Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting TBI 350 sbc to carburator. What parts interchange?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

First off I know there is another thread started on this exact subject, but his is a 454, so I'm not quite sure it applys.

Got a screaming deal on a crate engine TBI replacement for a '94 Chevy. As some of you know, I blew my early '60 sbc last spring. I had contemplated putting a nailhead in the Nash, but after experiencing problems getting a suitable tranny, I came across another sbc. The nailhead will have to wait for my next project!

So I'm wanting to convert the TBI to carb and I have some questions on what parts I can take off my old sbc for re-use.

1) I'm assuming that I can't use my C4B intake. Will I have to get an aftermarket intake specific to this engine? I plan on using my Edelbrock 1406.
    2) Is my 350 turbo a straight bolt in? Torque converter and all?
    3) Will my stock starter work with the new engine?
    4) I'm assuming that the distributor is specific to the computer. Can I use an old style distributor (vacuum advance) with a coil?
    5) The alternator has several hook-ups. How can I convert to my 3 wire from the previous setup? I want to use the brackets that are currently on the engine.
    6) Will my ram horn exhaust work?
    7) Can I lose the EGR without any complications?
    8) Looks like oil line exiting and returning from oil pan. I'm assuming it was going through a cooler. Is this necessary?

Any info would help. I basically want to swap this engine with using as many leftover parts from the original sbc as possible....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. TBI or TPI ?

Different animals.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Someone just posted this yesterday.... My response was, the cam profiles between nat aspiration and FI are different as well. Although unless your going for hi performance probably not a worry. It will cause some loss of power.

I have a GM crate engine, and am using a performer rpm intake. I have power brakes, so I wanted a dual plane for vacuum reasons.

Basically just start getting rid of shit, 1 thing you must think about is fuel psi. Your gonna only need 7 psi, but injection is more.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Throttle Body Injection (TBI). I don't think you can convert TPI to carb....

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I stated that I already knew that but I thought this was a different circumstance plus I have specific questions that are different.

7. wedgehead

wedgehead
    from texas

Can be done. The intake center bolts are at a different angle then the older engine. I have taken a drill to an aluminum intake to change the angle. then it will just bolt on. The 94 block might not have the fuel pump boss machined. Some do some don't. If not only solution to that is electric pump. All other parts will bolt right up. I have used many of these engines with carbs.

8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

So I'm wanting to convert the TBI to carb and I have some questions on what parts I can take off my old sbc for re-use.

4) I'm assuming that the distributor is specific to the computer. Can I use an old style distributor (vacuum advance) with a coil?

We offer a built oem distributor ready to run with contact points, cap and rotor for $100 ( hamb deal)...

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

There is a block off plate so I should be ok there.

10. Depending which heads you have (they should be just barely pre-Vortec) you are dealing with an Lo5 small block. Edelbrock makes an aluminum intake to fit the newer swirl port heads that has a standard spread bore carb mounting on it. Can't seem to find much on Google at the moment, but, I have 3 of them in the shop, I'll get the part number when I go out there. The swirl port heads flow well, and still get pretty great fuel mileage. Yes this can all be done pretty easily. You need that intake, a carb, and a 78-85 ish HEI distributor if you want the simpler HEI. I think you may have a few tricks running the th350 starter and the modern flex plate. I can't recall the teeth counts, but, that should be your biggest issue.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  11. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I've got the old flywheel so that shouldn't be a problem. It looks like they should interchange.

12. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stevie

1) No, you can't use the C4B intake. The center bolts will not line up. You'll need an intake like a "Power-Plus." OK on using my Edelbrock 1406.
    2) Yes, the 350 turbo and convertor are a straight bolt in.
    3) Stock starter should work with the new engine. The flexplates/flywheels are NOT the same though.
    4) Yes on old style distributor, points or HEI
    5) I'm not too familiar on the serpentine bracketry. It should be do-able.
    6) Yes, you can use the ram horn exhaust.
    7) You'll lose the intake so the EGR isn't even an option.
    8) Cooler is an accessory. (2) 5/16" bolts remove it. A spin on adaptor is available and will mount in its place.

Are you going to be at Hawkeye Downs this weekend? We can talk more then if you want. I'll have a vendor space. PM me for contact information. Good luck. - VERN

13. TBI was Throttle Body injection, a crude electric carb.

No problem swapping on a real carb.

14. The Edelbrock Performer intake #2104 has the center bolt style that everyone is talking about. I know there are other manifolds out there that do the same job. The Edelbrock is just cheap and easy to find. This generation of head had a different angle on the inner intake bolts. So, the bolts nearest cylinders 3-5 4-6 are nearly straight up and down while the outter bolts point outward towards the exhaust more.

I checked the rear crank flange and yes, the older flywheels will bolt on to the LO5s I have laying around, so, you can use your old flywheel. That combined with your old starter will get you where you need to go.

Pretty much everything has been covered. I personally would run a cooler though, that's part of what made these motors last so long.

Good luck

15. davidh73750

davidh73750

I have a friend who using one and an old 2bbl gc cast iron intake. He used a dremil on intake holes, driven 2 yrs and gets really good mpg

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Yes I will be!