Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 429 w/ AOD?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolbreeze1340, Nov 22, 2011.

1. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Anybody running an overdrive tranny behind a Ford 429? I am thinking I might need to head that direction if I want to take any long highway trips next spring. I have read about 5spd set-ups but I would like to stay with an automatic. A set-up with just a switch for overdrive would be great. Oh yeah, I'm cheap too so the aftermarket add-on overdrive set-ups are out of the question.:rolleyes:

2. blt2go

blt2go

have zero experience with these, but my tranny guy says they can easily be built to handle 400+hp. don't know what kind of weight your looking to move with it but i would think if it can bolt up it could work. he's building mine to go behind an fe406 in an f2. just for light trailer jobs and run a mucking. he says it will work, we'll find out next month.

3. The AOD was used with small blocks, so an adapter would have to be used. If they are build correctly, they can handle the power. It is operated by a throttle pressure cable, not a switch. I think that Lentech has a mod that allows for a OD switch, but like most things Lentech, it is pricey. Ford did use the electronic overdrives behind big blocks, but that means that you would have to get a transmission control unit to use it. There is plenty of info on these tranny's. Check Lentech, Baumann Engineering, and others.

I have had several AOD's all behind small blocks. They held up well, even given the way I drive.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search for phoenixtransmissionproducts.com . out of Weatherford, TX-lots of parts/information

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

My neighbor insisted on using his 1992 Ford 3/4 ton 460V8 with automatic overdrive truck, to tow my avatar back from San Luis Obispo. I was high bidder on eBay. He said we would switch driving and I had to pay for the gas and all the food. I agreed. Over 400 miles round trip. That engine/tranny ran beautifully the whole trip. You may want to make a trip to the wrecking yard or check on CL and see what they have that's similar.

6. grabrr

grabrr

I have a AOD in one of my 70's cars (small block), at 75 MPH it runs around 1700 RPM on the highway. I love it. Lentech is expensive, but they have them mastered.

7. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I have a built up AOD behind a 390 with an adapter kit from Bendsten's I believe that they make a kit for the 429 as well. If my original trans would have been in working order it may have been cheaper for me to just add a GearVendors Over/underdrive unit instead of buying the kit, the built up AOD having it installed. It was a bit above my garage's ability, although I had to make the throttle cable setup work when nobody else could. Bendsten's also makes a kit to adapt a 700R4 to a 429 I believe.

8. Mark T

Mark T

E4OD is the overdrive transmission that Ford used behind the 460, it will bolt to a 429.

Buy a wrecked truck and get everything you need from it.

9. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Ok - So if I find a big block donor truck with a E4OD, what would I need to rob off it? With it being computer controled how would it communicate with my old ass 429? I will start checkng out some of the vendors listed above but I imagine they will be out of my budget!

10. I don't know if the trucks used a stand alone TCU. If they did, grab it. It will still most likely need a throttle position sensor to know how much throttle it is being given. IF the transmission control was in the engine ECU, I don't think that will work. Several companies make stand alone TCU's however. Compushift and Baumann Engineering come to mind.

11. Mark T

Mark T

12. tjm73

tjm73

The small block AOD will cry uncle eventually no mater what you do to it. It's just not up to that task.

I'll ask you this. How much more will this endeavor cost than going with a 3 speed non-od auto? How much fuel will that difference buy? and finally will you drive the car enough to justify that extra expense up front for the savings it may return over time?

If you want the best possible fuel economy, run a stick. Lots of options with a stick. You can get adapters to put T5 (marginal life span behind a BBF) and T56's from a Camaro/Firebird. By the time you source a strong enough AOD and control it with a ECU, you would have spent more than buying a used T56 and an adapter.

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I know stick would be a cheaper route to take, but at the cost of losing the middle seat for my kid! Right now we can ride three deep in the cab and still be comfy.
    As far as cost vs. use, I think it would be worth it. At 75 mph I'm running about 3300 rpms and that is just too high for comfortable highway cruising. We make numerous 200 mile weekend trips and would like to start traveling farther next summer. I also hope to have my vintage 14' travel trailer done by summer and would like to stick this camper behind the truck. Will a T56 hold up to over 400hp a lot more torque?

14. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

It sounds like you should just switch the differential gears to a higher set. Lower highway rpm and that 429 should have plenty of torque to still get the car moving.

15. blue57ford

blue57ford

The E4OD is a good transmission. Essentially it is a C6 with an overdrive added to it. Physically, it is a huge transmission. You're going to have to take some measurements to see if it'll fit before you go buying one. Study your space and what options that are out there to control the electronics of the transmission.

16. tjm73

tjm73

Big power Camaros run them at the drag strip without major issues. Sure some guys hurt them, but with slicks and sticky race track surfaces, you could hurt almost anything. On street tires on the not sticky road, I think it'd be fine.

