Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Record Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. I dig the lead shot.

It looks like one of one of the Bay Area Roadsters meets the LA Roadsters meets in Fresno.

I have tried to find that motel... but the scenery has changed a lot over the years.

It would be fun to recreate that run again...

Jay?

Anyone?

Sam

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have a few up stairs that are not easily accessible but here's one of the internet...

[​IMG]

On a similar note, Andy (THUNDERBIRDESQ) had a band called The Tell Tale Signs and they're pretty damn incredible. They're not at all a hokey hot rod band but just good old Rock & Roll in the best sense. They have one song that is inspired by hot rods call MY MACHINE and it's got some really cool sound clips in it. Check them out....

http://www.myspace.com/thetelltalesigns/music/songs?filter=featured

4. Da Flash

Da Flash

Yo ! I have that record right here in my office, and it is signed on the back by none other
    than Tom Medley.

Da Flash

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Love hot rod LP covers,

I have a couple albums but no photos of them at the moment.

6. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I grabbed these picutres from google, but I have these hanging on my wall now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

couple others I have at home...
    [​IMG]

this one isn't vintage, but cool none the less...
    [​IMG]

besides having a couple from the original post, I also have one with the Ala-kart on the cover, but I can't find a google picture of it.

8. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd like to do the same, and Fresno would be great! (it's just 60 miles from here)

Sam: the 'Roadster Roundup' was held in Santa Maria.

10. S.F.

S.F.

that hot rod rally is a good record. I like the song where he is talking about that full house chrysler mill and a big chrome tac

11. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I bought this one just for the record cover, I think it's a Christian rock band. I never opened the CD.
    [​IMG]

12. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I know I had those Beach Boy albums. Spent my youth w/cars & R&R. My parents knew I was gonna be big trouble & I didnt disappoint them.

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sometime in the early 60s, my older sister joined the Columbia House record club. Younger punk kid brother (me) was allowed one selection of the dozen or so initial free club offerings. I chose Jan & Dean's Drag City lp. Had a cool pic of Tony Nancy's 22jr dragster on the back if I recall.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

Not a "hot rod" band, but I love 'em.

[​IMG]

15. autobilly

autobilly

This one is extra cool because this wasn't the "fashion" of the times.
    The title track Built For Speed is also killer!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  16. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

I scored a Marty Robins Devil Women LP this weekend for 3 bucks. Has a '34 roundy rounder on it, purple with yellow wheels. Sorry, no pic

17. I really dig this cover shot. The guy that got me into Hot Rodding was part of this informal shoot. His name was Tom Plevin and he was my neighbor and a second dAd to me. Thats his orange roadster in the background, on the right hand side. He was a member of the Bay Area Roadster Club. The story was that they were heading down to L.A. and stopped off at a motel, and the rest is history. He was a great guy and I owe alot of my interest in Hot Rods to him. We lost him a few years ago and every time I see this cover it brings back alot of memories.

18. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I've "borrowed" some layouts for Mad Fab CD's just cause there graphics were so cool..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

This is one i'm doing now.. Its a Barris tribute CD with a bunch of great bands doing Barris theamd songs.. Its produced by Bob Shae with Halmark Guitars and were doing our own Barris version that has a bunch of photos in a booklet.. it will be out soon...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The REAL beauty of those covers is that ALL of the cars were finished! Not one rat rod.If you want to see what traditional rods look like,look no further.Oh yeah,I didn't notice one tatoo.

21. does anyone have a picture of the record label that had the multi-color 56 chevy lowrider on it? i think it was a capital label my uncle has a few records with the label on them ive been going through stacks of 45's in antique malls ,swapm meets tryin to find one havent had any luck ive allways wanted to paint a model like the car on the label

22. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Wait a min!!!.....Are you trying to tell us that hot rods from the 50's were not all flat black with white walls???........Is this another one of those photo shop gags??.....Next you will be trying to say that hot rods were not bare metal or rusted either......LOL

23. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

24. Muttley

Muttley

Royalshifter knows, he told me the name/location of the place once but I cant remember. I'm sure he will chime in sometime tonight.

25. Muttley

Muttley

26. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

not 50s/60s but still a neat cover

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

The King of Exotica....

28. autobilly