Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA Dragster For The Coast Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old28, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Dick put a 300 Ford with a C4, that should be 11.50 - 12.00 second car with out a lot of high dollar parts.

I just got off the phone with a Salt Flat Racer that lives hear in Bakersfield and he is going to build a GMC 302 SDRA car to run with us, then slip a body on it and run at the flats. Sure would be fun to have 3-4 SDRA cars at an ANRA meet.

I do agree with (old6) that ether type car (HA/GR & SDRA) is good for the class.

I ordered a new rear yoke for the 8.8 rear end. When I get It and the finish length for the driveshaft I will give you a call.

2. 34PEECUP

34PEECUP

Getting started on the new bville car an think it will work to run with you guys. Posting photo of the ol bonneville car

Attached Files:

3. Agrafagr

Agrafagr
    BANNED
    from Argentina

I take buy priligy pill and it works as expected but after sexual intercourse I sometimes feel muscle pain in the back and fatigue. I do not know if this is because I work like a stud or it is a side effect. Anyway I am lucky that I gave it a try. celebrex

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. Old28

Old28

34PEECUP -- Ron, That was one nice flats coupe.;)

Be sure to start a build thread when you start the new car and include lots of pictures. This might be the first combination SDRA / SALT FLAT car.:) Stop by when you have a chance.

5. ThingyM

ThingyM

Since I already have a couple of C-4s,, I went and got me a torque converter from a 2300 pinto. Will have Art Carr check it out for me..Now I'm looking for a new motor. Also might install an 8" Ford rearend... Edit::: A guy just gave me a Jr.Dragster chute.. Are they legal to have on your car in the SDRA.?? I think it would be a nice safety feature.. If not, Thats OK too...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

The guys in Tulsa have a loonngg shut down area so we haven't had a need for a chute.
    We don't want to add anything that will catch the eye of NHRA.

7. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Dick are you going to put in a 300 Ford?:D:D I would love seeing one running in ANRA. I got the rest of the chassis painted and started work on the battery box, shut off switch and rear tail light. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

CrkInsp -- I know what you mean about NHRA in general. I will say that our local tech crew at Famosa Raceway in Bakersfield is a better than average group and have worked well with these new cars. Others may not feel the same, but I have been racing there sence 1970 and I have no complants.;)

8. Hi Dick,

Something like this?
    Yes it's real! :D

Skip Pipes

Attached Files:

9. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom... YEP...
    Skip... YEP... I just thought it would be nice, If you just happen to get sideways, Pull it... Also, I'm thinking about building an up dated chassis...

10. bobw

bobw

Tom, cool that your neighbor is building a dual purpose machine.

Thingy, Glad to see you are thinking about getting back in the game.:) Building a chassis is one of the most fun parts of the deal. Might bend up another one myself...
    You want to be going fast enough that the chute doesn't just fall on the ground.:eek:

11. ThingyM

ThingyM

Bob.. I pulled the "Comp" chute on my Fiat at just under 100mph, And it blossomed.. So I figure a Jr chute should open just fine. My present chassis is a little flexi for the motor that I want to run, So I figure I'll put one together that is a tad better. I can build one in about 5 days..Also want to go to a stronger rearend..But will use alot of the pieces from my present car..

12. Old28

Old28

bobw -- Bob, another SDRA car right here in town. If it looks anything like his flats coupe, it will be a nice piece. A dual purpose SDRA car and then stick the body & tires on for the salt. Maybe we can get it to run ANRA race with the body.:)

ThingyM -- Dick, You putting a new chassis together and getting back out here with a SDRA ride is the best news I have heard in a while. It sure would be great to see 3 or 4 SDRA cars and 3 - 5 HA/GR cars at the ANRA races next year.;)

PS: I feel like the guy at a gun fight with the pee shooter with a 300 Ford and a 302 GMC out there, I want a 330' head start. My poor little 194 ain't going to know what to do with the big dogs all around.:eek:

13. Old28

Old28

Well got a little more work done this weekend. Chassis painting is done, Steering support in place, Brake system in place, Finished fitting floor plates and mounted battery Box.

This week plumb the brakes, install my electric cut off switch/ Volt meter/ tail light to battery box.

Attached Files:

14. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Old28, It looks like you are very close to a "First Burnout". Try to get someone to take a picture of the smoke coming off those tires. Then let me know about it, and I will add it to the Burnout List. It has been a while sence one has been added. It looks great!!!

15. Old28

Old28

Joe Hamby -- The car is coming along, but there are a 101 things that I still need to do. At this point in my rehabilitation I am just glad to have it to work on, it's good for the mind. I will take pictures when the "Burnout" day is here.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Video! :cool:

17. bobw

bobw

Tom, everthing I see in the pics looks first class. Have you selected a color for the body panels?

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Dick, I have a 300 CI ford you can have. Don't know the history was told it had a knock, late model with EFI.

