Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 1954 Buick Wildcat II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm not going to lie, that thing is ugly....however in the best possible way! The back half looks like they cut a back end off a 53-54 Corvette and the front looks like it's missing front fenders. However, if you look at it from when it was unveiled it's pretty cutting edge! This thing wouldn't have been built by hot rodders/customizers for another 5-7 years!

I like those wheel covers and the color.....it kinda gives me a "TELSTAR" feel.

3. silverdome

silverdome

Just last week a guy in the shop, who's not really a "car guy", mentioned this car. I was just wondering where you got the inspiration for this article?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Wild styling, a little over the top in a few areas but nailhead powered! It would have spanked the pants off the Corvette. Thanks for the history lesson.

5. First time I've seen Buick's 2 seater version on a Corvette platform. I've seen Olds and Pontiac versions. Olds was the best looking of them all.

6. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

tripped out car. different but i like it.

7. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

Not digging the cut outs, other than that I kinda like it.

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are two more GM "One offs." The Pontiac has a straight eight flat head with four side draft Carters' and a high compression head with a performance cam. The Buick is a rear engine straight eight OHV with some performance options too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

10. fms427

fms427

I think this car is up at the Buick Museum in Flint - may be the only one of the B-O-P triplets that GM still owns. Personal taste, but I like this one BEST !!:D

I haven't found the real story, but must have been a GM design contest to see who got the Corvette chassis (before or after Corvette?? Anyone know the story ??)

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm not sure if Harley Earl was directly responsible for this design,but he certainly was in charge at the time.Looks part Corvette,part Roadmaster,and part dune buggy.Interesting...

12. 2935ford

2935ford

It's a good thing they didn't put it into production....man that's ugleeeeee!!!!!!

13. Doug B

Doug B

Looks good from the windshield back....the rest is just fugly

14. even the dog can't look at it
    the guy is saying.. it looked real good when i spotted it with the binoculars....

saying that i'll take it in whatever condition its now in..

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I really dig the brake ducts on the wheel covers.

16. Doug B

Doug B

Looks like it was designed by committee...."Harley,you and some engineers design the rear half....Leroy, you and some of the other drunken janitors design the front..."

17. oldthudman

oldthudman

I always thought it was kind of neat........First pic I've seen with those wheels..........Here's a pic with the wire wheels.....

[​IMG]

18. oldthudman

oldthudman

There were actually 2 Pontiac's "Bonnevilles"...........The one most often seen is metallic maroon......Joe Bortz found the other one that is metallic green.....

Two of my favorite Motorama cars were the Cadillac XP-38 and the El Camino............

19. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I like the Buick and Cadillac roadsters best.

20. texdesoto

texdesoto

The dog is ugly too.

21. catdad49

catdad49

22. autobilly

autobilly

The whole "lack of fender deal" looks better here with the extra front lights to balance it out and hide the "messy bits". I also prefer the wheels and paint.

23. Imho, it needs a front roll pan and the front of the fenders closed in. More like a '58.

24. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

IMHO the '53 Wildcat was a much better looking car.

25. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I prefer the Wildcat over the Wildcat II but I do think it is a very cool car