Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much is a '62 392 Hemi worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mechanic58, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mechanic58

mechanic58

I have an opportunity to acquire a '62 Imperial with the original 392 still in it. The car and the engine are complete, un-touched and original. No idea at this point what the condition of the engine is, I just know its all there. Don't know if it turns or if it's blown up, etc. Assuming the engine is salvageable, what's it worth?

The car is junk - been sitting in field on its belly for decades. No wheels on it, etc.

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The last year of the 392 hemi was 1958.

3. mechanic58

mechanic58

Hmmm...the car is definitely a '62 model and it definitely has an early Hemi in it. I would assume the car shoulda had a 413 in it then...perhaps someone put this Hemi in it a long time ago.

4. Deuces

Deuces

We gotta have pictures....... Or it never happened..

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

I agree - however I reckon this guy that has this car for sale doesn't know what he's talking about. He tells me the car is a '58-'60 model, however the car in the pictures is clearly a '62 model car - which wouldn't have had a hemi, it woulda been a 413. I'm not going to bother with it any further - be wasting my time. Thanks for the input guys.

6. tedster

tedster

Never happened

7. aaggie

aaggie

Look at the numbers stamped at the front of the block at the edge of the valley pan and verify it is a 392. They only came stock in the 57-59 Imperials.

8. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

1 million dollars since they never made one that year

9. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

If he told him over the Internet then THAT would make it true, wouldn't it?:rolleyes:

BON JOUR!

Attached Files:

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

One glance at the engine will tell you if it is a hemi or 413. If you have a chance to buy a complete, original, untouched 62 Imp for a decent price what are you waiting for?

11. It might be a repowered 1962 ?
    And it might be one of those 392ish331s too

12. moparmonger

moparmonger

Occasionally someone has put a 392 in something that didn't come that way originally. It probably isn't a 392 but sure would be worth finding out for sure.

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

There is a Stock bodied 61 Imperial up here with a 392.. whether or not its original.. it has the Hemi in it.. who cares about the body.. the engine is whats important.. :)

Michael Wrobleski likes this.
  14. Yeah, it'd be a real bummer if it isn't a matching numbers hemi car that your going to scrap anyway? Offer to buy it by the pound (scrap price) and get it done

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i have a buddy who has a cousin that has had a hemi in every car he ever owned, only they were 426 's---even in his factory original big block chevelle---rare special order option i'm sure...

16. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...I'd rather be forced to vomit a coat hanger than have that car on my property. However if I was sure it had a hemi in it, I'd go get it in a heartbeat, promptly remove the hemi and then haul the rest up to the sweet little fat lady at the scalehouse at my local recycler.

The car is a 4-door sedan...and its been sitting on its belly in a pasture with no wheels on it for 25 years. There's no way in hell the car could possibly be any good. I have not personally seen under the hood (yet), however the guy that is advertising it is saying it has an early hemi in it. I called him on the phone and he admitted to me right away that he doesn't know anything about cars or engines - "his mechanic" told him it was a hemi. This same mechanic also told him the car was a '58, '59 or a '60 - but the car is clearly a '62. So - what we have here is a whole committee of people that don't have a clue what they're talking about....I try to steer clear of situations that involve so many idiots. lol

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OK so it is a rotted out 62 Imp with a junk 413 owned by an ignoramus whose mechanic friend is an ignoramus and a liar to boot. Don't waste your time.

18. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

:DAll mopar V8 engines are HEMIs just ask any white trash mullet wearing redneck.

19. TERPU

TERPU

I'd go and look at it, at the very worst it's a 413. That's still a great engine and worht $$ to a guy with the right car and if it has long or Mid Rams on it you have blown an opportunity for sure. At the very best it has a 392 in it. It's a win/win however it turns out. I love buying stuff from people that don't know, stuffs usually pretty cheap even after I have properly ID'd it for the deal. Go look it might even have the finned super rare front brakes on it.

Good Luck,

Tim

20. mechanic58

mechanic58

I MIGHT go look at it tomorrow morning. Just depends on how I feel after I've slept on it. I've never been a mopar guy, however I have always wanted an early Hemi to put in something.

21. Let us know,inquiring minds and all:D

22. mechanic58

mechanic58

I figure I'll get up in the morning - get my trailer all loaded up...then drive an hour up there and find out it has a 2 barrel 318 in it out of a '76 Scamp. That's usually how my luck runs.

23. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is too easy. Early hemi dist. in rear. 413 dist. in front.

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

LOL.We must be related.

25. just missed some nice wide early wheels on an "old Ford pick up" that had sat with shit stacked all around it just down from the shop....they were clearing the property...but I just didn't need another space taken up - dove by a day or two while they were cleaning up...now it's sitting at the illegal "no tell" body shop around the corner....kicking myself the last day or two....

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Some 1959 Imperial limousines were built with leftover 392s. But of course they were long gone by '62.

OP, at least get some pictures for someone that might actually want it. And don't be so quick to crush that Imperial. There are some cool parts on those, like square steering wheels and standalone headlights for a '60s show rod. And they're so tough that they really were banned from demolition derbys.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If it's only an hour away, it's worth a trip. Like you said, if you go it'll be a 318.
    If you DON'T GO it'll be a 392 that you'll read about on the HAMB that someone else scored!

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

The Hemi name didnt come back till I think 1963 and then it was a 413 based motor. The 62s had an option (not on Chryslers) to get the max wedge and I think streat Hemi in 63 or streat wedge it was called. I belive the 64s had the option of getting a 426 Hemi. I might have my facts wrong or off a little.

I think 1963 is the year Petty lapped the field in a Plymouth at Daytona and it had a Hemi in it.

Anything in the early to late 60s being Chrysler didnt have a HEMI in it. Also the motor could be a 361.

A lot of trucks came with the 413 motors so if you see a truck in a yard or for sale look under the hood it just might have the 413.

Chrysler aslo put Hemi's in boats.

If you get the vin you can run it on the net to see what motor came in the car. I have seen more the one seller try to sell a six pack car (V Code) when the car left the factory with a 318 (G Code),

29. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

30. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

still hasn't happened...