Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone know an easy way to remove the galvanizing from emt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

does anyone know of a way to remove the galvanizing from conduit other than grinding it? is there a chemical process or some other method that would work effectively? thanks,,,,,

2. badshifter

badshifter

Muriatic acid (pool acid). Gloves, glasses and outdoors! Will smoke and fizz like CRAZY and when it stops, you'll have nice raw metal. Works like a champ.

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

uh oh! what could he be up to now...? :rolleyes::confused:

4. belair

belair

Don't breathe the fumes. I bet they're zinc-y and bad for you.

5. badshifter

badshifter

I was bored, so I did a quick sample for ya. Did I mention fumes? Very bad.

Attached Files:

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

Im assuming you want to remove the galvanizing to weld it. I came across this online, I didn't read the whole thing, and im not sure how true it is, but I'm pretty sure it says welding galvanized steel has no long term affects on you, and it's not as bad as most people think.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf

7. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Dont store it in an open container inside your shop, it will turn all your tools in your toolbox and any other bare metal orange with rust by morning, just from the fumes. I'll never do that again.....Scott

8. badshifter

badshifter

You may want to read the whole thing before you say it ain't bad for you. Do you really trust your life to an article on the internet?
    From your article:
    Typical “metal fume fever” begins about 4 hours after exposure, and full recovery occurs within 48 hours. The symptoms
    include fever, chills, thirst, headache and nausea. All of these symptoms, pain and suffering, as well as lost work (and play)
    time, can be avoided entirely by simply not inhaling the zinc oxide fumes. This can easily be done using any of the
    methods described later.

To complement proper positioning, a fully effective method to preventing inhaling zinc fumes is to wear a suitable respirator
    (mask). Some of the commercial products which are suitable are:

Masks that are not properly fitted will not be effective in protecting the welder since the zinc oxide can be pulled through any
    openings between the mask and the welder's face. Welders who are given masks or any other kind of personal protection
    equipment have to be trained how to adjust them so that they work correctly. In addition, OSHA regulations (29CFR Part
    1910.134(b) requires that fabricators have a written procedure for use of personal protective equipment such as respirators and
    masks; that the equipment be selected from that approved by the Mine Safety and Health Administration and the National
    Institute for Occupational Safety and Health; that the equipment selection be based on the hazard to which the welder is
    exposed; that only employees who are physically capable of doing the job and know how to use the safety equipment are
    assigined to perform work; that respirators are cleaned and disinfected regularly, stored in a convenient, sanitary location and
    kept in good repair; that the work area be monitored for changes in exposure; that the medical status of employees is
    reviewed regularly; and that the program be reviewed on a regular basis to appraise its effectiveness. OSHA does not
    currently require periodic medical evaluation of employees, but that is under consideration. Disposable masks eliminate
    some of the hassle associated with meeting these OSHA regulations.

9. twochops

twochops

Save the old Black acid in a
    closed jam
    if you have to solder or tin some bare steel
    it will do the job.------TwoChops

10. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Get a piece of vinyl rain gutter, ( the length to hold your EMT), and cover the EMT with the strongest vinegar you can buy........................Works well, if a little slow, check it in a day or two, and swap out the vinegar if it's progress slows or stops.
    And do it outside.

11. Zeke

Zeke

Agreed I've done it and didn't have an issue welding on the metal. But let it sit for a good bit, and rinse rinse rinse

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Why use anything galvanized? What cha up to? LOL. Lippy

13. I was just looking at conduit to make the structure for my tilt front end and thinking of a way to get rid of the galvanizing.

14. I know conduit is cheap but why not buy tubing the same size. If you need to remove the zinc where you want to weld heat it with a torch and brush it off. We generally put a fan close by and blow the fumes away.

15. braze it and dont inhale, it brazes real easy

other choice steel tube and wire feed

JMHO

16. I don't think that all EMT tubing is galvanized, shop around.

Bob

17. gatz

gatz

that's very light tubing to make something requiring structural strength.

by the time you get that coating (partially?) off and figure your time is worth anything, you could buy some steel tubing as suggested above and be further ahead.

18. Weasel

Weasel

Anyone mentioning EMT and hot rod in the same sentence makes me nervous. One of my criteria of a 'Redneck engineered' car includes the use of galvanized tin and tubing....:rolleyes:

19. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

I'm with ya on this one Weasel. Seems the discussion is going in the wrong direction. There should be a fab shop (hot rods, race cars, agricultural, etc.) within a short distance of everywhere to get the proper material for this job. Don't cheat with your safety, use the right stuff. Especially on a cool project like this one.

20. Jim the best and least lethal way to use Conduit [traditional Kustom method of construction BTW]....Is to use a coarse Cup style wire brush on a hi speed angle grinder and just bear down and burn it right off.
    It does a nice job and you should use a good dust mask while doing that.... it works well and is la lot less mess.....

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Better to use a powered respirator that sucks air through a filter and puts it in a mask under pressure so you don't suck fumes around the mask.

22. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

EMT is a lot stronger than you might think. We used to make Go-karts out of it that would run 70-80 MPH and never had any problems.

23. As it is cheap and lightweight and available most all places-It was always used in some early Kustoms as a form of fabricating shaped bodys -panels,wheel well flares etc- back in the day.......It was never intended as all out structural tubeing,we all know that,.....
    Its great for understructure ,for body bracing,fender supports etc-,but used as any sheetmetal/structural member in itself the welds can easily be corrupted by poor removal of that Galv' coat, so be careful in that reguard as well as the health hazard discussed....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  24. Plus EMT has a very thin wall, easy to bend on electrical installation sites. I sure wouldn't use it on a car.

I saw some dipshits years back weld a fuel cell guard on the rear frame of a stock car made from EMT tube.

Bob

25. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

If you aren't in a hurry to remove the zinc, dip it in Diesel fuel. After a couple of months, the zinc/diesel will be a gooey mess and the steel will be clean. No fumes.

26. I know quite a few race cars that use it for tilt front under body bracing. You bond it in with mat and resin so the coating makes sense because it will not rust. I'm not standing the car on it's hood, it just has to hold it in place.

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Jim ain't building a hotrod, he's building a Kustom. I use it a lot to brace stuff, frame out grills, tail lights, etc. Starbird also uses it to frame out his custom bodied bubble top cars. he tried to buy it from the manufacturer, un-galvanized, but they refused.
    Also works well as a quick form to hammer metal over.

28. nali

nali

Many paint don t hold very well on galvanized parts IIRC.
    Use at least epoxy or a good etching primer.

29. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

dragster frame?

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

This is an old thread.....I'm sure Jim was looking for an easy way to frame/support the radical body changes on his "Telstar" project. And conduit is a good way to do this, quick and easy compared to other methods.