Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 Dodge Bros. 5w Coupe values

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blmoore, Apr 2, 2012.

1. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Sorry for no Introduction post but I am under time constraints. I dont have any projects as we speak thats partly why I haven't introduced myself. I'm in my early fourties I have been mostly into muscle cars since my first car in high school was a 71 challenger. I hate to say it but I never really looked at traditional hot rods untill my son got interested in cars. He likes 20-30 traditional hot rods and after that I really took the time to look at them and my taste has changed(better late than never). So here is my question. I have the chance to purchase a 29 Dodge Bros. 5w coupe and I'm not sure what its worth. It has a clear title and a very solid body with a small amount of rust on the bottum of the drivers door and passenger side quarter. It has the original frame and all complete except for the rear deck lid. The car is in pieces and a S-10 rear axle has been installed with 50 chevy truck axle and speedway disc brake kit up front but does come with the original parts. It includes a 70 chevy 250 six cylinder as well. I can't post any pictures so I know it is probably difficult but any input will help. Thanks

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

With all of the parts, but missing the deck lid and having a clear title. The value could be anywhere for $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 That is what I usually look to pay.

3. noboD

noboD

A '29 Dodge Brothers coupe could be a DA, Victory, or Senior. Do you know which one it is?

4. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

It's A DA. I'm in the midwest if that makes a difference, I dont see many 20-30's for sale here.

5. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Go for it...that storage right behind the seat makes for a great beer box..(The cops never did find our beer or fire crackers back when)

From the back, they look like a over grown 32 Ford. Love the 29 Buick with a later year straight 8 in it.

Good luck with it.

HellRaiser

6. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

That is nice looking. One thing that concerns me is the rumble seat/trunk lid if I could find one it probably is very expensive. I thought about making one if I can find something to work off of.

7. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Push come to shove....without a deck lid at first,,, make one of those home made truck boxes to put in the trunk area. No, it's not all that crazy of an idea. Many of those old coupes, Fords, Chevy's Buicks, any of them, sometimes the trunk lid got removed and a short box put back there.....Just don't butcher it so that you couldn't put a trunk or rumble lid on it, when you do find one.

HellRaiser

8. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Thats a good idea. To be honest I thought $2,000 to $3,000 was a fair price but that must be a little high. He is asking $6000 which I new was way over priced so I don't know if he is really wanting to sell it.

9. noboD

noboD

I think Ghost pegged it on price, unless it's very good maybe a little more. I also agree with Hellraiser, don't let the missing decklid keep you from buying it. I have an original '29 DA sedan. Just saw your post. $6000 would buy you a complete running car.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

They arent that hard to make really, mopars were wood framed so it's really just an outer skin with some stamping lines at the top and bottom.....

And yea 6k is pretty steep,

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I paid $1800 for my avatar car in 1978. It's a '27 DB

12. flamed34

flamed34

Actually, the Dodge Brothers cars weren't wood framed - they were well known and promoted the "All Steel" concept.

I sold a solid, but needing to be completely done, '28 4 door sedan a year or two ago. No running gear, no interior, original wood wheels with no tires, no glass, good title - for $3K. Pics are in my albums for comparison.

13. Choff

Choff

These cars have a lot of room and can look just as nice as FORDS!
    In 2010 bought this 29 DA Coupe for $900 with out title and orig. drivers door and no running gear and grill shell. First I Channeled car 3" and recently chopped it 3" working on drivers door,(had 2 pass door for car)
    having to change swing of door and new metal,
    Lots of metal in the dodge cars, worthy of making a nice coupe.
    Sounds like a lot of work has been done to the car you are looking at.
    6,000 sounds like a lot.
    Choff

Attached Files:

14. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Thanks for all the input! I was able to post some pictures of the body and frame and maybe able upload some more. I still think were to far apart on the price but if he keeps the engine and wheels/tires he wants $5000. He said he has the original gas tank and corvair steering box plus some other small things.

Attached Files:

15. Beau

Beau

Let him keep the wheels and tires! Make sure he takes his full investment out of the price too.

I like the car a lot. Not worth $5000 though. I'd say the $1200-1500 depending on what comes with it. LOTS of metal in the Midwest. Look around, Iowa is FULL of cars!

16. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

I wish my body was in that shape....my DB was pretty rough when I got it

[​IMG]

17. A couple grand tops and YOU gotta really want it for that price.

All you have there is a body that may be much worse under that paint and a frame. The running gear adds no value other than scrap.

18. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Man I'm so confused, I know this thing is way over priced but I've looked for about a year and found nothing but total junk for a grand or something thats priced like this so I thought I was just a cheap A**. As far as cars in Iowa I have to disagree and thats why I posted this because was wondering if there is a lack of them so thats why there priced so high?

19. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

More pictures

Attached Files:

20. Beau

Beau

I search for Model A and Model T stuff and it's ALWAYS in Northern Iowa. You are looking in the wrong places.

$5000 should get you a driver.

Use www.searchtempest.com

It will search Craigslist all around you. Also, don't be afraid to put want ads on here and The Ford Barn. You will be amazed at what's close to you.

What are you looking for?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  21. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmm...Let me be the bad guy here....So you want a ride, and maybe have some coins burning a hole in your britches. You want something NOW.....But trust me, it will not fail...you've got some coins and nothing to buy....You find something you really would like to have, but you already spent those coins....

WAIT....There'll be another bus along in 15 minutes, if you miss this one....

5 big beans!!!!! too much for that one..

HellRaiser

22. Beau

Beau

23. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Thanks guys for all the good info. Eventually I'll find something. I want a Dodge, Plymouth, Chevy or Olds really. I was driving doing a little back road searching lastnight and did find two 1948 REO Speedwagon trucks. Not the coupe I want but gave me some hope that there might be some out there to find!

24. dodgekew

dodgekew

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][​IMG]These pictures are out of order of my '29 Victory but, it may help :)