Register now to get rid of these ads!

new 54 ford project with ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cannibal, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Cannibal

Cannibal

Here is the new project pretty clean.

Plans are crate 302 and an AOD and a 9 inch.
    And really good A/C .
    It will be the family grocery getter.

If anybody has any knowledge of what works best to update the front suspension and add disc brakes.
    And what model and year 9 inch fits best.

Hope fully I can attach a few pics.

I havent posted in a while

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=25219i2X9E&i=161166

[/img]http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=25219i2X9E&i=161166

Attached Files:

2. Squablow

Squablow

Fatman Fab. made drop spindles for these and I imagine there is a bolt on disc brake kit availible for it as well. The front suspension on these is pretty well set up from stock so a complete front end swap isn't necessary.

As for the 9" that fits the best, I run a '70 Mustang rear from a Mach 1 in my '53. It's an inch or so wider than the stock rear end but still works fine with the original 15" steel wheels and a decent size tire. Good luck with the project and be sure to post progress pics as you go.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Is that a wagon? Now I REALLY like it!

4. Cannibal

Cannibal

thanks squablow

5. You might want to just use the original rear, the wagons and Mercurys rear was more heavy duty than the ones they put in ordinary cars.

6. Cannibal

Cannibal

Mike dont you have a 54 ford, any extra parts?
    The car has a lot of miles and I dont know what shape the rear is in.

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I was told to run a 60's Bronco 9" since it a bit narrower. Lowering the car 2" or more with blocks on the stock, or a wider width rear axle makes getting the rear tires out a nightmare. Whitewalls would be scuffed and ugly trying to get them in & out of the wheelwells. Atleast thats the case with my '54. 3" blocks and stock rear, stock 15" steelies and 215/70/15 radials. I pray I never have a flat on the side of the road.

For the front end...Dropped spindles & a disc brake setup would be choice, but honestly the old front drums don't stop too bad for a daily driver.

8. at

i know what you mean dude i gotta deflate the tires on my 53 and jack the body way up

pain in the balls

-dan

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Hell, I gotta deflate the tire and pry it out of the wheel well... re installing consists of a deflated tire with a jack under it to wedge it back into place without stabbing the wheel studs into the tire, haha. a REAL pain in the balls.

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

I believe a 57 9inch is a tad bit-( less than half and inch) narrower. I'd use the stock one, unless you plan on beating the thing. My friend has had 4 or 5 53's. All with stock rears, and they held up to the abuse. and I mean ABUSE. he has a pretty radical 289 in one of them in high school. As for changing a tire on the side of the road. I agree, it would suck if its real low. But the profile it has makes it worth it. haha But I won't be changing the tire either...

11. Cannibal

Cannibal

Ive got the tire problem with my 49 (big 15")

The car is original y block with overdrive. (not running)
    I assume the rear gears are around 4.10.
    I dont know how it would run with an automatic.
    I`m running an overdrive rear in my 49 with a flathead and a toploader 4spd.and its barely hiway drivable ( fun around town).

Any body used Jamcos dropped spindle, disc brake and/or dual master cylinder booster setup??

Anybody know if the rear springs are different on a wagon compared to a sedan?

Attached Files:

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Drop n Stop makes a front disc conversion kit for the '54 fords.
    Drop n Stop '54 ford disc brake kits

comes complete with the reworked granada spindles which drop the nose by 2" or so, and with a 1/2" lower spring bucket job, you could get another 2" of drop on the nose.

for the rest of the usual "needs to be replaced" list, Gearheads Cruiser Products sells SBF motor mounts, power steering kits, and rear suspension kits to install a cougar/t-bird IFS/disc rear end in the '54 as well.

Gearheads Cruiser Products

as far as the rest of the frame and suspension, LOTS of differences between the vicky-sedan-hard top and the courier/wagon/sedan delivery. more body to frame mount points, bigger rear axle (stronger) stiffer springs...

Good luck, '54s are schweet... altho im biased :cool:

13. Cannibal

Cannibal

FIDDY FOUR thanks for all the links.

PS
    Please fix my 1954ford.com registration

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Sentcha email and i'll PM ya too

15. desertdroog

desertdroog

I used the Drop n Stop disc conversion, I dig it, though I am thinking about cutting a coil out as my ass end is lower than my front end with 3 inch rear blocks. As for the Gearheads Motor mounts, I used those as well in my 351W application, note that if you do not run a low profile water pump (Ford Motorsport carries them and I am not sure how much shorter it is as I used a stock one), you will have radiator and mechanical fan clearence issues. The motor mounts are a nice vulcanized solid mount, and with the front sump Bronco pan, 351W anyways, everything fits well...except for the radiator to fan clearence. I put an electric fan with a shroud and the car idles at about 195 in the desert with a new radiator.

