Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pros and cons of cutting spring coils.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 4, 2011.

1. I know i have started a couple dif threads about lowing but when it comes to cutting the coil springs what are the pros and cons??

I only want to lower it about an inch or so and the aerostar springs do like a 2 1/2 inch drop i think.

So who has cut there springs? Does it make the car sit funny or anything if its not done perfectly right?

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

No matter how many times you cut em, they're still to short...

3. Mattilac

Mattilac

I've never had a problem with cutting coils. As long as you don't take too much out, you'll get the car down some. They say your spring rate increases. Well, that's fine with me, since the car is lower anyway, I'd rather it be a littler stiffer than too soft.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What kinda car?

5. special-k

special-k

I'd do half a coil for a 1" drop. Thats just a guess without seeing your springs.I usually heat the last 1/4 turn to make the spring fit the pocket nicer. I've done that on my last 3 daily drivers without any issues overs the last 20 years.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

really theres no problem cutting them, use a good air powered cut off tool, makes it easy. just be careful taking them in and out. one coil will take you down about 1 to 11/2 inches on a new coil.used coils may take you lower. coils are not that much money if ya have a problem.

7. That's BULLSHIT!!!! It depends on the coil! A thinner coil will drop more than a thicker coil. Cutting 1 coil isn't the same on different coils. There's many factors to consider. New vs old,thick vs thin.
    Example;1coil removed off a 1/2 ton Chevy coil= 2 1/2" drop. 1coil removed off a chevy S10 coil= 4" drop.
    1/2 Ton coil was about 3/4" thick.
    S10 coil was about 1/2" thick.

PROS= Cheap way to lower.
    CONS= You can cut too much off.

You need to sneak up on it. Cut no more than a 1/2 coil at a time. Also,you have to remember....it will settle after a week or two. Especially on thinner coils.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What kinda car?

9. I think it's probably the Ford in his avatar...

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dunno. He didn't specify.....my handle is flatheadpete. I'll be damned if you can find a flathead anywhere near me right now....
    If it is, Aerostar coils. New springs. Dropped my '50 Ford about 2". And they're new!

11. Al Von

Al Von

Last set of coils I cut were on a OT '79 Cadillac Coupe. I Cut 1/2 coil at a time, reinstalled and drove it for a few days to let it settle. 1/2 coil was perfect to drop the back. It took 1-1/2 coils off the front to get it where I wanted it to sit. THAT was a lot of work, but I got pretty fast at swapping the fronts after the third time cutting!

12. agshelby

agshelby

I am getting ready to install the coils (new) on a 57 T-Bird and trying to determine how much, too. I don't have the engine in - so won't be able to tell if half a coil is enough. My plan is to cut half a coil now - and wait until it's all back together to check the height.

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It is important that the cut spring still fit the spring seat. Some springs have a compressed last coil, or are ground flat. Cutting one of those springs will cause the spring to seat improperly, and over time it can cause premature spring failure.

To prevent bottoming with the lower ride height you would ideally use a stronger spring. The spring rate does get stiffer as the spring is shortened, but not enough to fully compensate. That said, lots of people do it, and so long as the spring seat situation is ok, and you don't get carried away, things should work out ok.

The amount of lowering you will get depends on the spring itself, and on the suspension. A spring sitting directly over the axle will lower the car nearly as much as the spring is cut. When the spring is pushing on a linkage or control arm it is typical that whatever you cut off the spring will lower the car some amount(depending on spring to wheel movement ratio) more than that.

Don't get too carried away on a street car because you need some travel to cope with real world roads.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. I wouldn't do anything til after the engine is in.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Pros: don't cost nuthin.

Cons: might take a couple trys to get it right, and if you go to far you gotta find new springs (or find some used ones for free, if you're lucky like I was)

These pros and cons are for someone trying to lower the car just a little bit, not a bunch.

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I thought you might have to cut a complete coil to make fit back right. Man i feel lost .

17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

If there aftermarket you have to cut them they sit way to high ,This was on my ot car the 69 firechicken .I cut a coil and a half that was 2 inches,Sits perfect now,Half inch below ride height factory measured at the rocker molding.....

18. metalix_421

metalix_421

you can messure twice and cut twice if needed just go a little at a time.

19. morac41

morac41

Hi .. Cut coils and lowering over 2 1/2 " is illegal in Australia ..have a wreck and no insurance......get some new ones made to you specifications ..there not the expensive......

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Shit you guys have some real Nazi's in your government!!

21. morac41

morac41

Hi Shaggy They would have all of us off the road if they could....the goverment was trying to bring scrapping all cars over 25 year old...Greens are the problem...

22. squirrel

squirrel

The first coil you cut off won't do as much as the second, so you might try cutting one coil, then drive it around and see how it does. if it's still too high after a week or so, then cut another half a coil. But be sure to drive it around a lot before deciding, and carry some passengers, etc so you see how it works with a load in the car.

23. Ha Ha.

Pro is it is a cheap way to do it.

Con is you loose some suspension travel so you may notice a rougher ride. You probably won't notice much at 1".

Con it is not easy to get right the first try so you may have the springs out several times.

Here is a trick that I use. I set the car on its wheels then get under there and measure the distance between the coils. That is approxamately how much cutting one coil will drop you. Cutting a partial coil to achieve a minute drop can be tricky, one coil on most cars will give you between 1 and 2" So get your best guestimate and then don't cut the full amount the first try.

24. George/Maine

George/Maine

I have cut one coil from MII to make it ride softer and it did but it also lowers it,went up one tire size.Rides to my likeing.

25. squirrel

squirrel

thus defying the laws of physics....

26. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

If you reverse the "U" blocks,will these lift also?

27. yea everyone knows that you heat them to get a softer ride.:p

28. Oh yeah, AND they are also a cure for the common cold, E.D., and will have supermodels with beer lining up outside your garage to have sex with you...

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you have been reading the many posts about the Aerostar springs most that have used them have found a big improvement in the ride and handling of the cars,that has to do with the spring rate. By cutting the original 56 year old springs you are going the wrong direction,here is the right way to go http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr. Gasket/720/1287/10002/-1?CT=999 use this with the Aerostar springs and overall drop will be 1"-1 1/2" just where you want it and you get the nice ride and handling as a bonus.

30. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

you gotta remember that the areo star springs havent been in a car 60 years. they wont sag as much. my buddys 51 had heated springs and we replaced with aero stars and it had the same ride height but drives way nicer.