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What's a Custom Relay Box look like?

10. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Awesome info guys. Thanks. If i have any problems i will do as squirrel suggested and draw what i have and you can show me my errors.

11. I don't know , bet there's some stuff missing on that one.

But I did find out that a "solanoid" is a potato like cancer

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=Solanoid

and ballest would be a progression of ball, baller, ballest right

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Honda Chopper bare essentials!

13. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

OK guys, here is a drawing i did showing the items i have and one drawing showing the headlight switch i have. If someone could connect the "dots" for me or offer some advise based on this info i would really appreciate it. Sorry for the poor pics. My scanner is down right now. I just realized i forgot the alternator. It is a one wire GM.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is my guess on the headlight switch. You can use an ohm meter to verify my guess. The single lead on the end is the input. The outputs on the right are for your tail lights and gauge lights. One of the terminals on the left are for a connection to your dimmer switch. I wired one like this a week ago and that is how it worked.

I know I had a wiring diagram like you need bookmarked to a site on the net but I can not seem to find it. I will look some more and if I find it, I will post.

John

15. Jibs

Jibs

Its for a t bucket, most t buckets don't have steering columns with turn signals built in. Custom relay box is just a box to hold your relays to power your turn signals. This is just a simple schematic with just the basics. No air, no stereo, no power windows, you know, its for a t bucket!!

16. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This one? Leave out what you don't need...................

Attached Files:

18. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Thanks again i will follow up on this info. I am using a 70's GM column with factory turn signals.

19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I get it it's a basic "T".
    I am interested in seeing this "box", do you make it or do you buy it? If you buy it , where?

20. squirrel

squirrel

Turn signal wiring

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124217

Yours should have the "New" color codes, possibly the wires are black with the other color as a stripe. Connect each of the four light wires to the bright filament on that light, connect the brake switch, connect a two wire flasher can to power from the fuse box (you did get a fuse box, right?)

21. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Thanks everyone. Yes i have a 12 circuit fuse box with a harness. It is a really nice and looks to be good quality with heavy gauge wires. I am gonna punt on this project. I have a electrical genius (friend) who is coming over Saturday to do the wiring, LOL. I am afraid i might fry something before i am done so i will leave it to the expert. Thanks for all the info though. I appreciate it.

22. Code50

Code50

well, okay. I bought the simple wiring kit from Speedway/ It's all nice and neat and color wired, 'cept the colored wires from the back of the fuse block are NOT labeled as to which fuse they just came from. On taking the back off the fuse block, it appears to have only one wire coming from the fuse????? Confusing. I'm now considering making a small fuse block with old style glass fuses in a plastic block. Also, what is a start ignition ballast??

23. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Just wire the fuse box according to the instruction you got when you purchased the kit. You should not need any additional fuses.

The ballast resistor allows your ignition to start on a higher voltage and run on a low voltage. Very simply stated it enables the engine to start easier. There should be a wiring diagram with the kit or you can do a search here on the HAMB for wiring suggestions for the ballast resistor.

You could buy a book on wiring a hot rod or do some searching on the internet.

John

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If I traced this with different colored pencils, I think i might understand it better. Why not use the same gauge wire for all the runs except the battery? Maybe buying the marked wire from a kit would be the way to go. Bob [​IMG]

25. Code50

Code50

I threw away the box of wires from speedway and built my own. Mounted behind a glove box door. Using toggle switches and no key. IMG_5175.JPG

Attached Files:

26. F&J

F&J

Pretty good idea on having a door for fuses that looks like a glove box. It won't work for every style of dash, but it could on many others. No more bending your neck to look at fuses.

I know, I know....how often does one need to look at their fuses...but still a good idea.

Some 1950s cars had a huge wide ashtray that could be used as a place