Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help. Old Blackhawk 4 Ton Floor Jack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Benzine440, Jan 2, 2005.

1. I picked up this Blackhawk S4 recently. The oldtimers down at Kimmerle hydraulics tell me this was the very best you could get Besides the great art-deco styling it has some other nice touches. One is a little headlight. It has a trigger grip. The hydraulics work great but it needs a little help.
    It is missing the two front wheels. I was informed that these were special ball bearing arrangements. The trigger handle has had one side broken off and ir appears that the linkage that runs through the handle and connects to the pressure release valve is missing.

Is anyone here familiar with these? I'm seeking technical illustrations that would show what I am missing as well as any sourse for parts.
    There is an overhaul kit available that has o-rings and seals and the like but that isn't what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to restore it and use it in my shop.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. The light:

Attached Files:

3. The handle:

Attached Files:

4. Pressure valve. Something missing here.

Attached Files:

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Good Luck........

If you had a dollar for every vehicle that the jack raised......you would most likely be a wealthy man........

[​IMG]

6. Wow does that bring back memories. Except for the trick light, we had the identical jack in our shop as a daily user in 1973 or so. Fix er up, even if you don't use it, that is art, man.-MIKE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had one too. If I remember right there is a pin missing that locks the handle upright saving lots of dents and scratches. The trigger pulls the pin up letting the handle lower into the pumping location. You'll probably need a parts jack and a friend with a lathe.

8. injectedA

injectedA

9. I knew someone here would have some answers. My internet search gave me the idea that the old companies were offshored. Completely gone. Anything new with the Blackhawk name looks like it came from China.

The handle position trigger is all there and works. I just lubed it and it's pretty smooth. The knob on the end of the handle must have connected to the release valve. The linkage in between is missing. It must have used a universal joint at the bottom. The handle appears to be magnesium. I'm guessing that the broken off horn may have held the switch for the light. I don't see any other likely locations.

There appears to be a keyhole on the knob. Was this to lock the pressure release to prevent accidental release? That would be a rather elegant way to achieve that.

Thanks for the Lube Technology link. That one seems likely to have what I'm looking for.

10. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

I've got a 2 ton and a 4 ton Blackhawk jack
    [​IMG]

The handle doesn't have any switch for the light. In fact I don't know how either the lights get power.
    [​IMG]

The 4 ton does have 2 u-joints to operate the valve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Major cities should have hydraulic repair shops. Here in Santa Fe Springs is Kimmerle Bros.

12. I would expect needle bearings on the front wheels,but that is just a guess.

13. Hey Kat, that's it! Does yours have the keyhole on the end of the big knob?

14. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I believe the key released the knob and made it freewheling so no one could accidently release the jack while there was a load on it. I had a jack and air tool repair business years ago and if I remember right we got most of our repair parts from Beerman Hydraulics in New Orleans, La., they were one of the largest suppliers of repair parts in the country but I have no idea if they are still in business or not. An internet search might turn something up.

Frank

16. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

here is my Blackhawk SJ18 2 ton jack from 1950. Works great but i'm missing one of the rear caster wheels if anyone has one laying around.

Attached Files:

17. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire
    from NC

I recently bought the exact same model (S4) for $25 at a yardsale. I took some WD40 to it, all the parts are there, everything works well. Kinda difficult to use on a gravel driveway. I can only guess that the light on/off switch is the key hole in the top of the handle. I have not yet taken the cover off the light housing too see if there is a battery in there or what condition this inside of this is, but overall it is in quite good condition. I think part MIGHT be available, but they might cost more than you bought the jack for. I do plan on cleaning mine up further and taking it to a locksmith to get the key to use the light feature. Maybe even going as far as painting it.

Any one know what these might be worth in perfect working order?

18. jimmyv

jimmyv

19. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire
    from NC

any idea on how to determine the mfg date (year)? i still have the id plate (model/sn) on mine and readable too. it is in nearly perfect working order except for the light. does anyone collect these?

20. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire
    from NC

i would sell you mine but the shipping would be more than what i would sell it for

21. Talltexan!

Talltexan!
    from Texas

I was wondering how your Blackhawk jack project turned out. I am starting the same and hoped to benefit from your research and experience?

22. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire
    from NC

Well, I have everything done but the paint. I am trying to find something as close to original as i can. I need to strip it first. I will have to disassemble it (again) for paint, I needed to use it, so together it went, changed the oil in the cyl, greased all fittings, and used white lithium grease on all other moving parts. Lifted a 93 Lincoln like it wasnt even there! A wire runs up the handle and I have confirmed that the keyhole is for the Light. I have not brought it to the lock smith yet, but I would figure that I dont need to as the key code is stamped right on the lock. I have tried to do some more research on this piece of American Automotive History, but have not found much.

23. Frank Fox

Frank Fox
    from California

Looks just like mine, including the broken handle. I am looking for a handle and the two "U" joints for the release. Also need the "trigger" for the handle release. The wheels on the front of mine have a oil hole and just a shaft hole through the center and no bearing or bushing. I will need to take it apart and clean it up, and see about the light/ Should there be a lens on the light?
    Thanks.
    Frank

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Frank--go to Garage Journal (a sister site to here). They have several threads on restoring the Blackhawk S4 jacks.

-Brad

25. Frank Fox

Frank Fox
    from California

Brad;
    WE need more like you in this world.
    I found a parts list and picture brake down on line. one of the sites I used from a post on this thread. Not sure what they can supply but requested a bunch of parts
    Looks like mine is a 4 ton Blackhawk model S-4-3. Looks like I was wrong about the front (for that matter) all wheels. They do have roller bearings.
    Found out a friend of mine just got a Blackhawk model S-4 and he said he needs almost the same parts I need.
    I also have an old Heim-Warner? 2 ton that leaks down and on the floor,
    need to take apart and see what it needs.
    Thanks for the help.
    Frank:)

26. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer

OK, guy's here's my 2cents worth on missing cast parts. If you really want a replacement cast iron wheel or part, and have another to cast from. There's a Yahoo chat group something like Backyardmetalcasting.com or something like that, Google the group. They are a pretty good bunch of guys. I'll bet one or even a bunch of them can replicate your parts in a sand casting. I know one of them got into building replacement parts for an old out of date washing machine by accident. The part looked like a Love-Joy coupling but with pins and was made out of plastic. he cast it in Aluminum and I think is now the only source for a replacment part, and he's still cheap.
    Floyd.

27. coltonnapa

coltonnapa

i have an blackhawk s4 i need parts for. anywhere i can get those

28. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I just saved an S4 from the recycler...froze up, but complete down to the light lens. It's a little crusty but believe it may be saved. Will post pics later today.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

may be able to turn down the 'toasted" acrylic light lens on my lathe and buff. I believe I saw a thread a long time ago stating they were not reproduced.

Attached Files:

30. goldmountain

goldmountain

This reminds me of an incident a long time ago. I was working as an apprentice at a large garage when these guys showed up in a pickup truck with lots of old floor jacks in the back. Said that they were picking up the bad floor jacks to rebuild. We all jumped in and helped them load up. Later, the shop foreman asked us where the floor jacks were. We got took.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app