Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clips for a 1950 chevy 3100 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Hello everyone, I need to know what clip I should use to get independent suspension in my truck. I heard nova, camaro, and Pontiac. What is the best solution. And years please... I need to find one for sell, and I need to know what to look for. Thanks.

2. [​IMG]

...all three of these are clipped, GMC uses a 78-87 Malibu or like body clip, middle one uses a 65 Malibu clip, last one uses a 71 Malibu clip.
    68-74 Nova (or clones) and first 3 years Camaro/F-bird work well also.

3. lawman

lawman

"We don't need those "STINK-IN CLIPS" !!!!!!! LOL

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A rear steer Camaro/Nova subframe works pretty well but the steering column and box are misaligned by close to two inches. My truck had that subframe under it in the the photo in the avatar if it has red paint on it. If I used one of those again I would use a front wheel drive column with u joints under the dash to align the column with the steering box. The good thing about that subframe outside of the handling and ride is that the stock AD truck core support will work with little effort. you have to trim some sheet metal around it but nothing major.

This time around though I am using an aftermarket Mustang II style crossmember and tube A arms. Stock MII spindles (so far) and 11 inch disk brakes. Reason one is that I don't have to cut the frame in half and then figure how to get everything to line back up and be square and fit. More money but no figuring how to get a radiator to fit, no figuring how to get front end sheet metal to fit or how you are going to mount it. And if you buy the right kit no battle with getting the wheel/tire combo you want to fit the truck right.

5. we don't need you postin on this thread

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I did a point by point cost/benefit analysis on this same exact topic some time ago....I looked briefly and couldn't set eyes on it but it's in my posts somewhere...

Bottom line, I would never clip another anything again....By the time you find a clip ($) then rebuild the entire clip (brakes, suspention plus source all the shit for meshing things up with the transplant) in addition to the fact that you now have to deal with a way to re-hang your front clip, build a core support, rehang the radiator, clearance and dress your inner fenders, AND get everything to line up you coulda bought a solid aftermarket MII for the price of a clip....

I estimate that (and this doesnt even include time) I have the same amount of money rehabbing a clip as I would have buying a MII and using the original frame....

Mind you, the clip was installed 14ish years ago when the aftermarket parts for these specific vehicles wasn't what it is today....ADDITIONALLY when I clipped my truck 14 years ago, the front end was 14 years newer, I'd immagine that any clip you dig up now is going to be shot out and need some special attention.

FINALLY, with clipping, you have to worry about track width...and dealing with all of those issues and the expense associated with it....MII, will be the right width.

I challenge you, research all the parts to rebuild a 79'-80' camaro clip....then add shop time in to press bushings out and in, PLUS raw fab materials to do the job and you'll see what I mean...

After all of the problems that I have had to solve with my clip, I would NEVER clip another car/truck ever again....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I did a '48 about 12 years ago and used a MII. Worked like a dream, and it rode and handled beautifully. I'd do it again.

8. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

im doin the 3rd ad truck in 6 months with a 75-81 camaro clip... front steer......73-80 novas are nice to get too....mustang II is the best.. but all pending ur budget