Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project 38: A Murderous Beginning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good to see the progress, Ryan! ..And I love the blown Y-block engine choice! What trans are you planning on? 4-speed?

Malcolm

3. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Blown Y-Block:eek:.....can't wait to see the pic.

Looking forward to the updates.

4. Well in the vernacular of my real ill spent youth, Faaaaar out maaaan. Give the bitch her wings and let her fly.

I love ya my young friend, you are doing a good thing. :cool:

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!!! I'm really excited to see this thing go together and I'm really excited about the direction you've chosen. Lots of this is fresh in my mind from building my '35 and just last night I pulled the pedals out to throw some fresh grade 8 bolts in instead of the mis marked ones I had. Interested to see how that y block fits in there with it being a little longer. Was the firewall reworked for the last engine?

I want to know what the hell is going on with the wheels. I have an idea in my head but that might just be me projecting things like Doane Spencers influence on you. What would have run???

I think 4-71's on top of engines like 265 chevy's, 292/312 y block or flatheads are some of the sexiest engines on the earth. I especially like when they're not polished but instead just in the natural cast state much like the VC's you're looking for info on. That all screams "go" to me!!!

Congrats and give 'em hell!!!

6. hotdamn

hotdamn

kudos to you for having not known better, learning better and actually doing something about it.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... 4-Speed... I've always driven this car really hard... and the 4-speed seems to take it all in stride. We are gonna freshen it up a bit and then adapt it to the y-block.

Firewall. That's a question I can't answer yet... as we just aren't quite sure on this one. Yet.

Wheels. Something special. More later.

The 471. I desperately need a 4-deuce top for the 471. I know Weiand made one... and possibly Cragar. I'm on the hunt something fierce... So if any of you hear anything about one, please let me know before I result to another murder. Our tech editor, Paul, has one and his life is in jeopardy if I can't find another.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Josh (TUDOR) here on the hamb had one with 4 97's all set up on it. It was a Weiand I believe and I was gonna buy it at one time. I think he said he was going to put it on an FED but check with him and twist his arm. Tell him they are for Mamby Pambys and he should run something else.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here was the one he had I think...
    [​IMG]

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've tried. He's not selling... He's #2 on my kill list if I can't get to Paul. If you guys can't find me one, you will have blood on your hands.

Will give top dollar... OR trade for some sbc valve covers that are so rare, no one knows shit about them! Rare opportunity for sure!

11. Sounds like you'll be able to take up "runnin' shine". :)

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just sent Josh a PM saying I would trade him my 6x2 Hemi Intake with carbs and linkage and perhaps throw in a 331 Chrysler for that 4-71 with 97's on top. Then maybe we can work out some trading between you and I since I've got some work for you to do! :D

Let's see if he bites....

13. hell yea!!! i am stoked !!

14. sololobo

sololobo

This is uber cool, out damn M.two and other mod junk. The y-block is a hip move especially with the huffer. I had a 38 tu-door in high school and it is still my fave front end look, cool grill and hood sides. This is very exciting! Go man Go! ~sololobo~

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

blown yblock....Im sold

16. This is awesome. I understand the sentimentality that one could have with a car, especially if it's your first car. Cars can be living, breathing organisms; extensions of ourselves that sometimes need to grow with us. We appreciate the survivors and we appreciate the pioneers. Can't wait to see more.

17. Willy301

Willy301

Very cool Ryan, as they say, you have to break eggs to make an omelette. I think the car is in good hands and waiting to see it complete again!

18. I'd heard some rumblings that you were building a bad Y-block...only rumors up until now as to what it was for...

Bad ass

19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

The best part of the story is that you had a Sonic close enough to your shop to get a slushy delivered before it melted!:D:rolleyes:

20. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Kinda funny Ryan, I'm sure you felt the same way last time you built your car...

21. IT'S JUST ALUUUUMMMIUMMMM,Why not just have one made?
    I kno ,I kno errr umm bla bla -Traditional......

22. Federico

Federico
    from California

All good. Not sure I think of Ed Roth as a silly player though. Cheers FH.

23. Not to mention, after one date the two of them got married!

24. eddie1

eddie1

Ryan, I am truly excited about this build... or rebuild. I love the blown Y-block. Can't wait for updates!

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I hooked him up with the foundry that I use and they made him a 6x2 blower top, I think for a 671:confused:.

Ryan,
    I know that you know this,but I'll say it anyway! You are so lucky to have Keith as a "Brother". He is gonna do that 38 right,(not that it was all that wrong).

Gotta say "Why Notta a Y-Block in most of these builds?"
    I've had one all my life in my 55 Bird. I recall being 11 years old and staring at that engine with it dress up kit, thinking "What a cool car!"

Most people shelve these engines, as a result of bad maintenance or valve train trouble-oil delivery issues. We have never had any of that happen in all of the years that we have owned the 55=(Since day one).

If I could have found a decent donor, I'd a put one in our latest build,but had what I had in stock and put that in.

I see this as being another Home Run for the both of you!

26. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Wow... I always liked the way this car sat before... this is gonna be awesome.

-W

27. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I remember a car like yours, in a grudge race at MOKAN, with a Mercedes. It was a hot summer day and I think the coupe had traction issues. Good thing that there were few people there to see it.

I am looking forward to seeing the newest version.

John

28. Elrod

Elrod

Man am I glad to see the direction this car is going in!! I don't want to sound too harsh, because your car always looked great, but it also always seemed like a modern street rod with vintage looking clothes. While the modern creature comforts are nice, owning an old car is almost like time travel. If you aren't doing it the way it was done back in the day, then you only have one foot in teleportation door. I think you will be so much more in connection with that bygone era that we eat, breathe and dream about with round 2 of your creation. Congrats brother. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops!

29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Same exact thing for me. I remember being a young lad and seeing my first y-block in a red 55 t-bird and thinking it was such a cool looking engine...those valve covers sold me...been interested in them ever since.