Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53' IHC R110 Build thread "CRAZY IVAN"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rgrhoward, Oct 15, 2011.

1. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Thought it was about time I started one of these, and I’m deployed so there is not much else to do here, but it does give me plenty of HAMB time! SO here goes it. Picked up the truck a few days past my 25th birthday, I was home on block leave and a buddy was letting me cruise his 50' IHC L110. I fell in love. On the plane ride back from Indiana to WA I was searching Craigslist and I found it. 53' R110 $500, no pics. Straight from the airport to the guys house to check it out. No motor or tranny but everything else was there, and the truck was completely apart. I mean completely, came with 4 coffee cans of nuts and bolts. So a flatbed truck and trailer $150 for the owner and his 2 young sons to help me get it home. I didn’t have a truck at the time. [​IMG]</O:p
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    First order of business was getting everything organized… yeah right!<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

After much debate and a lot of HAMBing I started to gather parts. Looking back I should have done more research. Went from a mustang 2 clip, to a Nova sub frame (didn’t fit) finally settling on an AMC pacer front clip. It fit the frame rails perfect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Morrison Ladder Bar rear, GM 10 bolt. Once again looking back I wish I would have done more research and checked the gears before I purchased. It’s a factory POSI 2.44 gears. I will be upgrading to 3.73 when I get home. I have a 700r4 and I don’t think I will even hit OD.
    [​IMG]
    Cab mocked up for my motor mounts.
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p[​IMG]
    </O:pEverything coated.
    [​IMG]

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

4. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Me and a buddy who has a 54’ went halves on a 55’ to rob some parts off of. I took the core support, and the roof. The roof should save some fab time when the top is chopped.
    [​IMG]
    Picked up a 68’ 327 off of a friend.
    While the motor was being machined I started on an old Hobson tank I picked up at a swap to feed some fuel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dropped the 327 in did some light polishing on the original finned aluminum valve covers.
    So when I get home I will put the Trans in and take it from there. My girlfriend is starting to complain about not being able to walk around the house due to all of the boxes that are showing up. I have been ordering a lot of stuff so I can get this on the road when I get home. I am planning on a 1 FEB No Later Than running/driving date. We will see… <O:p></O:p>
    <O:p> </O:p>NOTE: I always name my vehicles, the name has to start with the first letter of the brand. I had a 55 Chevy “CHUCK”. The IHC got named “IVAN”, which turned out to be “CRAZY IVAN” because I had no idea what I was getting myself into with my 1<SUP>st</SUP> frame off build. A lot of time I wanted to pull my hair out, and Old Cornbinder parts are hard to come by. All in all it has been a great experience and I have learned a lot over the past year. Thank you everyone for posting all of your experience on the board, it is truly helpful. More to follow when I get state side. <O:p</O:p

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Haven't you got the suspension in there back to front?

6. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Come again?

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I mean the suspension looks like it is in there backwards. Didn't it face the other way in the Pacer?

8. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Honestly i have never seen one in a Pacer. I had a friend put the clip in last time i was deployed so i hope its right! I do believe this was number 49 or 50 that he has installed, he uses them in everything.

9. kyteryan

kyteryan

The truck looks great! It has come a long, long, long way and I cant wait for you to get it on the road. That 327 is going to be mean.

10. RatPin

RatPin

Nice work! Come Feb. You should bring him down to Oregon and we can compare notes.

11. You got the fever ! looks good,nice job. Keep on" chugalugin"

12. more pics please . thanks you .

13. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Made it home safe and sound from Afghanistan. Here is what i have done so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3" Chop is complete and metal sprayed, can't take credit for this. Had a buddy down in Tumwater do it while i was gone. I mounted the Transmission right before i put the cab on and got the brakes set in. Got the Lokar shifter and E-brake mounted. I had to build an additional bracket for the e-brake so it fit correctly. Right now i am working the interior, killing all the rust and insulating everything.

Starting 2 weeks of much needed leave today, so a lot more work to be done. I will post as i get stuff done, the list is pretty long.

