Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many have set themselfs on FIRE !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ChefMike

ChefMike

Working on my truck have my angle grinder out and I'm cutting some steel sparks are flying have on my coveralls and there old with some threads hanging off ...well at first I thought I was smelling someone BBQ only to look down and just left of my boys<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape> was a good size flame which I put out and continued on! I mean wouldn’t we all well the wife didn’t find it as funny as I did <v:shape style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" id=_x0000_i1026 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape> when she seen the big burnt hole... After a little bit she did laugh and said I was a hand full! So anyone else have a story?<o:p></o:p>

2. deto

deto

i lit myself on fire the first day of welding school. no joke.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets just say frayed coverall cuffs and cutting torches can cause some extra excitement and leave it at that. Sure that I have the bottom third of a 55 gal plastic barrel for a dog water dish though.

4. ChefMike

ChefMike

Nice cant wait to show my wife Im far cry from the only one !

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I did in the last thread on the same subject.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I doubt there is anyone at all on the HAMB who hasn't set himself on fire. Just a natural part of the old car environment...

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Does leaning over a new battery adjusting the carb while your buddy turns the engine over and the battery explodes in your face count?

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

There are plenty of check book hotrodders. I myself, have been on fire plenty.

9. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Flannel and sweat shirts catch fire real quick when grinding..:)

10. Yes i'm sure we all have. When I do it usually goes like this, thinking to my self "Whats burning?" look down think calmly to self "oh I'm on fire" then it clicks and out loud"OH SHIT IM ON FIRE" then pad myself out and keep working. Hell last weekend I did it twice in 5 minutes. I guess I should have let my coat cool off longer. It reignited rather quickly

11. ChefMike

ChefMike

Dude that sucks dont tell my wife that can happen

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

When building a demolition derby car, make sure you weld the door shut after you are done welding in the roll bar.

Makes it a lot easier to get out after the bench seat catches on fire

13. Yep. What Bruce said.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

...plus there is flameless cookery! You pick up that part that was glowing red 30 seconds ago...you discover that the spots you are seeing are actually grinder slag permanently embedded in your brand new glasses...you realize that the smell of burning bacon is actually your hand that is holding the chisel you are sharpening on the grinding wheel...

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A 4" grinder can also alight frayed places in the middle of a sweatshirt...from a small hole to a dandy large hole...thot I could smell something burning...!!!

R-

16. 48ford

48ford

How do you think I got my cutoff shorts?
    Russ

17. williebill

williebill

Often
    Regularly

It would take less time to tell you about the times I didn't set myself on fire.

18. chigger

chigger

just catch your pants on fire in the crotch and smack yourself putting it out.... you'll only do that on once!!!!

19. Harris

Harris

Set my shirt on fire while grinding, Without my knowledge, neither saw and called fire dept. - guys show up and die Laughing wondering if I'm gonna show up to relieve them in the morning.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you haven't set yourself on fire you aren't a hot rodder.

Eventually you learn to wear leather boots and cotton clothes. Plastic and polyester goes up like gasoline.

And if you are doing heavy duty grinding and welding wear proper safety gear.

Incidentally cotton overalls can be fireproofed by dipping in borax solution and letting dry. Not exactly Kevlar but better than nothing.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lit my crotch up pretty good one time grinding one thing or another... luckily I had on a nice pair of Carhart overalls on and didn't burn my junk. Carharts over jeans... if it was just my jeans things would have been very different.

another time I was cutting up some 53 Chevy remains with a torch and my neighbor came over and started talking to me. I thought I turned off the gas but there was a little flame coming out still and I lit my pants up around my knee. not too bad though.

why a person would come up and start talking to a guy working with a cutting torch is beyond me. he was a boat mechanic and was around tools and stuff all the time.. should have known better.

22. Brog

Brog

The other day I was overhead welding with what I thought was my "tough" dickies jacket then in the corner of my helmet I see an orange light reflecting, when I get done with my bead I see that the cloth hood that was attached to it was on fire!

23. Had my shirt burned clear off of me in the '70s. 45% 2nd and 3rd degree, they said I would not see the sun come up. Fooled 'em.

Have set my clothing on fire more than once either welding or grinding.

Set my hair on fire a couple of weeks ago. See:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673544

Pretty damned funny actually.

24. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Does that come with some kind of guarantee? Because I want my money back...

25. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

not recently but in high school welding class in @ 1977 with frayed jean cuffs (ya I was stylin!) burned about 2" off the bottom. just like you I thought there was a BBQ going on till I lifted my helmet and looked for the source:eek:!!!!!teacher saw me hopping around trying to put them out and everyone had a good laugh.

26. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Several times ... while cutting down a pair of coil springs with a cutoff wheel, I learned to pay attention to the direction the sparks are flowing. Cost a pair of near-new jeans but no trip to the emergency room.

Years ago, while surviving Minnesota winters, I learned the wisdom of not leaning over the engine when using starting fluid (ether) when your buddy hits the starter. It takes about 6+ weeks for eyebrows and lashes to grow back.

27. Gator

Gator

More than once...

28. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

Welding slag deposited in my t-shirt pocket - I was leaning so the pocket was hanging away from me. I didn't feel the heat, and really didn't notice until the smoke near blinded me. Of course I was on a ladder and was all gymnastically positioned so I couldn't make any sudden moves - yet I was able to get the damn shirt off before anything more than minor burns...

29. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Gloves mostly, a few holes in sweaters.........The worst is, getting the welding slag in the boot....Funny how you can manage to move your foot away from it in those tight boots