Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Trying to save them all.... old junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Oct 14, 2011.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys. I work at a salvage yard in Iowa and we are cleaning out another old salvage yard that was in business from the late 40's to the early 70's. Most of these cars haven't been touch for 30 years. There is aprox 350 cars in various states. Alot of them are too far gone for projects but do have good pieces here and there.

Most of the cars are from the 50's and 60's, buicks, pontiacs, nash, plymouth, chevy, ford. This is a long term project and probably wont be compete till next spring, but thought i should get a list started now so i can keep an eye out for parts you guys need.

Below are some pics of the cars that will be coming out. Alot will be crush and some will be saved for parts. Im guessing about 50/50 Let me know what you need and maybe i can save the part before the car gets crushed. Not looking to get rich just want to save as much as possible. Once their gone, their gone.

Thanks
    Matt Wilson

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. in the 7th pic the 51 or 52 pontiac is it a 4 door? does it have the stainless side trim on it? if it does can you get apic of the trim?

also any 57 or 58 fords in the lot? or 58-60 thunderbird hardtops?

3. tankwilson

tankwilson

The pics only represent a fraction of the number of cars there. Close to 350 cars.

Best thing to do is PM me or reply with a list of what you are looking for.

year, make, model, and parts you are looking for.

I will make a list of what you guys need and do some checking next time i am there. Keep in mind it may be next spring before i can get to some of them. Will be going to yard at least once a week this fall till snow flies

Thanks
    matt

4. Gromit

Gromit

Thanks for doing this. and the picture of the Pontiac with the tree growing through it is a classic. I'll see if there is anything I need.

5. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

I love that pic of the Rambler on it's side with the tree growing out of it! Those pics are both sad and inspiring...

6. tankwilson

tankwilson

Alot of the cars will be crushed just because there in such bad shape. Will be saving alot too. Just trying to save as much as possible. I cant gaurantee anything right now and every trip up there will be a treasure hunt. Get me some lists guys and i will see what i can do.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/581525424YyZEaw

The above link is all the pics i have uploaded. Keep in mind there are alot more cars than pics. Don't worry if you dont see what you need. Let me know anyway.

7. Its still got the slant four engine you can see the starter!

8. dmikulec

dmikulec

Not sure how likely it is that you would find one but I could use a 63 Chrysler New Yorker or 300 grill.

9. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I would like to save them all but Im out of room and cash.

10. Insane 49

Insane 49

11. Thumper

Thumper

It's a great thing your doing.........save what you can.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

wow...that's not a true salvage yard. No way the original intention was to salvage anything at all. Looks like stuff was just brought in and dumped....wherever.

Thanks for letting nearby HAMBers know - hopefully your good intentions will provide some folks with needed parts or good projects.

dj

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Any 55 or 56 fords.

14. tankwilson

tankwilson

Update. Hey guys got your requests printed out and will do some checking. Keep in mind this is a long term process and may take a while to get to the car or part you need. I think i do have some of what your looking for, just going by memory. Will probably be back there this week some time.

They also have alot of motors, hubcaps, and bunch of misc stuff. I think we are even getting a few tractors.

Keep checking back here for updates and more pics.

Thanks
    matt

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You referring to the '61 Pontiac Tempest Rambler? :)

16. tankwilson

tankwilson

I got list of your guys parts. Took a trip there last week and cleaned out a little shed full of hub caps, motors, trans, and crap. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks
    matt

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Matt,
    Where is the yard? I'm assuming somewhere down by Ottumwa. Would it be open to walk sometime?

18. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I know you said 50's and 60's cars but if there is 1932 essex terraplane I could use the serial number ident plate of the fire wall. I have another post in the wanted section here also for it. Also right and left coupe doors would be nice and interior window garnish mouldings.

Thanks appreciate your effort to save this stuff. Wish there was one big HAMB junkyard for everything.

19. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Let me know if there are any late 30's Chevy/gmc trucks.
    Specifically after 37-38 stuff.

20. 32fenderless

32fenderless

This looks like the yard in Monroe. Run by the daughter's of the original owner

21. Wish it weren't so far up there....I'd like a shot at the cab in the first pic, or any others of the same era.

Save what you can! Better than the PO was doing!

22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Do tell.......I've never heard of this yard. Is it an active yard or just a bunch of cars owned by the daughter?

23. tankwilson

tankwilson

Im not at liberty to disclose the location right now. Boss wont let me.

Thanks
    matt

24. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Tank 65 dodge cornet any thing

25. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

26. 48buickkid

48buickkid

stay away from that last one man...christine lives on. Let me know if there is any 47-48 buick roadmaster stuff really need bumpers but everything else would be considered

27. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Pics of said daughter?

28. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Great thing your doing, wish i lived near by.

29. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

30. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

will you sell any of the parts off that 41-46 chevy truck and is their any mor e of them.thanks