14. Buzzman72

Buzzman72

Your truck sounds like where I'm headed with my '52 L-110. I'm looking at a 4" top chop, pretty much the way you did yours because those rear cab windows are already small enough, IMHO. Going the Pacer clip route as well. The AMC guys I talk to say that a '93 Mustang rack can be adapted to the Pacer sub with minimal difficulty, and they're a lot more plentiful and cheaper to boot. Just bought my MIG this past summer, so I want to get a little more acquainted with flux core before I start the chop. I have the Pacer's 304 AMC V8 and 998 Torqueflite to start with, and an AMC 360 to build.

I like where you're going with this one...it's almost as if you've been reading my mind.

15. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

I have a mustang 2 power rack on the pacer. Fits right up with an easy to fab bracket.

Nice to hear of some more Corn Binders getting some attention.

16. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Ok i have been seriously slacking on this build thread, so here are some updates in not particular order.

Couldn't find a spot i liked to mount the tail lights so i built a bumper, nothing fancy just some angle iron and sheet metal but maybe it will keep the cops off my ass.

[​IMG]

And finished.
    [​IMG]

17. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

The column is mounted and the gauges were rebuilt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Had to modify my hugger headers to clear the steering. We will see how good they seal, i think they are going to be fine. Also i had the headers Metal Sprayed with Aluminum so the will dissipate heat better and i will have no pinholes from where i cut and welded them.

[​IMG]

Metal sprayed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also i have ran my plug wires, put in the battery, POR-15d my inner fenders and installed the heater.
    [​IMG]

19. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Decided to run some Chrome smoothies from Jegs, and my Alliance Discount paid off nicely when i got my WWW from Coker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

And finally a Mockup of the sheet metal in the front.

[​IMG]

My current projects are -
    Finishing up my SPW Power Wiper Kit.
    Adjusting the rear and getting a driveshaft made.
    Radiator should be in this week and im ready for the first start up!

21. Buzzman72

Buzzman72

OMFG! Who did your gauges? I LOVE that the original font was used on the 120 MPH speedo, as well as the voltmeter! That's EXACTLY what I'm looking to do on my truck. I haven't found the exact font for the gauges, but I was planning on doing them myself when I found the right font. Closest font I've found is Bank Gothic Demi, but it's not perfect.

22. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Got them done by Bobs Speedometer of Howell, MI. EXCELLENT WORK but a little bit spendy.But then again you get what you pay for. Check out the link below.

http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

23. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

It's looking great brother. You gonna have it rollin come June? We'll have to make a trip to go grab the '56, park them in front of your house, grab some lawn chairs and a cooler full of beer and make a day out of sitting in the sunshine telling war stories and lies about our trucks. You know how it is...it's the simple things in life you miss the most.

24. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

i LIKE IT!
    A friend and I were involved in a little rat IH just like yours and I kinda fell in love with these trucks.
    Love your Air cleaner idea,& I respect the quality work you are doing!

25. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

This thing is biiitchiin!

26. Progress looks great,keep up the good work and getter done.

27. ALTRD-TA

ALTRD-TA
    from Slc, Utah

subscribing. Very nice build! I didn't think I would ever want to chop the top on mine, but I think you have convinced me that is the route to go when I get the funds to do so. I also never thought of putting another front suspension setup under besides using a camaro subframe or a custom mustang 2 setup. Time to start looking for an AMC pacer front end. Thanks for the details and keep up the progress!

28. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Way to long since I have added to this. Got the truck together last summer just before our first show in may. Here it is. I literally bolted the rear fenders and running boards on 10 min before we left the house.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1365043316.652759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1365043352.369477.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  29. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Featured a cheap rattle can paint job all summer and had a ton of fun at the shows. Had a few small issues but nothing the hamb couldn't clear up.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1365043460.685602.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1365043478.584976.jpg

Scored a pretty cool light mirror combo at a white elephant gift exchange. Fits perfect.

30. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Pretty much brings us to this winter. After a lot of research and mainly checking out RatPins build, I had to set her on the ground.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365043656.635772.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1365043681.219471.jpg

Taught myself to TIG and I hand made every piece of my air ride setup. ALL TIG EVERYTHING. Talk about a PITA but a ton of great practice.