Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrapbook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Required reading. A terrific book. Very nice companion to Jalopy Journal #2. Between the two, I've had many hours of enjoyable reading the past couple weeks. We must be in the Golden Age of hot rod book publication.

3. I really need that book! I look forward to seeing the chapter with my friend Ken Crawford's amazing drag strip colour photos from the 1950s.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  4. My wife ordered this for me for Christmas last December. I got it on the same day that I got your Jalopy Journal book. Needless to say, your shipping was a little faster Ryan!;):)

5. I got mine a week ago...said it would be shipped "around Christmas" last year. Was wotrh the wait but it's definetely a coffee table book....don't try to sit in a chair and hold it very long...it's HEAVY!
    Great reading.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm so stoked it got here on Monday!! I haven't had a chance to dive in but from what I flipped through you'd be stupid not to buy it!! Viva La TRJ!

7. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I knew this book would be good, but I'm even more impressed than I thought I would be. The pictures are absolutely outstanding, and the stories that go with them will provide much enjoyment for me. TRJ has hit this one out of the park.

8. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Picked a copy up at Columbus this past weekend at the TRJ booth. I've been going through it every night since. It will wear your arms out holding it!
    I was suprised how many of the guys still owned their cars or knew where they were. I know it would have taken away from the mood of the book, but I'd like to see pictures of how some of the cars look now.
    I'd especially would like to know what happen to the chopped full fendered T coupe on the Custom City lot.
    Regardless, excellent book and worth every penny.

9. weez

weez

Well, that worked- I just bought one!

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

One word of caution in opening the packaging on this baby- I cracked the tape seal open with the back of a key and didn't realize the book was directly below the tape- No extra protection or packing. I ended up putting a deep crease in the dust jacket...

Amazing book, and I am diggin' it so far as well. Ironically, I saw Steve Coonan last night, and complemented him on the Scrapbook and it's hefty number of pages. He said it was just too hard to cut stuff out, so he added 24 more pages beyond the max that was planned!

11. Still waiting on mine, if you have your one Jay, mine hopefully won't be too far behind!

12. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

I feel very lucky that Steve (Geoff and Curt and everyone at TRJ) included pictures from my dad's scrapbook in this project. It turned out great!!!!

Attached Files:

13. Elrod

Elrod

I got mine also! What a great book!! My wife also ordered mine back in November. Well worth the 8 month wait.

Did you guys who were supposed to get yours at Christmas get a numbered one? Mine is not one of the numbered ones.

14. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Well worth the $$. I love mine!!!

15. Mystery solved....Its been delivered to the Wife's work...and she's home on medical leave!

I'll have it tomorrow!

16. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Wow! Thanks for all of the great feedback about the Scrapbook. It is definitely a project that we are proud of, and we are so glad you all are enjoying it!

I just wanted to address a couple of things that I've noticed there may be questions about. First, the signed and numbered copies did sell out rather quickly and were officially sold out as of 11/14/11. Second, for those that did receive a signed and numbered copy, the signature and number are located on the first blank, left-hand page in silver ink.

If you have any questions about your Scrapbook order, or would like a copy for yourself, please feel free to give us a call. 800-750-9550 or 650-246-8920

Thanks again!

Chasity
    TRJ

17. blue57ford

blue57ford

I can't wait for mine. I just ordered it a couple of nights ago. That and a Rodders Journal onesie for my little boy.

18. HOLY CRAP.............pardon my french, but it's amazing....

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

The book is worth the money.

20. Curt Six

Curt Six

Like Chasity already said, we really appreciate all of the positive feedback. And thanks, Ryan, for the cool review. We're glad to hear everyone likes what they see.

The contributors definitely deserve a nod on this thing, too, and there are at least a handful of them on the HAMB. John Gunsaulis (Jade Idol) already chimed in above. His Dad was responsible for some really bitchin' cars and equally cool photos. Dick Page, Tom Davison, and Ken Crawford are all also on the HAMB. All killer stuff...I really love this shot of Tony Nancy's roadster from Ken's chapter.

Thanks again for the kind words.
    Curt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  21. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I received mine as a Christmas present. I think I annoyed the ladies at TRJ calling and sending e-mails but it was well worth the wait. I got it last week and am still trying to find time to look through the whole thing.

Very well put together and worth the wait.

