Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Chevy Straight axle / steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Branded, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Branded

Branded

Hi all, name is Dave from Indiana.

Ive got a 56 Chevy that already has a Speedway axle installed. Everything is ready pretty much except the steering box is missing. It has the stock frame rails. I plan to use origonal 56 steering box, what pitman arm do you all recomend. I ended up taking over someone elses project. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. stretch5873

stretch5873

Hi Dave, I have a 55 Chevy with a straight axle from a Chevy truck. The car has the stock framerails also, I used the stock 55 steering box with the steering arm off the truck to the driver side spindle. I then had a custom 38 inch tierod made at Speedway Motors to connect the driver side spindle to the passenger side. I hope this helps, good luck with your project. Jason

3. Branded

Branded

Thanks Jason, but this thing is already set up for cross steering. I do have the origonal steering box in hand but not the pitman arm. That where my issue lies. I've spent about 7 hours today searching this site but haven't really found my answer.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

X2, that is how it is done. You will get way to much bump steer if you try using draglink with two tie rods.

5. oj

oj

I think they used a vega box for the crosssteer - i recall the shaft sticking straight down twards the ground and the pitman arm would run parallel to the ground. I also recall the one i looked at would have horrific bump steer if it was ever driven, it was somebodies project car.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. Branded

Branded

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then just take the opposed steering arm from what was shown on link I sent and moint it to point back on right side of the car. One drag link from steering box to upper mounted stock 56 car steering arm. And one tie rod from truck steering arms below left and right. Done. If the drag link does not hit the right frame rail.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

10. Branded

Branded

Johnny.. Speedway axle is what is in the car, everything is already set up with the rear cross steer except the steering box is not installed. May be I'm missing something in your previous post. I'm kind of slow :D

I'm trying to figure out what pitman arm might work using the origonal manual 56 steering box.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

12. Branded

Branded

Thanks Johnny........ I'll try to locate a pitman arm for the 56. Looks like I'll need to cut the ball off the origonal type pitman arm and drill it to accept the 5/8 hiem joint.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No problem. Do yourself a big favor. Find the intro link here on the HAMB and introduce yourself. I didn't see one posted by you. It's a writen rule here and some guys are not as nice as me about just jumping in without one ;).

14. Branded

Branded

Thanks Johnny... should have intoduced myself first I suppose, Didn't intand to disrespect the site. I'll go over and and make my introduction now. By the way looks like all I need is a pitman arm for 55 thru 57 pwer steering car and I'll be good to go. Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as this project comes together.

Dave

15. lawman

lawman

Welcome Branded !!!!!

16. Branded

Branded

Thanks for the warm welcome Lawman

17. jophus

jophus

Welcome Branded. I'm currently dealing with the exact same problem, but with a 55. I have the original non-power pitman arm, but I don't think it will work. Let me know how the power steering pitman arm works out. Good luck.

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

tisk, tisk, tisk. i don't know why everybody goes through so much head scratching when doing straight axles. i have a henry j with an axle on top of the springs and if i can get a pitman arm to go under the 327 chevy oil pan, getting one to do it on a car with as much room as a 55-57 chevy would be a cake walk. just get a pitman arm that fits your steering box and any other one you want to run as the little end. if it doesn't have a standard tie rod tapered hole or better yet, just get a heim joint to match whatever size tubing your cross length is going to be. get a piece of 3/4 thick steel plate. now cut off the big end of the stock arm for the splines. some grinding may be in order to get it round. now get a hole saw and drill the 3/4 plate to accept the splined end. do the same for the little end, if that is what you are going to use or just drill a hole in it for the heim joint bolt. weld the crap out of it. install, heat and bend where needed. viola!!. and don't tell me you can't do this. if you can build a car, you can surely cut and weld a pitman arm.
    have fun. i do it all the time. it was the way pitman arms were done before the forged ones started coming out.

19. What an outstanding read ! and the 56 came out very sweet