Register now to get rid of these ads!

drill bits are there any good ones!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ChefMike

ChefMike

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I just want a good quality drill bit is that to much to ask? I have bought a lot of sets from a number of companies, all sorts of coatings etc.. I have spent in access of 100 dollars on sets and have to say the price doesn’t mean they’re better. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a good set of drill bits???<o:p></o:p>

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

For really good high speed bits I go to our local steel supply house that also carries equipment and tools. But I also like the Dewalt pilot point bits a lot, like Home Depot and Lowes sell. They hold up well and are agressive as hell.

Surprisingly, I have had good luck with the gold ones Harbor Freight sells. For the money they really aren't bad, but I use my Drill Doctor pretty often to keep all of them touched up.

Don

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Lubrication is the key to keeping drill bits cutting well....Lots of guys forget this

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can find the ones that Lawson sells they are some of the best I've used for drilling steel.
    http://catalogs.lawsonproducts.com/...asp?CodeId=7.4.2.13&BookCode=e6p10flx&from=2#
    scroll to cutting tools, then drill bits and take a look at the Regency grade of bits. I've still got most of a set in an index that I bought from them over 20 years ago. They aren't even close to cheap though.

Right now though, my grab and use it bits are in an index that I got at Costco that has Kawasaki drill bits in it. Lots of bits that you use for the 20 bucks that they cost and they work pretty well but only go up to 3/8.

5. Deuces

Deuces

........ That^^^ and also a lower rpm....;)

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'll be honest, I rarely use cutting oil because of the mess it makes and I don't like oil all over something I am going to paint. Even holesawing is something we do dry. I know it chews up bits and holesaws quicker, but I just hate oil all over everything.

Don

7. bobscogin

bobscogin

That's been my experience too. Pretty good quality for the money.

Bob

8. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I buy indiviual cobalt drill bits in only the sizes I use most often at my local hardware/industrial supply. Waste of money buying index sets as far as the home builder is concerned IMO.

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Go to industrial supply houses instead of the typical hardware or home improvement center. Any town with a concentration of metal working industries shpuld have one or several "mill supply" houses that sell name brand drills like Cleveland Twist Drill, Precision Twist Drill, Chicago-Latrobe. Wholesale Tool has a location in Stoughton, MSC is in Springfield, Burlington, and Worcester.

And, of course, the advice as to cutting oil and proper speed is still highly relevant. You can ruin the best drill in the world if you don't treat it right.

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

I have a set from Home Depot of Dewalt and they have been the best so far. Like Don I have more than one set although I don't have a good sharpener. How about posting yours Don, I'd like to get one.

11. 63bigbird

63bigbird

X2 on cobalt bits. Keep them lubricated and use them for steel only.

12. robber

robber

Yep... The biggest enemies of drill bits are friction and heat. These are amplified by running to fast (speed) or pushing to hard (feed). When drilling into metal, cutting oil is an important part of reducing heat and friction. I feel that if you buy cheap, you get cheap. Cheap bits tend to be softer and become dull quickly. Because I know a technique for sharpening them on a bench grinder, I can keep touching them up. My preference is to spend a little more on high speed bits (HSS). There are many brands. Look for bits that say "Cobalt" or "Titanium". They are made for higher use, production runs and will drill the hardest of metals all day long. When going longer distances, look into using "peck drill" techniques, to clear the chips and to reduce heat and friction. What ever you decide... cutting oil and technique will keep you going a long time;)

13. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i had the same problem, so now i just buy up old ones at auctions when i see them, no companies seem to have pride in what the throw out the door anymore to the public

14. I have also had the best luck with the Dewalt Bullet Point drill bits. I started buying them 10 or more years ago when B&D came out with them.

15. I'm still using my 20yr old set of Snap On bits, fractions,letter,and numbers. I have destroyed a few but over all very little trouble with them.

Lee

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

dont bother going to lowes home depot ect. to buy drill bits they carry JUNK!!!

buy from a industrial supply house +

I used to sell these never had a complaint!!!

http://www.championcuttingtool.com/

the brute platinum line will drill through any metal you throw at it

17. SKF Dormer.

Must use correct rpm.
    Coolant helps.
    Resharpen when necessary.

18. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I have owned a machine shop for 27 years and I find it is hard to beat a Cleveland Twist or Chicago Latrobe drill bit. I don't wast money on the coated ones because as soon as you sharpen it the coating is gone. I use high speed steel unless I am drilling stainless or a exotic alloy, then I use the cobalt. I use a water base coolant in a pump squirt bottle.
    The speed and feed mean everything in the world to drill life. JC

19. ChefMike

ChefMike

thanks for the suggestions!

20. ChefMike

ChefMike

I will check it out

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I use Drillco Nitro bits that I keep well-oiled when drilling through everything.

Got' em at a local supply house. They're the best I've ever owned.

22. I'm in the machined parts business too. Agree that you're best off with the name brands, which I get from MSC mainly.

I like the TiN coated ones on steels, anything under 3/16" I consider a throwaway and factor a certain number of them into any I job quote. Cobalts are always good too. Unless I'm doing deep holes, I get the shorter screw machine drills if they're available.

For hand-drilling operations on cars, I'm a bit less fussy about them as they take a beating. Anything in a HSS will do.

Bob

23. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I agree on the cobalt screw machine length drills i usually use tapping fluid applied with a flux brush. Speed kills.

John 46 years in the machining business.

24. A Rodder

A Rodder

Also, depending on the diameter of the hole, piloting the hole with a smaller bit will extend the life of the more expensive larger bits.

I drill half inch holes very regularly installing receiver and fifth wheel hitches in the frames of trucks.
    I pilot them with a 7/32 or 1/4 inch bit then step to 1/2 inch.

I use pb blaster for a lube, works pretty good.

25. cobalt 135 degree the tool places like MSC sell them and wholesale tool, buy on sale and put in a Houot drill cabinett with room for spares

may as well get a set of # bits at the same time, slow speed is the key, a air drill will smoke or break a bit quick

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I use plain old steel bits, I just grind and sharpen them properly and they work just fine. Unibits are another story. I've just can't seem to find good ones.

27. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I second the NITRO brand drill bits.
    Usually you can get a set for less than $100.
    Mine are from K's surplus bolt store.

They are the best.
    I've got 2 sets,
    one brand new,
    the other one used but basically new,
    and a bunch of extras in the popular sizes I thought would wear out.

The extras have held up so well,
    I've rarely used my (first) set,
    and never use my backup set.
    And this is about 2 years now of moderate to heavy use in steel, aluminum and stainless.
    I do know how to sharpen them with a bench grinder,
    and it is amazing how sharp the tip stays even with my hack skill.

http://www.drillcocuttingtools.com/..._listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=286

I do like oil and low RPM's and also not too much pressure.

TP

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ive gone threw an aweful lot of bits finding ones I like. I love Irwin split tip black carbide<- black something?

Cost more but way stronger and seem to keep an edge better. Hated the black and decker dewalt stuff.

29. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I have a drill doctor and it never works for me? What mod do you have? John