22. Thats exactly what I did...I even hassled em at the Lone Star Roundup when we were there in April!

23. zlayer9

zlayer9

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> First critical review:
    Honestly, this book isn&#8217;t all that it was made out to be during the last year or so of extended hype. I&#8217;m an old-school rodder and Rodder's Journal subscriber since its inception, so I&#8217;m very familiar with car magazines, old photos, and the Rodder's Journal magazine itself. Yes, &#8220;Scrapbook&#8221; is a big book with lots of old photos. Of course, most of these shots were done on &#8220;low-tech&#8221; cameras. That&#8217;s fine. They were also meant to be viewed at what was (in the 1940s-1970s) a standard print-size of roughly the dimensions of a postcard-size or smaller. When you take one of these photos and blow it up so large that it covers two pages of this book, it really, really looks bad. Yeah, it&#8217;s bigger. Big deal! But there are no details, just grain and washed out color. The smaller photos look so much better. Many of the photos are blown up so large, they just look blurry and horrible. It really gives the impression that the editors were just trying to use up their page count, and thought that would be an easy way to do it.

Some of the other photos are things like the Beatnik Bandit and Ray Fahrner&#8217;s Eclipse show truck at inside car shows. Just the same as we have seen in many, many old magazines, or in other books, internet sites, etc. Yeah, it&#8217;s always nice to see those things, but in an expensive book like this, I&#8217;d rather see photos the likes of which I couldn&#8217;t see anywhere else.

Granted, there are a few really standout photos in this collection, but the Rodder's Journal kept on and on about how they were so swamped with great material that it made putting together this book quite a chore. After seeing some of the photos that made the cut, it makes me wonder what they kept out. A lot of these photos are mediocre, at best.

Now, keep in mind here that I&#8217;m really only interested in Hot Rods and Customs. I don&#8217;t give a lick about drag racing, Bonneville, dry lakes racing, etc. If you don&#8217;t like any of those things either, think again before buying this book , because there is lots and lots of coverage of all three of those subjects included. I&#8217;m not saying they shouldn&#8217;t be included at all, as the Rodder's Journal has included coverage of the drags, lakes, and Bonneville since it started. I&#8217;m simply saying that if you don&#8217;t care for any of those subjects, that the book's coverage of street and show hot rods and customs may not be enough to justify this purchase.

There is talk of another volume of &#8220;Scrapbook" at some point. I won&#8217;t buy the next one unless I can look at it before hand somewhere. Another thing that I think would be better for a sequel would be to but the hot rods and customs in one volume, and the Bonneville, drags, and lakes photos in another volume. That way more space could be devoted to each specific genre.

On a final note, the custom car photos in this volume are particularly bad. As I said earlier, There are a few great shots of indoor car shows in Ohio, and some others taken in the L.A. area in the early 1950s, as well as some other things. However, by and large custom cars are ignored in this book. I&#8217;d estimate that probably 1/5<sup>th</sup> or 1/6<sup>th</sup> of this book is devoted to customs. Not really surprising, really, but if all you care about are custom cars, you would be better spending your money elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  24. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Hi Zlayer9,

We're sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the Scrapbook. We can understand that if you have no interest in drag racing, Bonneville, dry lakes racing, etc then this may not be the book for you. As is the case with all TRJ merchandise, we do offer a full money back guarantee. We will cheerfully refund your money if you would like to return the book. We do appreciate your long time support of The Rodder's Journal. Feel free to give our customer service staff a call at 800-750-9550 to expedite that process.

Chasity
    TRJ

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't get it... You like hot rods, but you don't like drag racing or lakes coverage? Dude... THAT IS HOT RODDING!

That being said, I'm not attacking you for your opinion. We all have them and they are welcomed here. I just completely disagree with your assessment of the book. I just can't find a valid argument against the value presented here. Fifty bones for almost 500 pages of coverage... And, in my opinion, the coverage/photography/reading is phenomenal.

Disclaimer: Coonan is a friend of mine and I have a good working relationship with everyone at TRJ. That started because I have a really high regard for the work they do and have done. This might make me biased, but I really don't think so in this case.

26. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine came in the mail today. It was all I thought it would and then some more. Thank you Steve for putting this together.
    This should be required reading for membership to the HAMB

27. Fordy Frd

Fordy Frd

Mine arrived in the mail today! I ordered it at Pleasanton last summer- all I can say is it was worth the wait! Have just leaved through it so far but it looks great.

28. Jive-Bomber Jay -

I guess your shipping carton didn't include this letter?:

TRJ Scrapbook Thank You letter.jpg
    ... and I concur, simply an amazing book! ... Kudos to Curt Iseli and the TRJ staff!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  29. Mine didn't have that either...maybe it's a new thing since Jay mentioned it?

30. autobilly

autobilly

I orderd mine nearly two months ago. I'm really looking forward to getting it!