Register now to get rid of these ads!

Styling at Ford Motor Company 1957

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 24, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I'd love to have the seats on page 12. To quote the Cable guy "There's no end to the possibilities"

3. S.F.

S.F.

I always thought the 57 Fords looked better than 57 chevys

4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

The artist's rendering of the future cars and beach house are amusing. They talk about what people will be driving in the years 2000-2050. Guess what-no flying cars. Just Kias and Prius', or is that Pria?

5. Verminator

Verminator

I love the Futura/Batmobile steering wheel speedo gauge setup

6. ....I think across the model line Ford actually outsold Chevy in '57. Maybe someone can elaborate or correct me, but I had an uncle who worked on the L.A. assembly line from the 50's into the 70's and he used to like to rub that fact in. I guess because the '57 Chevy has acquired such iconic status we tend to forget just how much success Ford had in 1957.:)

7. mustangsix

mustangsix

Have you ever noticed how in the 50's and 60's the vision of the future was bright and optimistic. Now it's all zombies, death, and apocalyptic destruction.:eek:

8. KCsledz

KCsledz

Love Syd Mead futurism!

9. I've seen some of those images individually elswhere but it's neat to see them all together. As said before the Fords for '57 don't get the credit they're due, the Chevy wasn't the only one out there. You could get 300+ Supercharged HP right off the show room floor.

10. gyronaut

gyronaut

Those futuristic illustrations were the work of Thunderbird designer Jim Powers. He had won the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild and then attended Art Center with the scholorship. Jim is included as part of the Gyronaut documentary, re-telling his stories of how much trouble the Advanced Studio could cause with their antics. A short bio can be found at: http://www.powersportcars.com/designer/.

His Craftsman's Guild model and award are perfectly preserved and hold a place of honor in his home, as that's what started off his career in styling and adverising. No doubt, you already know his non-Ford work. He designed the packaging for Revell's 1/4 scale "Visible V8" model...

[​IMG]

11. belair

belair

Another quality post, J-B. Your stuff is always worth the time. Thanks. Love the futuristic stuff. The Ford designs, not so much.

12. I agree with the above post, the 57 FORD has it hands down over the 57 Chevy, or anything else in 57, and Im a PONTIAC Guy!!!

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The only thing missing from the photos was the wafe of smoke from a cigerette!

14. Here's a huge heads up for those of you who may have missed this movie. "Womans World" (1954) takes place in the Automobile Industry and is filmed all over and around the Ford Motor Styling Department. Ford Dream cars galore and an amazing look into the Ford Motor Company circa 1954- Check it out. You won't be disappointed....Centurion9

15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Growing up in the 50's I had always heard that Ford was an "Old Fogy" company. Even most of the dealerships were that way my old man said and he was an old fogy of sorts. Personally I'm very prejudice towards 57 Fords.

16. S.F.

S.F.

Virgil Exner and the foreward look was pretty good too. I'd have to say the 57 Plymouth has the Ford beat on styling

17. that girl in the interior pic is wondering "how many more of these guys do i hafta "do'" before this pink fabric and thread will be used like they promised....."

18. S.F.

S.F.

yeah, they ruined that piece of art when they hacked it into that freeking bat mobile. Hate that thing.....and what it did to the average non car person when they see any 50's car "hey thats like the batmobile"......no sir its a 1958 so and so, it looks nothing like the batmobile

19. gyronaut

gyronaut

New stylists at Ford in the '50's were indoctrinated through Alex Tremulis' Advanced Styling studio. Upon "graduation", when they were assigned to various other departments, many of them received their diploma in the hopes that they would never let mediocrity stifel their creativity. Here's Bob Pitchford's diploma, c. 1957...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I’ve always felt post-Shoebox, pre-Mustang (‘52-‘64) Ford styling and products were way underrated. Just gorgeous stuff, right down to the little details.

I want a ‘54 Ford or Mercury so bad...

21. jimbob

jimbob

The wagon in image 23 looks very Buick inspired.

22. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'll take the jet boat!

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

I was a firefighter in L.A. in 1955 and a co-workers dad was the Ford Racing guru at the Pico Rivera Special Product Division. They were serious and spent a lot of time and money on performance Y Block versions of the 272, 292, 312 and the 340. All were great competitors on the Drag Race tracks and with NASCAR. In my opinion if a good savy engine person got their hands on the Paxton Super Charged 312 they could turn it into a monster with just a few changes. Arkus Zora Duntov made the Chevy's run. A team of serious engineers and racers made the Ford engine be very competitive. I saw may a '56 and "57 Ford or Mercury bring home repeated First Place Trophies in my part of southern California. I still respect the Ford engineering. Chrysler taught everyone a lesson too in those days. Those cars when they first came out stole the show.
    Normbc9

25. autobilly

autobilly

Cool contribution 4t64rd.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The future isn't what it used to be.

27. Model T1

Model T1

At least in the midwest, many people who bought new Chevys every few years and had a 57 ordered cancelled and waited till the 58's came out or bought some other brand. Many thought a 57 Chevy was ugly.
    Compared to the 55-56's they were.
    I had a few 57's and loved them later. Of course the 57 Chevy is now one of the most loved and easily recognized cars of even non-car people.