Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tade: 1956 Ford for a 1940 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 12, 2012.

?
  1. 1940 Mercury

85 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. 1956 Ford

101 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. Well, I just don't know what to do. I thought I could come up with a decision on my own but I'm going to have to leave it to the HAMB. When I originally got into the "scene" I was more so into hot rods than kustoms. But after working for a kustom shop and hanging out with mostly kustom guys I can now say I am WAY more into kustoms than hot rods. There is a particular style of kustoms that really floats my boat though and that's Westergaurd style kustoms. I like 'em old. Sure I like 50's cars but I like '40's a lot more.

When time came to get my own pre-'64 car I didn't have much cash. I also didn't have cash for two cars so I needed something running and driving. so that's when I stumbled upon my 1956 Ford four door.

It was my first old car and I have had lots of fun with it. It was my graduation present and my mom and I bought it in Saskatchewan (Canada) then drove it down to San Jose, CA. together where I would start my apprenticeship with Alex Gambino.

My first big roadtrip was in this car and I have had so much fun with the family and friends over the years. I pretty much learned how to weld on this thing.

Since I have owned it I did the following...

-Shaved door handles and locks
    -Shaved emblems
    -6.70 Firestone Tires
    -Lowered the fuck out of it with air shocks
    -and other little shit here and there

This is also the first car I cruised in and I have had lots of fun cruisin' in it with my girl friend and friends.

This car just seems part of my life. I have taken it to shows from California to New York. This thing gets me everywhere.

It is still the only car I own and it is my daily driver.

It is super super relaible (knock on wood) with the factory 272 Y-Block backed by a T-5 transmission.

Now here is where things get fuzzy...

I'm browsing the H.A.M.B. classifieds one day and stumble upon one of my dream cars. A rad 1940 Merc that was a kustom from back in the day. It has the o.g. laquer paint, Pontiac taillights, ribbed bumpers, lowered back and a 1946 8BA flathead.

Problem is I need a car to get around and this is a bit of a project it needs the following...

-Fuel tan cleaned out and fuel lines
    -Exhaust done
    -Re-wire the whole car (current owner says he will buy me a new harness)

Also I am a poor college student living in Toronot, On. and this car is located in Kansas, so pretty much all my money will be gone from transporting these cars around the continent.

I am stuck.

Do I keep the car that I love and have always loved with many memories?

Or do I trade to get a car I used to dream about all the time?

Here is my 1956 Ford...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the '40...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't like to waste people's time so I would like to give this guy an answer. I am just not 100% sure I could ever let my '56 go:(

Thanks!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The 40's cooler.

3. I want my vote back! I rushed to judgement and didn't see the extra set of doors on the '56! I was WRONG!!!!! Centurion9

4. I suppose I forgot to mention I DON'T CARE IF A CAR HAS TWO DOORS OR FOUR. A kustom is a kustom regardless of the amount of doors. I have studied many badass four door kustoms in the little pages. My four door sure is cool when I can pile a bunch of people in and go cruisin' downtown.

5. Because of your financial predicament, I would say stay with what you have if its your only transportation. If you can buy an old cheap Honda to get around in then go for the Merc. You will find more 56 Fords in the future than you do 40 Mercs.

6. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

go with the 40 merc man

7. I have a little cash saved up but it would all go towards doing the trade. There would be no more room for a Honda. Then I would be out of a car for a while because of the work this thing needs.

How rare are '40 Mercs? Could I just keep my '56 Ford and finish college get a decent job and buy one sometime down the line? Or are they pretty hard to come by? Will I be missing my chance if I don't pounce on this one? Thanks!

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Find a way to get both.

9. That is impossible I don't even have close to half what the guy is asking for the Merc.

10. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

That's the first Tudor '40 Merc I've ever seen! I think they're rare.
    Ed

11. The tudor sedan mercury's are really rare. They are the second least produced 39-40 Mercury body style. The most rare being the 4 door convertible. By the way those bumpers are actually 49 plymouth.
    Matt

12. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

The Merc is cooler.

14. birdman42

birdman42

I think at this point i would keep the more door and find something when you have the money to build what you want. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face

15. The merc lookks like it has been someone's cruiser at some point. They have let it go to hell but it has been someone's crusier at some point.