I still have no miles on it so I hope it comes down. If you do go with a C4 or C6 transmission, ignore their tranny kit. You can make one and save the dough, because all it consists of is a flat steel plate (24 inches) with a cross bar and more vulcanized rubber. Some time with old tires and stock steel and you would have one for much less. As for exhaust clearence, with the stock cast iron early style exhaust manifolds, I have about 1/8 inch to 1/16 inch clearence on my steering box. I think mainly because of the taller deck height in the 351, but also, with the above mentioned engine mount kit, I still had to shim the mounts so that it fit correctly, which raised it even more.

I cannot imagine the 302 being any better for clearences, unless you fabbed your own. If someone here can offer up some good shots of their Windsor engine in the bay of the 54, you should be able to get a better idea. Right now, my digital cam is not working, so all I have are +1 year old shots of my setup.

I am also attempting to put on their sway bar kit. I think I got one of the first ones or whomever made it was drunk. All the parts are backwards so I have been cutting here and welding there to make it fit. Still not too happy with it, but we will see if it is worth it on the road.

16. Cannibal

Cannibal

THANKS DOG
    If any body has any pics of Windsor engines in a 54 please post.
    Has anyone used an AOD in a 54?

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A 8 inch from a maverick will bolt in,its a little narrower then the original and wider rims can be used or a granada 8 inch is about the same width as the original. Since you plan on a 302 a 9 inch might not be needed,I put a maverick rear in my 55 sunliner and I have a 351-W. Jeff

18. sweet wagon.......I think its the first I have seen of that year.

Keep us posted.

19. Cannibal

Cannibal

From alll i've heard the 4 drs are pretty rare especially the 9 pass.

I`m leaning toward a 250 hp 351 and an AOD .
    I`ll probably leave the stock rear for know and see how it works.

I would really like to put power steering and keep the turning radius...

Keep up the great info guys.

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i have heard of guys with a bit of ambition and plenty of time putting mid-late 60's ford truck power steering gears on these,,, but with a windsor motor and the mods needed to stuff a power gear in that thing its going to be tight tight tight

21. desertdroog

desertdroog

I would definitely think about changing up from the stock rear to an 8, 8.8, or 9 inch. One reason is that the stock rear may not hold up to the increased power that a 351 will put out. Plus, the rear gearing severely limits you with regards to choices. That may not be a biggie, since you are looking for an AOD. My 2 cents.

22. chopndrop

chopndrop

here is a pic. someone sent me of a small block in a 55 or 56, I think 54 would be the same as far as engine conversions. They used a stock Ford mount, I believe for a ford truck, but dont remember for sure. They just opened up the top slot on the stock crossmember mount and it slid right in.

[​IMG]

23. chopndrop

chopndrop

heres the tranny mount he made.

[​IMG]

24. Cannibal

Cannibal

That seems simple enough.
    Anybody know what 8.8 rears are close in width.
    Weve got a pick and pull that gets 49.99 for a car rear axle assembly.

Did the 88 Lincolns already use discs?

25. cuppy65

cuppy65

Hey chopndrop I can't view the pix of the motor mounts on the 54 ford. I'm trying to get a 351 and c6 in my 54 mercury and I can't seem to see how it can work and yet I've been told it will fit!. I've tried ford van,78 vintage , motor mounts and truck, mid 1970's , motor mounts and they don't put the motor where it has to be. It has a front oil sump pan that hits the lower cross member unless the motor is so far forward that you can' t put the radiator in! I read some where a bronco pan is what I need.Also the exhaust on the left is very close to the steering box. The van mounts seem to work on a 55 ford as a friend of mine has one and I thought the frame was the same in the mercury. If any one can help me out that would be great because I'm at a loss. Also I think a c4 would be better because it is smaller but I just have the c6 and the c4's are getting hard to find. I know where there is a c4 in a 76 maverick , but it is a 6 cylinder and I thing I would need a bell and fly wheel . The 6 cylinder is a 250.

26. Call Jamco for your front spindle/ disc conversion. I got one for my 54 mainline and its good.

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i put a 302 c6 9" in my 53..made the motor /tranny mounts,as for the 9' i wanted a little more tire under mine so i narrowed a 9'' and used explorer disc.had the maverick 8''

29. smarg

smarg

Looks like a good project.