Register now to get rid of these ads!

MOPAR engines in NASCAR before the 426 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steelking22, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Steelking22

Steelking22

Can anyone, WITH CERTAINTY, tell me what engine(s) the Pettys ran in 1962 and 1963 NASCAR Grand National competition? Also, were the MOPAR teams allowed to use more than a single 4bbl in NASCAR? Of course I would appreciate any links and or photos, I haven't been able to find much at all about the engines run in the '62 and '63 B-bodies.

2. R Pope

R Pope

Max Wedge 426, and Max Wedge II 426.

3. Steelking22

Steelking22

I was under the understanding that the Max Wedge engines were drag race engines that had not been engineered for 500 mile races. I have found articles talking about the 'underpowered Plymouths' and how Petty Engineering was among the first to really master suspension and set ups, because they just couldn't rely on power.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

5. Steelking22

Steelking22

Gotgas,
    thanks much. I'm going with the stock car - street legal approach with my '63 Sport Fury, low and wide. Americas has enough Max Wedge clones:)

6. R Pope

R Pope

The 426 was introduced in mid-1962.

7. The July 1963 issue of Hot Rod Magazine does a very nice in depth article on the Chrysler Grand National 426 and it's latest developments at that time especially to the 4 bbl intake manifold.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

May '62 is when the 413 Max Wedge was released. The 426 Max Wedge was introduced June '63.

9. Mr. Petty was a master of everything in his day, I heard he once used a bolt that when turned from inside the car he could lower the front end thus getting by pre inspection. They claimed he would use a ratchet while driving. Same guy told me about lead shot in the roll bars that were released while they drove to lighten the car up. Don,t know if its true but damn clever if it is. I believe they all were creative with the rules at one time or another.

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

NEVER enough Max Wedge clones! A stock car streeter would be nice though.

11. db300

db300

What's the difference between a RB 413 and a Max Wedge 413?

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The difference is the size of the intake and exhaust ports in the heads.

We had an old Petty stock car, came to us with a "new" 71 Charger body on it, probably a late 60s car. It indeed had a ratchet powered adjuster for the left side torsion bar right in front of the seat, easily reached by the driver. There was a lot of neat little tricks on that old chassis. Too bad the guy that had it before us was a fool, such a loss of potential. He had the money to make a great car out of it, we did not. Gene

13. all 413 , 426, 440's and 1958 383's are RB's (raised block) later 383's 361's and 400's are B blocks (standard block height)

as stated above the max wedge was pretty much all about the heads and intake runners

and yes a 426 hemi is a RB but due to the size of the heads the block is different ( extra row of head bolts)

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yes, and the Hemis have cross bolted mains and different oiling and cooling passages. I believe the lifter valley was also changed for pushrod clearance but don't quote me on that. Quite a few differences actually, but built from the basic RB architecture.

15. That is cool to know it is true, kind of funny to think that today people freak about using a cell phone while driving and he was doing all that going 200 mph.

16. Here is a photo of the 1963 426 Max wedge with the Nascar 4 bbl intake manifold that was developed by Chrysler. This manifold had the valley cover cast in as part of the intake manifold. In addition there was an air gap between the intake runners and valley cover to allow cool air under the plenum. The cylinder heads were modified to un shroud the intake valves that was necessary on the 413 because of the bore size. In addition a more aggressive cam profile was developed to replace the 1962 Nascar spec'd cam. Despit the improvements the 426 Nascar Wedge still found itself wanting at top speed with a deficit of 6-9 mph.

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      435.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Jack Foshee

Jack Foshee
    from taylor az.

Hi, I am new to this forum, and I am searching for any information about the nascar max wedge single four barrel engine,especialy 63 64 years. Need to confirm to NHRA that it was really built. thank you Jack

18. 64sshemi

64sshemi
    from weare n.h.

Gotgas, I think your dates are wrong, I ordered a new 63 Plymouth 426 Max Wedge from Fred F. Cain Chrysler Plymouth in February 1963.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Plymouth and Dodge were always down on power. Every time they developed a better engine, NASCAR changed the rules to make them illegal. Any time Chev or Ford came up with a cheater (mystery motor etc) they ignored the rules to let them in.

In those days Ford and Chev were the biggest selling cars and Bill France knew as long as there was a battle between Ford and Chev, he could sell lots of tickets. If Plymouth and Dodge won too many races he would lose money.

20. old flopper

old flopper

Did it come with the short cross ram 2 four intake?

21. old flopper

old flopper

The only single four barrel intake for max wedges I have seen is the one pictured in post #16. There were 426 wedges with single four in ’64 (not sure about '63) that could be dealer purchased, but they were not max wedges, completely different heads.

22. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

You need to get this book:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Cheating-Insi...24284&sr=8-1&keywords=book:+cheating+(nascar)

23. there was also a special block. once in a while they pop up. the only way i can describe them is that they look like a waffle on the sides. a friend of mine has one. its cast in and fairly deep. its a 426 wedge.

24. TigerII

TigerII

Petty carried an open end wrench in a pocket that he used to adjust the left torsion bar from the cockpit. They also used bushings in the front suspension that disintegrated in the first few laps that effectively lowered the nose of the car. Richard Petty is an interesting guy. During the latter part of the Vietnam war he had a piece sign incorporated in the seat framework directly behind his helmet. Sorry, a bit off topic but interesting.

25. Jack Foshee

Jack Foshee
    from taylor az.

thanks guys for the input, I acquired the 1963 hot rod mag, and it did have some good info, but nhra wants more specific info on the engine, so any help would be appreciated, thanks Jack