Another option if you really want an auto is to run a 200R4. They are pretty tough. Good ratios. Adapters are out there. You could also run a 700R4. They, like the Ford AOD, get a bad rap. But the issues have been worked out and they are pretty tough too.

17. Grumbler

Grumbler

Yes, 200Rs are tough enough, I have one behind a very torque heavy olds 455 that see's occasional abuse at the strip and cruises the freeway at 1800 with 3.42s. I'm very happy with it (except for that DAMN leak thats making me pull it right now during winter downtime...)

18. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I have not seen anything on adapters for the 200Rs, I plan to put one in my other toy so that would be my perfered tranny anyways. I didn't think they could hold up to the torque of a kind of heavy truck with tons of low end torque.
    I did think about a gear swap but it wouldn't be a good combo with set-up the motor is running. I do not have the specs and hope to get them soon but the motor does have a pretty stout cam in it.

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Anybody known of a 200R to BBF adapter out there?

20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Check out this AOD site www.clickclickracing.com if they can run AOD's behind blown Mustangs running low 9's it can work with your 429,plenty of info there.

21. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

To run a E4OD you will need a 91 or older trans with a speedo gear broached onto the output shaft. You must run a speed sensor there and a TPS sensor at the carb, these send the signals to the Bruman control unit. This system works very well as I used one for years in my F450. Not a cheap way to go but you will kill a AOD very quickly. I now run the Ford ZF truck 5 speed stick., now this is one nice trans that can handle anything you can ask of it. I drive my 67 Scout as my daily driver with a 460 & the ZF, the trans shifts so easy you would think it was a car trans.

22. tjm73

tjm73

23. Grumbler

Grumbler

If your going that route something to bear in mind the 700R is Chev bellhousing bolt pattern, the 200R is Buick-Olds-Pontiac. I'd check to make sure

24. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

This quote made me chuckle. What do you think cars turned, rpm wise , back im the 60s and 70s before OD became popular?

3300 rpms is not going to bother and engine. 200 mile trips on the highway is only about a 3 hour drive.

Ive got a 65 Galaxie with a 460 and a C6 behind it. For the last 12 years,I regularly drive it at the speeds and distances your talking about, or higher. And twice a year for the last 9 years Ive driven it to Detroit and The Twin Cities, each trip an honest 6 hours of freeway driving each way, turning 3000 to about 3700 rpm, or more,depending on speed, without issue. The motor has about 64,000 mile on it including blasts down the drag strip. 3300 rpm wont bother it.

Now if you want to reduce the rpm to save a little fuel, or it makes more engine noise then you was to hear, etc, thats another thing

25. greg ducato

greg ducato

I think best bang for the buck will be a plate adapter and a well built 700R4. The 700 is much stronger than the 2004R, and is very close in length and mounting dimension to a C6 so it makes it that much easier.

26. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I have no fear of the motor being able to handle the RPMs but the comfort factor plays a roll. I would like to see more MPG and drop the noise level down a notch or two. I have owned a lot of older cars so I am aware of how they use to run but as I get a little older/ wiser I do like the better things in life.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  27. eberhama

eberhama

All 200R4s are dual pattern BOP and Chev.

I had a stock-ish 460/c6 in a '56 F100 with 2.75 gears and tall tires on the back(255/75/15 I think?) I could pull 15mpg on the highway @ 75 plus. Maybe a cheaper way to go, to play with gearing/tire size.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  28. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Yeah, I'm thinking of a taller tire already (I run 235/75r15s now). The truck has had a "mini-tub" already done so there is plenty of room. Not sure of the mileage I'm getting right now because the truck is new to me and I can't seem to keep my foot out of it! LOL Just trying to get the winter project lined up and I want to be able to put some miles on this spring with a small camper in tow, just don't want to refinance to buy fuel and ear plugs.

29. shocker998md

shocker998md

my 2 cents, you can take it for what its worth.

My F100 has a 352 in it, c-6 and 3.55s out back turning the same tire you have. At first on the highway at 60 MPH it would be right up there at 3000 RPMS or so. I swapped out to a 275/60/15 and it dropped it a good 200 RPMS.

If you really want to drop ur RPMS and you already have your driveline inplace look at tires first. If you pick up some used ones that are bigger that will be a good bang for the buck. Then next look at a gearvendors overdrive. By the time that you freshen up another tranny, get an adapter, drive shaft work and then if its one of the GM ones set up the cables you will be up there in money.

The gearvendors come up sometimes used, and I would think it would be easier to set that up then adapt and GM tranny in it or set up an E4OD.

Sometimes people come up with crazy deals on complete trucks and maybe you will luck out.

And a side note on those 200s, have fun paying for one to hold up good. Ive played alot in the turbo buick world and still have mine. Its a chunk of change to build a GOOD 200.

30. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Thanks for all the input. I will be playing with tire size first because there is enough room back there for tractor tires! I have a few sets laying around so I'll see what that does first. I would really be interested in a good used gearvendors overdrive unit but they seem to be a rare find.