19. Old28

Old28

bobw --Bob the main color will be a purple like the grape juice. My first FM rail was a modified roadster with a 23 T body on a 160" dragster chassis, and it was painted grape juice color and stated a series of 4 cars named the "Juice Bucket I" , "Juice Bucket II" was a 185" FM injected SBC, "Juice Bucket III - "good to the last drop" was my 28 roadster altered with BBC injected on alcohol. This all started when I found out that I could not use "Welch's Grape Juice" like I wanted to because of trade mark issues, it seemed only natural as it is my last name.;)

The new SDRA car will have same color as my first modified roadster and the name "Juice Bucket IV" - "the bottom of the barrel" as this will be more than likely the last dragster I will build ( I will just keep modifying this one until I can't do it any more).:D

Toymaker -- Rocky, I will be talking to Dick tomorrow and make sure he reads this, I might even run up and get it for him and deliver it when we do my driveshaft. You know where any deal/deals are on a Chevy 292 L6?

20. ThingyM

ThingyM

Rocky,, I'll talk to ya a little later about the 300. Is it legal to narrow a 9" to the 52" specs. I already have a 9" lying around doing nothing. Thought I might use it instead of buying something else

21. Old28

Old28

Dick, I don't see a problem on a SDRA car as long as it meets the 52" tread. I don't think there are any decent stock housings that will get you down to 52". It will be a stock rear end that has been narrowed, not a fabricated rear end. Big look and dollar difference.

What about it Tulsa guys?:confused:

I'll run you, just get to building!;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  22. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

It's a lot easier and cheaper to just use wheels from a front wheel drive car.

23. Old28

Old28

CrkInsp -- I still do not think a 9" with those front wheels would bring it down to 52" tread, I may be wrong. What rims are you using for a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern that are 6" wide?:confused:

With the shop and machinery that "ThingyM" has it should only take a few hours and cost almost nothing.:D

Narrowing like they did it in the 30's/40's/50's to make it work.;)

24. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Old 28, that tread width is measured to the centers of both tires, and is a minumum only, you can have them as much wider as you wish.

25. Old28

Old28

Joe Hamby -- Joe, I understand the measurement but as an example my Ford Mustang 8.8 rear I have mounted is 58 1/2" outside drum to outside drum. I just don't think putting FWD rims on will make my setup that much narrower than it is now (57" center/center on the tires). I want to step up to a Ford 9" during the year and want to narrow it so the end results is 52" tire center when done.;)

My question was is this within the rules? It is not a fabricated rear, only a narrowed one.:confused:

Again can anyone tell me what FWD rim they would use on a Ford 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern to get close to the 52" number?:confused:

26. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Old28 - SDRA rule #10 - Chassis. "Stock width rear ends preferred."
    With that said, if you want to narrow it, go for it. Just keep in mind the 52" Tread.
    Keep us up todate on your progress.

27. Old28

Old28

CrkInsp -- I think the key word is preferred and just keep it to 52" C/C tire rule. I've got an old 9" from a 52 Ford pickup that I would like to install down the road with the 292 motor.

Until then I will use my Ford 8.8 rear end with my mighty 194. A lot to be said for those "Little Dudes". ;)

Can't seem to get an answer on what FWD rims will work with a normal Ford 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Is it a "Trade Secret"!:rolleyes:

28. Old28

Old28

Well I got a few more things done the last couple of days. Most of the work was on Battery Box, Electric cut off switch, Volt meter, Required tail light. Today I completed plumbing the brake system and got them working.

Started work on the dash unit, hope to have it done tonight.

Attached Files:

29. Old28

Old28

Well I got the dash cut out and notched for the steering quick connect. Switches, water temp & oil pressure gages mounted.

Today was the first time that I was able to get in the car and see how hard it is with the new front roll cage bar. I will say that with the dash, cowl cover and the new bars it was a little harder than before. Ain't that easy to get these old bones working again.:)

I will say that it sure felt good after 4 months recovery (still have a ways to go)just to sit in the car again. I feel good sitting in seat, the new front cage bar is a solid 3" from my helmet face front. I am a little tight in the leg/foot area and will have to redo the brake peddle and move it forward. I will be cutting another 1 1/2" off the dash bottom for a little more clearance.:D

Was able to get my measurements for the driveshaft and my shifter mount today, so I can start working on that stuff next week.

Attached Files:

• 396.JPG
      396.JPG
      File size:
      116.5 KB
      Views:
    • 397.JPG
      397.JPG
      File size:
      116 KB
      Views:
    • 398.JPG
      398.JPG
      File size:
      120.3 KB
      Views:
  30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I didn't hear a "vroom, vroom" from you, give the Governor a "vroom, vroom" ...... right now.
    You better watch your ass, Mister. :mad:

With apologies to Mel Brooks. :rolleyes:

That's looking great, Sir. You'll be "vroom, vroom"in' for real, pretty soon, by the looks of it. :cool: