Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I'm addicted to that show! Everyone i've talked to thats seen it loves it. We al just wish it wasn't aired at 10pm on a sunday night! Makes all us young'ns wish we could grow up in an era like that. People had so much pride and class for who they were

2. JT120

JT120

Fake picture from a 1977 Warn winch ad.

3. Chris Garner

Chris Garner

Here in the UK I am fascinated by this vexillological discussion on your flag...and quite rightly so. A flag is a country's national emblem.
    Our flag, The Union Jack, composed of the crosses of St George, Andrew and Patrick, is complex enough to be easily flown upside down - which it frequently is, even extending to council & government buildings!
    In fact I'm sure many here would be hard pressed to know which way up it should be.
    An upside down Union Flag signifies distress...and the way we are all suffering here economically perhaps that's how it should be!!

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. swi66

swi66

8. swi66

swi66

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Exactly Jimi :) I don't think he did either, just showing his patriotism. I just find the speculation about this kind of thing fascinating :D

Here Here! :D ....guess I'll have to fly mine more often.

I have to agree...it is a bit big to be a casket flag. If it was a Navy ship or Capitol flag, it would have only flown between July 3rd 1896 and July 4th 1908...a 12 year period.

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

I have always lurked on this thread and posted once or twice...but never really contributed.

So here ya go, a few family photos that I think are plenty fitting:

My Grandfather and my Great-Aunt Nioma, circa 1912-1913
    [​IMG]

Grandpa Fred (driving), Great Grandpa Charles (standing), Great Uncles Richard and Harold, Gr-Grandma Katie (seated in back) and Gr-Grandpa Christian Simonson (seated with mustache). c. 1920
    [​IMG]

Grandpa on a camping trip 1921
    [​IMG]

11. jimandsharynp

jimandsharynp
    from Florida

What did they call those riding toys that you pulled and pushed and didn't peddle?

12. jipp

jipp

now where is the dog, it surely deserved a treat that day.. man, duck is good eats.

now this is the biggest tub iv seen.. man..

yeah, world is way to pc today.. o well.. could make a joke about Mexicans *I find Mexican women very sexy so just making a jab at a stereo type here*in the tub, but that be wrong. even tho im sure they would laugh too

chris.

13. jimandsharynp

jimandsharynp
    from Florida

[​IMG]

THERE IS A HUGE, HUGE STATUE OF THIS IN SARASOTA, FLORIDA. MUST BE AT LEAST 75 FEET TALL

14. jimandsharynp

jimandsharynp
    from Florida

No kissing? What's with the gal in the lower right? Are those lips set for kissing?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Flatulence really is a problem in polite company.:D

[​IMG]

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^Oh man, I was on the floor without even reading a word posted. :D

17. This entire thread is a great slice of history. But when a bit of family heritage or references to known persons, places of events are made, it's even better.
    thanks for sharing!

18. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Agreed...those were great MrModelT...thanks for sharing them!!:cool:
    Feel free to share more if you have them...please!

19. chip chipman

chip chipman

A Rambler!!!

20. +42

When I look at these photos that are simply posted with no references, they're just images. But when someone takes the time to note who, where, and/or when, they become living pictures that teach us about what was happening in our history.

21. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I've been rather busy the last few days so I have not had a chance to post.
    Here are a few to keep the ball rolling.

22. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

One more should do it?
    Hope everyone finds something to enjoy.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by jimandsharynp [​IMG]
    What did they call those riding toys that you pulled and pushed and didn't peddle?
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nice timing there, Chip! :D You saw the opportunity and went for it.
    Where's the drummer with a rim shot when you need him??? :rolleyes:

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by raceron1120 [​IMG]
    This entire thread is a great slice of history. But when a bit of family heritage or references to known persons, places of events are made, it's even better.
    thanks for sharing!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Quote NitroBrother

+42
    When I look at these photos that are simply posted with no references, they're just images. But when someone takes the time to note who, where, and/or when, they become living pictures that teach us about what was happening in our history.

Jimi: Amen! History was taught in a dry, boring way back when we were in high school. :mad: Dog's thread makes it interactive and brings it to life. :cool: I'm sure he didn't know that it was going to take on a life and character of its own, back when he did Post #1!

As with the flag discussion, the communication about what was HAPPENING in a given photo makes for a very informative, enjoyable experience. :) I'm always amazed at the KNOWLEDGE in the HAMB community, and the pix provide the key to some truly enriching interchanges! :eek:

KEEP the photos coming and, PLEASE, include any known ID's, dates, locations, etc.! :eek: AN ADDED BENEFIT is that even a simple caption or word then makes that photo SEARCHABLE when you want to go back and find it! :D Those extra minutes you spend doing a post are greatly appreciated. THANKS, all!

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

I shall do! I have a large collection of these, so I will be sure to post more soon!

26. scrubba

scrubba

Jimi, you add a helluva lot to this forum to brutha. Keep it up ! scrubba

27. A very rare (today) Walker DynaMotive Gas/Electric delivery truck. These had a really interesting , but brief history. Here's a little article on the only known one in captivity.
    I accidentally spotted it during a visit to the NATMUS museum storage basement a few years ago, and later Jay was able to get a hold of it and restore it. His restoration is flawless.

http://www.jcristmuseum.org/walker.SHTML

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    HJmaniac likes this.
  28. MrModelT

MrModelT

As promised, a few more from the family album:

Great-Grandpa Charles and Grandpa Fred pouring concrete at my father's boyhood home that they built in 1939.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grandpa Fred with "favorite School teacher" sometime before 1920
    [​IMG]

Grandpa Fred, Great-Uncles Richard and Harold, Great-Grandpa Charles and Great-Grandma Katie at the "Vista House"..Crown Point, in the Columbia River Gorge. Circa 1920
    [​IMG]

Some sort of youth retreat sometime during WWI. Grandpa Fred is seated at left and Great Aunt Nioma is standing, back row..second from left.
    [​IMG]

The Paddison Family home, circa 1913. Grandpa Fred and Great-Aunt Nioma are seen in the photo with the family dog. There is a great story about that Dog. My grandfather would tie baloney skins together into a long "string"...feed it to the dog, and then slowly pull it back out and repeat :D

...He said the dog just loved it and would smile the whole time. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Great-Grandma Katie and Grandpa Fred, at "Vista House" Circa 1920
    [​IMG]

"Snow shoeing" in Washington State 1924. Grandpa Fred (at right) and Great-Grandpa Thomas H. Stevenson (at left).
    [​IMG]

Grandpa Fred and Great-Grandpa Charles working on the Family "Ranch" in Estacada, Oregon during WWI. The truck is a 1916-18 GMC K-19. Gr-Grandpa Charles never really got the hang of the whole "driving a car" thing. If he wanted to stop, he would simply run it into a ditch or a tree....so my Grandfather always drove. When they abandoned the farm to come to Portland....they just left this truck sitting in the barn, Grandpa was always upset about that. Wonder where it is now.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy! :D

53caddy likes this.
  29. The design is timeless and very attractive but unfortunately it is too small to be practical these days.

30. Mike

Mike

I reckon that lovely bunch doesn't have to worry much about "lip touching".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.