I don't know much about the flatty under the hood but I see you get a big inch Y block so I am thinking that an engine is not an issue and you can get an adapter and bolt it right up to the merc tranny.

The old paint will clean up enough to cruise it and you are getting a harness. Maybe if the fella is supplying a harness you can figure out a way to get it to KC and we can put the harness in it and make it road worthy enough to make the drive back home. I know I have certainly made bigger trips equally insane if not more.

One other thing while I am thinking about it. Wash your blue jeans so they will shrink enough to fit ya. That way you won't have to go around with them roooled up like a little kid on the farm. :D

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

X2 for me. most all of us have found "if only" deals, then reality sets in. at the right time and the right place the right deal will come along later.

17. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

I'm gonna buck the trend a bit here; trade your daily driver (only car?) for a project car? If you don't have a backup driver trading off your daily (which is cool, BTW) for a project (which is also cool) doesn't seem to me to be a brilliant move. What are you gonna drive while you're sorting the project out? You already said you don't have a lot of cash, what if the Merc needs more than the seller says? Now you'll have less cash and still have a car you can't drive.

My vote? Keep the Ford; pick up a project later when you can do it without crippling yourself. My 2 cents.

18. I Love the Merc but You already have a good lookin driver in the 56 Ford, since You're a starving College kid, You'd probably spend all Your savings gettin the Merc on the road and quite a bundle gettin it to where it looks as good as Your Ford, not tomention Your time. It's waaay tempting but I'd stick with the 56 ! Did I mention I Love 40 Mercs? !

19. Motor is not mine, trying to sell for a friend. That wuld be awesome if you would help out like that. Also My normal jeans were all dirty that day:(

That is what I was thinking. I mean I could finish school, get a decent job and have a project and still keep my '56.

I hear ya man! Thanks for the advice!

20. When I was little, hell up until the later '60s anyway, levis were shrink to fit. You bought them about 3"-4" too long and about 2"-3" to big around. The you rolled 'em until they got washed, sometimes it took a couple of washings to get them to shrink all the way. And sometimes they didn't shrink all the way, it was not an exact science.

I used to hate to roll my jeans, it was also a sign of the jeans being handy downs; not a problem for me I only had a big sister. :D

I'd help you with it, hell why wouldn't I? You haven't done me wrong yet.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

15,506 1940 Mercury Tudor Sedans, Model09A-70 were produced.
    37,178 1940 Mercury Fordor Sedans, Model 09A-73 were produced
    170,695 1956 Ford Customline 4 door sedans were produced.

Keep your 56. From the looks of that 40 Merc, it's going to take a boatload of money to bring the Merc to the same condition as your 56 Ford. 40 Merc parts are not that easy to find. After you finish college, you will still be able find the Merc you want now.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  22. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I say keep the '56, it goes with your outfit better. As for the Merc, wait until you can find a coupe, they make much better customs.

23. dtracy

dtracy

Until I saw that merc with the heads and pan off, now way.

24. LaurieB

LaurieB

Stick with the Ford man... it's you.

Pick up another toy when the time is right and you can keep both. Personally, the proportions on the Mercury look a little off with the high roof line and the rear windows being about the same size as the front windows. Odd for a 2 door.

Keep the Ford :)

25. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

The Merc is cooler, but the 56 is yours... It's your first old car No matter how many doors it has or how much less rare it is.. You will miss it. The Merc will never be able to replace your first old car. I don't like 4 door anythings but If I were in your shoes I would trade for the merc only to regret it latter on ....

26. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

and reality will set in...

27. cakes

cakes

go with the merc, I hate 4 doors, always have. while your'e at it, give him the jacket when you give him the car

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Don't put yourself into financial struggle while you're in college. That being said, if you really wanted it, you'd find a way. You asking here and having doubt is enough for me to say stick with the more-door.

That Merc could be a really handsome car, though.

29. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

The Merc looks like a money pit. Although cool, keep your 56!

30. ALL CAPS imply defense.....you asked for opinions....you're getting them. Old or young, broke or rich, I'd rather not have a 4 Door anything. That's your choice to make. Remember though, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"....You make your choice and live with it. Chances are you'll own many cars in your lifetime....There's nothing like your first car, but mine was a minty '55 Mercury Monterey 2 Door hardtop......I still miss it. Had it been a Moredoor, I wouldn't care...................Centurion9