Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Coupe Body-Chassis swap advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Sep 25, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looking for advice from a --- Been There Done That --- guy. If you had to replace a STONE STOCK 1940 Ford chassis with a good rust free chassis How would remove the body and front clip/fenders. Looking to save time/labor on a customers car. Thanks. Bob :)

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most guy would unbolt them first.
    I'd think that the front end assembly could be unbolted and lifted off as a unit by two or three guys fairly easily with the tires off the car so you don't have to fight your way around them.

3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When we did BigEarl's coupe, we took the front clip off, unbolted the body and raised it up, propping it inthe air with timbers running underneath. We rolled the old chassis out and rolled the replacement chassis back under. It took a long Saturday afternoon, with time enough left for burgers and beer. four guys, with two or three active at any time. Inside a home garage, used an engine hoist to lift the rear of the body.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505397

4. Working alone or mostly alone I use a hoist to lift the body tub after it is unbolted. On a '40 ford the front clip can be removed as a unit as Mr48 suggested, I usually get everything unbolted, remove the tires as he mentioned and get the wife to help me lift it.

To lift the body throw a strap through the front doors with the windows down.

Oh yea, it is easier to roll the chassis out from under the body if the engine, and tranny is removed. Remove the radiator prior to removing the front clip as well.

5. hkestes

hkestes

I removed the body of a 48 Plymouth Business Coupe by myself with winch style camper jacks. Removed the front sheetmetal first then just put a camper jack like this one under each rocker and lifted the body. Had to let it down a time or two until I found the balance point but from there it was a piece of cake. Just crank one side up a bit then the other, back and forth until it is the height you want.

If you will be putting a new frame under it immediately no issues. On mine I had the body off for a couple of weeks so I used some lumber to build cross braces / legs under the firewall and trunk pan for added support and left it on the jacks until I was ready to put the frame back under it.

Attached Files:

6. mj40's

mj40's

I have done it this way many times and if careful no scratches.

7. Did mine recently.

Unbolted the body, raised body temporarily, rolled out frame, put body on dolly. 15 minutes from start to finish....with a few Beers....piece of cake.

Murph

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! The '40 in question is a running, functioning automobile, that was most likely stored in a building with a dirt floor and the chassis just rusted away. We haven't seen the "good" chassis yet. So I guess the hood, comes off, front clip, steering column, then the body with the rear fenders attached. We have a four leg lift, so this should go well. Bob

9. FlatheadFanFromMI

FlatheadFanFromMI

dont foget all the little things; fuel fill tube, bumper braces, etc.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You drink beer with a piece of cake??? :)

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Protect the cowl so as not to scratch it with the lower part of the fenders when removing the front end as a unit.

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

Sure. Beer goes with anything.

13. Hmmm....I mean't it was a piece of cake.......Beer does go with many things though....LOL

14. fordor41

fordor41

Also can't remove the steering column without removing the steering gear, speedo cable, E-brake, wiring, brake/clutch pedal pads, bumpers/mounts, floor shifter/tower

15. Make sure we get to see pics!